Sharing your water - survival, comfort, or ethical question ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's tough to answer. There are just so many variables. So I'll wimp out by saying "it depends".

Bottom line: I'll help someone out whenever possible. But I will not make my wife a widow in order to keep someone else's wife from becoming one.

I would have to agree with most of the people interviewed. I would share if it didn't put me in jeopardy. I always carry a water filter and 3-4 liters when I set out on a hike. It seems that the person who died sealed his own fate by not heeding the advice of others. In our neck of the woods, unless its winter water isn't as scarce as Arizona. The question is when do you draw the line helping your fellow man. For me its when you make yourself a victim

I think this line sums it up:

“As long as you don’t trade positions completely and put yourself in danger, you usually look out for your neighbor,” said Tyler Shean, 22, of Manor, Tex"

I've given one stranger water anyway on Boott Spur on Mt. Washington, but it rarely ever comes up. I suppose because it's the Northeast and not hot and dry Arizona. Water's not usually far away here.

I would not want to be that thirsty and without water.

That's tough to answer. There are just so many variables. So I'll wimp out by saying "it depends".
Yes.

It's a proportion, a balance, a scale. Expending your resources (as you assess the [now] dead guy needs them) vs. risk to you.

All your resources at no risk to you, sure, the (now) dead guy gets it all. Time, effort, water, electrolytes, argument & persuasion, forceful physical intervention; he gets everything you've got.

At 10% risk to you, yeah, all.

Approaching 20%, you keep some reserves.

When your own risk (at unlimited support for the dead guy) gets much above 20%, you start significantly rationing your resources.

At the point your own risk approaches 50% you start rationalizing that you've given enough already. Anything above 50%, it's a slam dunk; you've done enough; he's on his own

I think its about making the assessment, can this person survive without my help. It they are that desperate, my hike is over. I give them what resources I can spare, tell them to stay put and I turn around an go for help. Would you leave a person on the side of the trail with a broken leg and not go for help.

I think its about making the assessment, can this person survive without my help. It they are that desperate, my hike is over. I give them what resources I can spare, tell them to stay put and I turn around an go for help. Would you leave a person on the side of the trail with a broken leg and not go for help.

Very well said. I would do the same.

Freightrain expressed it well.
"The question is when do you draw the line helping your fellow man. For me its when you make yourself a victim."
I carry a package of electrolyte replacement to reconstitute in water that I purchased at REI or EMS "just in case". Hiking with Molly, I also carry quite a lot of extra water.

I'm a believer in personal responsibility. Regardless of how much I have, I won't share. If a person doesn't have enough water, they'll just have to suffer the consequences. "Live free or die," isn't that how the refrain goes?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
That’s an easy one.

Generally speaking, if someone else is in need, I'll help if possible.
Personal responsibility and human compassion are not mutually exclusive.

Congratulations!

You're the one millionth person to misuse that phrase.

Sorry there's no prize.

Live free or die, death is not the worst of evils. That is general john starks full quote. And I bet if he was still alive he would share his water with a thirsty stranger.

I'm a believer in personal responsibility. Regardless of how much I have, I won't share. If a person doesn't have enough water, they'll just have to suffer the consequences. "Live free or die," isn't that how the refrain goes?

:rolleyes:

Hmm ... that's a rather extreme stance. I don't think you'll be getting lots of PM's in the near future requesting you join a hike! ;)

My reaction to the situation is like so many others - if there's any way I could help, I will. I've given water and other aid to people in the past, and am sure I will in the future.

TEO's position, unfortunately, is not unusual - A couple of years ago, I was standing in a cold, driving rain, flagging down cars and requesting assistance for a passenger in a spectacular rollover accident who, though ambulatory, was becoming hypothermic. All the person needed was a ride to a visitor center - no other help needed. At least 30 drivers flatly refused - and then suddenly, two vehicles stopped, and helped without any urging at all.

A couple of years ago, I was standing in a cold, driving rain, flagging down cars and requesting assistance for a passenger in a spectacular rollover accident who, though ambulatory, was becoming hypothermic. All the person needed was a ride to a visitor center - no other help needed. At least 30 drivers flatly refused - and then suddenly, two vehicles stopped, and helped without any urging at all.
I've had a similar experience on Mt Washington. We had helped a man and small boy up Huntington Ravine and shared our raingear and insulation with them on the cool, drizzly, and breezy flats above. (They were wearing cotton T-shirts and had no pack. The pack was with an older boy who had gone ahead and was going to meet them at the summit.) I had difficulty getting a motorist to give them a ride to the summit--I literally had to stand out in the road waving my arms to get a car to stop.

I generally believe that one should help other hikers in need if one can without endangering oneself. Next time, you may be the one in need of help...

Doug

... Next time, you may be the one in need of help...

There's an expression - "Pay ahead". Although I don't think that thought enters the head of most people who instinctively offer assistance.

Hmm ... that's a rather extreme stance.

Indeed it is, indeed it is. I guessed people missed the :rolleyes:.

(If you mouse over :rolleyes:, you might notice that it says "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic).")

One of my weak spots is that I fail to learn the lesson that sarcasm on the internets will *always* be misunderstood. [Bad TEO, bad TEO]

Last edited:
Indeed it is, indeed it is. I guessed people missed the :rolleyes:.

(If you mouse over :rolleyes:, you might notice that it says "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic).")

One of my weak spots is that I fail to learn the lesson that sarcasm on the internets will *always* be misunderstood. [Bad TEO, bad TEO]

Sorry I didnt catch that I nolonger think you are a horrible person:eek:

I had a couple of young hikers come up to me on a summit a couple of weeks ago. They saw my water bottle out after giving water to Bookah. She didn't want any more and there were streams a mile away on the way for her. They looked thirsty and had a pleading look. Only happy to fill their bottle. Was actually kind of embarrassed as they made a real big deal about thanking me.

Got me thinking about posting what people do. I agree with the 'it depends' folks. This will sound odd to any but hikers with dog companions - pooches can't speak for themselves so in general my first responsibility is to Bookah who can't carry her own water on a dry hike. But I'd always share what I could for people in need.

I had a couple of young hikers come up to me on a summit a couple of weeks ago. They saw my water bottle out after giving water to Bookah. She didn't want any more and there were streams a mile away on the way for her. They looked thirsty and had a pleading look. Only happy to fill their bottle. Was actually kind of embarrassed as they made a real big deal about thanking me.

Got me thinking about posting what people do. I agree with the 'it depends' folks. This will sound odd to any but hikers with dog companions - pooches can't speak for themselves so in general my first responsibility is to Bookah who can't carry her own water on a dry hike. But I'd always share what I could for people in need.
One of the most embarrassing (for the recipient) instances happened when I was hiking the Hancocks on a rainy morning a few years back. A group of young scouts -- or maybe it was a camp group -- was stopped and the leader was trying to help some poor kid with a bad blister. The leader had nothing much to use for help. So I gave him a few band aids and a little Vaseline. Trip leader -- NO BAND AIDS! Yikes.

I've shared my water many times. If the situation was dire I would share what I could and get help.

I'd abandon my hike or bagging a peak if it ment saving someones life. No question, no doubts, no hesistation.