Mountain Lion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dog track

Well, the Concord (Mass) Journal had a full page story. I haven't read it yet, but they had a good picture of a "track". First thing I said when I saw it was "dog track", and the journal caption indicated that the photographed track could be a dog track.

There is a large population of coyotes here. I've seen them on numerous occasions.

Fitz

Lion

As a soloist. I see alot of wildlife as 1 person is less intrusive then a group. Two years back I was hiking in the backcountry of the Sierra's, just within the boundry of Yosemite national park on the back side of Mt.Dana when I saw something scamper by. I approached slowly and sure enough it was Lion. Now it's funny what you think you would do and what you really do in that kind of situation. At first I froze and so did he(or she) and we just looked at each other. My first thought was big the animal was, having seen my share of Bobcat in the east, I can tell you it surprised me and quite frankly made me quite apprehensive how much biiger a lion is then a bobcat. This lion was at least 6 ft long head to tail and his head was huge as where his feet, I estimate his weight at least 150 lbs but thats certainally an uneducated guess. I carry a knife with me and pulled it out, but as I did I thought 2 things, first I dont think I was any match for this Lion, second He was so beautifull I would never want to hurt him.
Anyway he studied me for I dont know a minute, then determined I wasnt prey( not sure how) and he was gone as quick as he came. He ran away back and forth and covered the grounf to the woods like nothing. I rank his as one of my best moments in all my years in the backcountry.

P.S. If I had young childeren and I hiked anywhere near where there was a recent study, I would keep them very close. There have been multiple attacks in the west recently and it is naive to think if a lion saw your kids he wouldnt attack them, they would in a minute. Lion's are like sharks, there primary concern is food and other then breeding thats what they do, HUNT.