(Maine) Baker Stream, Piscataquis, Kennebec Ferry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whichway

Reaction score
Just passing on a notice that's going around my town...

Please share this with North Bound Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers:

[Begin Forwarded Message]
As of 11:15 this morning, the Kennebec Ferry is shut down until further
notice. The water is just too high/fast. I managed to get 13 NOBO hikers
across yesterday, and I took 1 SOBO and 4 [young, strong, experienced
canoeists] NOBO hikers this morning, but it is simply not worth the risk to
continue running as the water continues to rise.

Tim Harrison has posted the notice at the Pierce Pond Road crossing, and I have posted a notice on the west [trail south] bank of the river. I will also be there, or have someone there, on the East bank of the river during all normal operating hours. Hopefully, we will be running again in a day or two, but with the rain coming in right now, I just don't know.

The word I'm getting is that hikers can't get across Baker Stream [Moxie Pond or the Picataquis, either.....

I have notified Northern Outdoors, the Caratunk Post Office, Shaw's, in Monson, and the Stratton Motel.

Please spread the word.

David P. Corrigan
Registered Maine Master Guide
Fletcher Mountain Outfitters
82 Little Houston Brook Road
Concord Twp., Maine 04920
207-6724879
[email protected]
www.realwindinfoforme.com
[End Forwarded Message]

I looked at the river stream flow in Bingham and this so far has a bigger impact than the remnants of Irene. I expect any storage on Flagstaff Lake got filled up during Irene so there is no place to put the water except down the river.

This is particulary tough for throuhhikers as many hung out in Gorham NH during Irene and would just about be getting to this spot by now. Plus I expect many did a flip flop to Katahdin to avoid the Vermont closure and they would also be in that general area.