Hunting Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
Just an FYI, bear season opened September 1st in NH. Also a couple types of small game opened the 1st, and of course Coyote and Woodchuck are open year-round.

I was unaware, until I bumped into a nice gentleman at the Cobble Hill TH in Landaff today. He was looking to go out for bear. He decided to go "to his other spot," upon seeing me going in hiking. Be safe out there!

NH Hunting dates and seasons

Last edited:
OH NO!!! Not that again. :eek:

I forget it starts early. Molly will surely have to wear her orange vest because from the rear she looks like a big black bear.

Last edited:
Isn't that a little early to take a pup on a hike?

I have Molly wear hers even in the most civilized places, especially during deer season. There was an incident of a Golden Retriever shot in a town park somewhere in So NH several years back. I go to a reservoir in No Brkfld where dogs are allowed. I do here guns going off so I try to use a whole lot of caution. Kodi, my Akita, had the same coloring as a deer. Molly is more bear like.

Chip brings up a good point about it being "hunting season for something year round." I tend to forget that. Think I will have Molly wear her bear bell this year.

Isn't that a little early to take a pup on a hike?

LOL! Of course it is, Tom! But it's not too soon to do short hikes in the woods when we are in Twin Mountain! :).

We have been checking out places we otherwise would overlook -- short and sweet redlines on flat trails... Big Pines in Waterville and Pondicherry Preserve are two new favorites for puppy sized hikes ;-). We might break a mile next week!

Last edited:
Bump!

FYI, Deer "regular firearm" season opened today in NH. Which, I think usually brings out a decent amount of hunters to certain areas.

And just to reiterate...
Preemptively, the thread is to alert readers to season dates, not a place to discuss hunters vs hikers as often happens.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have seen an increase in hunting activity now that (firearm) deer hunting season in NH is coming to a close. Please be safe out there. FWIW: Just found a tree stand .17 miles from my living room, hopefully it is a bow hunter. No debate here, just a personal point of interest.

Z