Cannon -- Flags on the 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentCal

Reaction score
Where to start?

Honestly this trip report does not start on 9/11 of this year. Nope it starts two weeks after last years event. My step-daughter, Kristen, died from a suicide three weeks prior. I was pretty much a mess. I wrote up a resignation for Flags and had decided to walk away from all of this. My decision was hasty and not well thought out. Two friends (you guys both know who you are) basically talked me out of it and reminded me of that line in Shawshank Redemption "Get busy living or get busy dying'. Living and getting back to Flags is what I decided to do.

Numerous roadblocks got thrown in the way. Hurricane Irene's road damage caused headaches. Endless spam kept popping up. Last minute cancellations got sorted out and covered. But, in a usual haphazard way, I find myself riding in Brian's SUV to the peak that I orginally started Flags on, Cannon.

The lot is bustling and the groups for the Kinsmans are gearing up and heading out. I have my original flag and the original pole from my first Flags. I have however, a huge flag getting a ride on the tram. So Brian, Bill, Jaytrek, Erica and I head up. We have a date with a tower.

We, at least I thought so, made really good time to the tower. We meet Erica's mom, Gram, and she has brought some of the tools we need to fly the large flag. She also has a poster of pictures of the past events. As we get the Original flag up, The mammoth 30x45 flag makes it way up being brought up by the head Fool Scout, Russ himself. After some creative thinking, the flag is tossed over the side and draped over the cab. High five's abound as we get the flag secured.

This Flags event is a little different as I run into many friends that have made the trip up to say hello and catch the views. Way too many to mention here. Thanks everyone for stopping by.

I believe it was Brian who pulled me aside and said, "hey there is a helicopter by the Kinsmans." Sure enough we waited and bit and the copter made a pass near our summit. They made a double pass around us and we could clearly see the crew taking pictures of us and giving us a thumbs up. Certainly the hightlight of the day.

We could spot Flags on North and South Kinsman, Liberty, Flume, Lincoln, and Garfield. Lafayette was shrouded in clouds for most of the day. I hope someone from that angle was able to see our flag. The time soon arrived at 2:00 and everyone packed up and headed out. Another year in the books.

So in the end, life can throw some rotten stuff your way. It's the getting back up that is tough and that's a real message that Flags carries.

Thanks everyone for taking part.
Flag 2012 is on SATURDAY September 8th.

What a beautiful, sensitive post. A story of true courage.
Cath expressed it beautifully. :)

So in the end, life can throw some rotten stuff your way. It's the getting back up that is tough and that's a real message that Flags carries.

Remember how many of us there are....when you feel like you're falling we will be there to help you raise back up and keep going!

SilentCal -- Thanks for being there to keep this event going even amid all the turmoil and adversity life has thrown your way. You are a true testament to someone who "gets busy living."

It was wonderful to see so many VFTTers _ and truly memorable when the helicopter did its fly by not just once, but TWICE! What a beautiful scene!

Hope to see y'all next year _ if not sooner...

So nice to see you Lisa after a long time. You were our good luck charm for helicopters this year.

I wrote up a resignation for Flags and had decided to walk away from all of this.

I am glad you've stayed with FOTF. There are many people out there counting on you to do just that. That takes courage and strength. Good for you.

Having only been involved for the past two years, I think this is an event that truly honors the fallen from 9-11 as well as the many living who have had to carry the burden of loss.

It's been an absolute honor to take part in this. Thank you.

Thanks so much for sharing your very touching story.

Thanks also for the fine work you are doing in organizing it all.

I wasn't able to participate this year and I can't tell you how much I missed it. I've read every report, often many times over. The photos of the flags and the helicopter have been very inspiring.

Thanks also to everyone who participated. :)

I guess if we are going to wax philosophical I will add my memories to this as well....

