50 years ago tonite -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a piece on NH Chronicle last night about the Hills and their frightful experience. Fifty years - hard to imagine. In some ways it seems ancient history, in other ways that it happened just a few decades ago.

good episode on Chronicle. After reading a LOT of articles on the incident, I still cannot figure out EXACTLY where it happened. One of the articles mentions a housing development. I've also heard the incident was near Exit 31 - near the top of Tripoli Rd. I can understand not wanting to publicize the location... but, still..... where are all the T-shirts/mugs/shot glasses available?????

After talking with a couple old timers up here in the Pemi valley, who were around here then, according to them is that it was somewhere around "Thornton Gore" where they were actually picked up. Which isn't exactly on Rt. 3, but on the 175 side of the river.

Technically it is in the town of Woodstock since neither Rt. 3 or 175 go through Thornton Gore proper (which is basically the valleys of Eastman and a bit of Johnson Brooks,) where the former hillside farming community existed. But who knows, many accounts place it up near Indian Head.

So my best guess, maybe within a mile of the marked point in the map here.

Last edited:
Friedman's book (written with Betty's neice, I think) gave some detail as it decsribed themselves trying to find the place. Couldn't nail it exactly with a map, but have the feeling that you probably could if you were actually there.
Tdawg's map above looks like it's pretty close from what I remember reading.

from the Nashua Chronicle article:

"Among the events will be a bus tour of the route the Hills took while driving home from a vacation in Quebec, back when White Mountain roads were a lot smaller, darker and more isolated than they are now.They won’t be able to visit the actual site where the Hills say the aliens took them aboard, because it’s a housing development"

On the map the A is placed where there is a air strip .
That property belongs to the Bradley's, and there are a few
private planes that come out of there. That section of Rt 175
was where a former covered bridge spanned the Pemi.

I was of the understanding that the site was just off Exit 33
between the North off ramp and the motel, which burned a few years ago.

I've got to get the book from the library again.

...and the craft hovered and they heard some weird noises and also vibrations.

It was an "SAR chopper" in search of an "inexperienced hiker! ;)

All kidding aside...interesting article.

It is threads like this that make me want to wear foil hats.

I've been wearing a foil jock ever since my undergrad nuc lab.