need quick Telemark gear help/recs please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
- Boots: Any known as wider (wanted) or narrower (to avoid) ? Garmont, Scarpa, Black Diamond, Crispi ?

- Skis: I'm seeing K2 Piste Pipe (a 2007 model new on closeout) skis on sale in the right size. Any strong ski opinions ?

- Bindings: 3 pin ? Voile ? Rottefella ?

I'm seeing some stuff on sale and would like to gear up soon. I'm Brand Newbie to Tele; experienced alpine, AT, XC, though. thanks for help or gear specific links.

thanks.

I am working through that site and the other threads here, like this one. Just wanted some basic info on the boot widths, binding type preferred and if anyone had an opinion on those K2 Piste Pipes.

EDIT: Also "rocker" input; I know what it is, should I get those type of skis.

PS: I understand this is often asked, I am searching prior threads, but had those specific questions.

Last edited:
I hear scarpa t1s run on the narrow side. thats as much as I know, other than that tele gear isnt cheap. Ragged mnt on 16 in N Conway has a lot of tele gear

K2pp

Looks like they would be great for resort skiing. Are you buying ski's for that?

just getting started, trying to extend the winter season. I'm sure I'll start at the resorts, but I hate buying gear I'll outgrow in a season or 2. I may start with my Atomic Chugach skis (currently AT setup) with a decent binding and boot that I'd switch to a better tele ski in a year or 2.

At

AT setup will get you there. With either full skins or kicker skins you will be able to do rolling hills or steeper terrain. For cross country trails you'll use skinny skis.

Boots
Scarpa boots tend to be narrow. Don't recall about the others (call an REI and ask for a ski salesman--they generally know this kind of info.)

Ski
Checked out the reviews in some old issues of Couloir and Backcountry...
K2 Piste Pipe is designed as a half-pipe ski. Heavy. Good on groomed surfaces. Probably not so good in the BC. The twin tip can make mounting a skin difficult (a squared-off tail is better).

FWIW, I have bought skis with high all-mountain ratings--good on groomed surfaces and in the BC. (I have K2 World Piste and K2 Piste Stinx.)

Haven't tried a rocker ski myself. The rocker makes skiing in deep powder easier (built-in reverse camber) but in effect shortens the ski and reduces stability on harder surfaces.

Binding
You want a cable Tele binding to drive a ski like this.
-------------
Backcountry and Couloir (now merged with Backcountry) Mags have a yearly ski review issue. IMO, worth checking out.

Doug

Scarpa generally are for narrower, lower volume feet. Garmont work better for wider, high volume feet. But you really need to try them on for proper sizing. I'd never buy tele boots without trying them on for a while in the store unless you already know your size in that particular model.

Not sure why you'd want the K2 Piste Pipes for tele if you're not going to be in the park. There are much better options out there. Try Teleturnaround on telemarktips.com for some good gear.

More important than the skis (IMO) are the bindings. They don't ski the same, and can have a huge impact on your learning experience and enjoyment. Do you want releaseable bindings? If so, your choices are a bit more limited. I currently ski on Voile Hardwire CRBs inbounds and Switchbacks in the backcountry.

AT setup will get you there. With either full skins or kicker skins you will be able to do rolling hills or steeper terrain. For cross country trails you'll use skinny skis.

Yeah, been there. Want to try Tele.

DougPaul said:
Binding
You want a cable Tele binding to drive a ski like this.

Agree. I was asking about cabled 3 pin vs the other cabled no pin style or ntn.

David Metsky said:
Not sure why you'd want the K2 Piste Pipes for tele if you're not going to be in the park.

Just saw they were cheap, first look, already moved on. Concentrating on bindings now.

Last edited:
Boots
Haven't tried a rocker ski myself. The rocker makes skiing in deep powder easier (built-in reverse camber) but in effect shortens the ski and reduces stability on harder surfaces.