I came into the event in 2006. I had only started hiking in 2005, and due to a number of excuses I could not join Jim that year on Moosilauke after he invited me. It was a bit of an honor considering I had only known him through the forums and a brief visit on a Mt. Martha/Owl's Head hike. That was the same trip I met Bill (Pucknuts). In 2006 I found my way on to Bill's team led by his ever inventive friend Brownie. It would come to pass that Bill would not only become a great friend, but that I would spend every event but one (2008) in his company. In 2008 I joined Jim's team on Ike, and that was also the year I had the absolute humbling honor of joining the steering committee for the Flags on the 48 event. 2009 was the first chance I had to actually feel like I was doing something when Jim went on an ocean cruise that encompassed event weekend (and which he still gets hell for :lol: ), but sadly I would have to again take over Jim's job after his life altering moment. Since he was to lead our charge up Tom I went into emergency mode trying to cobble a rig together. Always dependable, Bill stepped up to help out. I provided the flag, he threw a pole together, and on 5 days notice we had a serviceable unit ready to fly.

So coming into 2011 it was going to be very special for many reasons. Once again I would be spending an important day doing something wonderful with old and new friends. I would be remembering 10 long years of the ghost of what 9/11/01 left behind it. I would be getting my little buddy back after a 2 year hiatus. My parents, who don't hike, would be able to see our handy work (part of the reason we chose to do Cannon, with the tram nearby to provide access). And we would be pulling off one hell of a trick by flying what will probably go down in history as the largest flag to ever fly for this event. The salute by the Army National Guard helicopter was a fitting tribute. Jim had heard a rumor it would be the Air Force/Air National Guard. But somehow I think a New Hampshire Guard unit paying tribute to hikers on New Hampshire mountains was much more fitting.

So here I am, 6 events later, reflecting on what this has meant for me. I don't know if I am going to shock everyone or not, but to me I love this event for all the happiness it brings. Yes, happiness. I know that the reason we do it was brought to us under the most horrifying and saddening of events. But to me, seeing everyone having fun and enjoying the day in a respectful way, it just reinforces to me that the terrorists who perpetrated the attacks of 9/11 may have taken down 4 planes, 2 buildings, the Pentagon and thousands of innocent lives. But they failed to break our spirit. You can kick a man when he is down, but it will take a lot more to break his spirit. I am happy, healthy, living and breathing. Where is Osama Bin Laden? Need I say more?

So to Bill: Thank you for allowing me to be there for the first event I attended. For being a great friend. For being you. Your awesome dude. 8)

And to you Jim...my little friend....my buddy....my brother....thank you for being one hell of a guy. There are a few people behind the scenes of Flags who do their thing, but you really are the rock that anchors it. I am glad I was able to dissuade you from taking the course you were planning on a year ago and that you picked yourself up, soldiered on, and didn't let tragedy keep you down. There were hundreds of people this weekend who are glad too, whether they knew it...and you...or not.

Brian

Cannon photo (and others) from the Blackhawk

The photos taken from the Black Hawk are available for viewing and downloading on Facebook (as mentioned in another thread.) The Facebook page is at "FOT48" September 11, 2011. This is an album maintained by a guy who's with the NH Army National Guard.

If you don't have FB access and want a particular photo, shoot me a PM and I'll see what's available.

Here's the Cannon pic:

Cannon.jpg

Last edited:
We could spot Flags on North and South Kinsman, Liberty, Flume, Lincoln, and Garfield. Lafayette was shrouded in clouds for most of the day. I hope someone from that angle was able to see our flag. The time soon arrived at 2:00 and everyone packed up and headed out. Another year in the books.

We hit Lincoln and Lafayette. The Cannon Flags were visible, with a little zoom, from Lafayette. Could barely make out both Kinsmans. One photo of Cannon flags from Lafayette and for those of you who missed Lafayette here is one for you. Congrats to everyone who participated.

Thanks, Cal!

Thank you for putting this all together and sticking with it! True dedication, and it is appreciated by more than you could ever know!

KDT

Thank you for sharing that, and I'm sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and everyone who knew Kristen.

Thanks as well for helping make FOTF such a success. A buddy and I happened upon Osceola last year and really appreciated it; it was a great day. I wanted to go this time (was watching the Isolation drama, and Irene!), but I have a rehab year and am momentarily grounded. I've really enjoyed reading about it and seeing the photos (cool chopper, added the military to the event). Thanks for ante-ing up again and fighting through! I hope to be in for next year if I can, maybe pick up a new peak or two. Great job!

--Mike.