Mohonk sells 874 acres to OSI

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikie

Reaction score
When I was a teenager (great many years ago), I worked for the Mohonk Mountain House on the grounds. More specifically, I was a trail maintainer and builder. During that time I became good friends with the owners (at that time, Keith and Dan Smiley). One of the big concerns for them was the taxes on the large parcels of land that they owned. There was always the concern that this magically land would end up in the wrong hands. They are now long gone, but their concern for future generations will now be protected. Mohonk Mountian House has sold 874 acres to the Open Space Institute. This land will forever be protected for future generations. I am still humbled by their ability to think so far into the future. For those who don't know, Dan Smiley was at the center of the creation of the 3500 club.

You can read more about the story here: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Mohonk-Mountain-House-owners-sell-land-to-Open-1624161.php

That's awesome!

Love the Gunks --- got me wholeheartedly into hiking on my first visit there some 26 odd years ago :)
(omg am I really getting THAT old??)

Anybody know how they fared Irene? The waterfalls must have been spectacular!

Not sure about the Mohonk Preserve but I think Minnewaska SP was closed for a bit...

Jay

Not sure about the Mohonk Preserve but I think Minnewaska SP was closed for a bit...

Jay

I wonder how footpaths like Gertrude's Nose and Blueberry Run fared? The last time I was there, parts of the Carriage Way were washed out and closed after a 100 year rain storm, IIRC-- that was five years ago. I can only imagine what Irene did!

Anyone have a map of the newly acquired lands, showing the relationship to the existing climbing areas? I searched, but could not find - the map on the OSI site is not useful.

Any cliff areas included? Anyone know OSI's plans for the land?

(I ask because I'm not sure if this isn't a mixed blessing. From the OSI site:

"Threats to the Region...
...Recreational use by almost a half million hikers, rock climbers, mountain bikers...")

Anyone have a map of the newly acquired lands, showing the relationship to the existing climbing areas? I searched, but could not find - the map on the OSI site is not useful.

(I ask because I'm not sure if this isn't a mixed blessing. From the OSI site:

"Threats to the Region...
...Recreational use by almost a half million hikers, rock climbers, mountain bikers...")
This is right in my back yard. I'm glad to report that most of it does not look like 1/2 million people visit it each year. And yeah, I'd like to see a better map.

I can't answer that as far as the lands in this purchase that are actually on the ridge (if any), but I can say this:

Some (most?, all?) of this acreage is not even on the ridge at all, let alone near cliffs. Lands adjacent to Butterville Rd, Gatehouse Rd and Pine Rd are mostly around the base of the ridge and are mostly old fields with patchy woods. Pine Rd does climb a bit up a lower slope and is in the woods on this section. For the old fields I imagine that OSI is more concerned with protecting wildlife habitat than public access. Public access on the lands themselves is probably not all that desired anyway (anyone up for hiking through tick-infested tall grass?). The way these lands are currently used is usually birders and casual walkers walking along the paved roads.

Protection of the old fields is great news to my thinking, public access or not. For one, those lands around the base of the ridge are much more at risk for "development" than those up on the ridge itself. And two, old field/grassland habitat is much less protected and harder to come by these days than are wooded slopes, probably mostly for the reason I state above. Several grassland bird species desperately need habitat protection, including bobolinks, eastern meadowlarks, rough-legged hawks, northern harriers, short-eared owls, grasshopper sparrows, upland sandpipers and others.

What I'm wondering is what OSI plans as far as managing the succesion of the fields. Will they selectively mow or burn (outside of the aforementioned birds wintering or breeding seasons, obviously) or will they let the forest come back?

Matt

I have a map of the properties (sorry, I am not at liberty to post a copy) and have been on the properties. The land is mostly farm land and sections of wooded land. None (or little - I'm working from memory) of the land associated with this specific transaction is on the ridge or cliffs.

I believe the intent is to eventually turn the land over to the Mohonk Preserve. I also believe that the intent will be to maintain farmland as farmland, protect views of and from the ridge, provide access to the ridge, and ultimately to provide an uninterrupted network of rail trails throughout the region.

Well, that does sound like good news. Thanks!