Doug

I cant speak for skis but from a snowboarding standpoint I have tried all three options on various snow surfaces and this is what I have found. Camber is your traditional ski or snowboard it holds and edge well at all speeds less float in powder. Reverse Camber Good in powder very flimsy on the hardpack conditions we see at resorts in the east, I liked this the least. Hybrid which is camber underfoot and reverse camber (aka rocker) on the tip and tail. This IMO is the best of both worlds. Spent a whole day at Jay peak on this setup and turning in powder and tree riding was much easier and it held a great edge on those famous windblown icy Jay Peak trails. For this reason both my resort setup and splitboard setup are hybrids with both rocker and camber

+1 for the Voile switchback, my current BC binding. But I have read they might not handle heavier skiers and really hard skiing as well as a couple other brands, etc. I'm light, so they've been great for me. Inbounds I'm on Rottefella R8 with good results.

I agree with Dave on the boots. I have a narrow low volume foot, Scarpa fits well, I know Garmont is higher volume, because they feel boxy on me.

For skis, my K2 Work Stinx do everything well inbounds - you might still be able to find a pair of these somewhere on sale. In the end, you will need an inbounds ski and a backcountry ski; I don't think one ski can really do it all well when you consider weight, etc. BC I'm on Madshus Annum (formerly Karhu XCD Guide) and I like 'em.

Agree. I was asking about cabled 3 pin vs the other cabled no pin style or ntn.
I have a pair of Voile 3-pin cable bindings on a pair of light-weight Tele skis (Tua Traverse). I normally use them with leather boots without the cables. I use plastic boots (T2 or T3) with a heavier non-pin Tele binding for the heavier Tele skis.

FWIW, I have used Superloops, G3 Targas, and Voile CRB hardwire bindings and am happy with all three. (All several years old. Don't have any NTN gear.)

just getting started, trying to extend the winter season. I'm sure I'll start at the resorts, but I hate buying gear I'll outgrow in a season or 2. I may start with my Atomic Chugach skis (currently AT setup) with a decent binding and boot that I'd switch to a better tele ski in a year or 2.

Chip, with your previous experience you don't need starter skis. Invest your money in the best fitting boots you can find and afford. You just need to decide is how much stiffness you think you want in a back country boot. But you know all about that since you've got AT. Using your Atomics sounds like a good idea if you can't find suitable closeouts.

Chip, with your previous experience you don't need starter skis. Invest your money in the best fitting boots you can find and afford. You just need to decide is how much stiffness you think you want in a back country boot. But you know all about that since you've got AT. Using your Atomics sounds like a good idea if you can't find suitable closeouts.
Converting used downhill skis with soft tails is a well-known method of obtaining inexpensive Tele skis... (These days many skis are sold for both AT and Tele use.)

You won't start as a complete beginner--one can perform parallel turns on Tele skis.

Doug

Last edited:
I went through this process a few years ago, VftT people were very helpful.

I'll tell you what I got, 'cause it ended up both working and being validated in the field (saw others happy with it): Karhu 10th Mountain skis, Voile cable bindings, Garmont Excursions. I wanted something that could handle some headwall, but would be light enough for the bc.

It's awesome all over, but too heavy for trail-running. I lightened up to something longer & skinnier, but still edged: Fischer Silent Spider. Terrific positioning between the skinny touring skis and the heavier teles.

For where to shop, I had a great experience at The Mountaineer in Keene Valley. I called ahead; they had what I needed when I got there (multiple sizes of the boot); they knew what they were talking about; I wore 'em in my snowshoes and skis around the parking lot to try 'em out. If you're gonna buy retail, consider a trip to New York.

I love the skis I've got now; they've been all over and we've had a lot of fun. Good luck, and let us know where you plan to use 'em (that's most of the story).

By the way, I think one good yard-stick is this: are they heavy enough for Tuckerman's, but light enough to do the bottom end of the Wildcat Valley trails without wearing you out? Next time I ride the Wildcat chairlift, it'll be in light skis, not the teles.

Bon chance!

I currently ski on Voile Hardwire CRBs inbounds and Switchbacks in the backcountry.

Okay. Right now I'm looking at Voile Switchbacks, Garmont Excursions and using my Atomic Chugach skis. I'll be starting pre-season and season at the resorts and heading into the woods ASAP. My goal is to keep the bindings and boots, upgrade the skis and eventually join David on a Tuck's outing :D. But that's a ways off :rolleyes:.

Anyone think the above gear will not point me ibn the right direction ?