DeLorme vs. Garmin maps-Adirondack trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
In choosing a GPS, is there a preferred mapping between each for Adirondack topo maps along the trail?

Both companies make great GPS units. It really depends on what you are looking to do with the GPS. If you're looking for more of a casual use, primarily for backcountry navigation, then either will work fine. The displays on the DeLormes are nicer and easier to read, but they seem to draw battery power more quickly than the Garmins.

If you are looking to collect information, upload it to your computer, and use it to make maps and such, then I'd definitely go with the Garmin. DeLorme uses its own proprietary software, which can be expensive. There are ways to convert the data to be used with other mapping programs, but they are hard to find (and will probably cost you $).

On the other hand, there are several free applications available on the internet (DNR Garmin is one) that will let you take the information off of a Garmin GPS, and save it to a variety of file formats, allowing you to use your data with a wide variety of mapping software.

I think there's a general consensus that the best paper maps are those made by National Geographic. However, your ability to upload those maps to whatever GPS brand you choose is limited, if not impossible - Doug Paul can comment on this better.

I'm very familiar with Garmin, and not with Delorme. With Garmin, you can download the GPS tracks and waypoints to your PC using MapSource, and save them in an "eXchange" format (.gpx) which will then allow you to import that file into a map program such as those made by National Geographic. Having said that - Garmin's maps get better and better, but still not quite up to the quality of National Geographic, IMO.

Another factor to consider - I have a Garmin vehicle GPS, and find it rather straightforward to use MapSource to move GPS coordinates of trailheads from my 60CSx to vehicle into what Garmin calls a "custom POI file (Point of Interest). You might be able to do that with Delorme as well, but I don't know that from personal experience. This ability to create trailhead waypoints has less value in the East, where they are more easily found, than in the West, where sometimes it's more difficult to find the starting point than the hike itself.

Based upon the reviews I read here on VFTT I concluded that if I were to buy a GPS it would likely be a Garmin cSX or the like. However, I'm impressed with DeLorme PN60w because it has SPOT communications (by separate subscription) and also allows short texts/emails.

I am eager to see the responses though I'm more interested in using it in remote places where trails, or even mapping, may be sparse. Otherwise, I'm quite comfortable with good ol' map and compass.