Garfield Ridge tent site - shelter being replaced

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
Saturday night (9/10) the AMC dropped in the supplies to replace the shelter at the Garfield Ridge tent site. The caretaker informed the folks who were staying there that night that they would be the last in the old shelter, so it's possible it's already gone.

The new shelter is supposed to be very similar to the new Kinsman Pond shelter -- arched entry, with a loft for sleeping. The main beams were quite impressive - at 250 to 300 pounds apiece, the chopper brought them in 2 at a time.

They also dropped in 2 Bear Boxes, which the caretaker said the AMC is installing at all the shelters and tentsites, since apparently they've been having "issues" at Guyot, and they want to stop it before it spreads.

Lumber delivery

Image-9556519-138346916-2-Web_0_6170dd7fa0d18c5201ad618c366f8479_1

Image-9556519-138346923-2-Web_0_3034652f30960acc07920953b05590c1_1

they came over to say hello !!!

Image-9556519-138346734-2-Web_0_1beaa7a647f347665d9866fdf2ae1962_1

Cool entryway. Will there be a loft in there similar to Kinsman, Imp, etc? I assume, yes.

The will need a significantly larger helicopter than the one pictured if they plan to helo the shelter into place.

Are these shelters (that have a caretaker/fee during the season) just open during the winter, like a lean-to or tent site ?

Yes, caretakers usually are out sometime after Columbus Day. Definitely by the end of October.

I too was thinking of staying there this weekend. I called the AMC today and they said that they still need to put the shingles on the roof so they are "discouraging people from staying in the shelter unless there is an emergency." I believe there is a caretaker there this weekend, so that might be enforced. I was hoping to tentless backpack this weekend so I am not sure if it would be wise to make this destination, unless I want to cowboy camp on a platform which given the current forcast doesn't seem out of the question.

There are new signs out on Franconia and at Greenleaf that say its still closed. I talked to the Croo today at Greenleaf and they said the recent rains delayed the completion. Should be any time now. I love that tentsite

I stayed there on Tuesday night,10/4. Looks like it's done except for the roof shingles. It has tar paper and is dry. It is a work of art. Very stylish.
There is a loft about 4 feet off the floor.

The AMC posted to Facebook today that the shelter is now officially reopened. They will be doing a writeup on their trails blog next week.

I talked to three groups coming down on Sunday morning. They said that the new shelter is great. One man wondered if it was in the same location as the former shelter. Guess it was pretty noisy there Saturday night with the wind and rain.