Attaching snowshoes to daypacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
It's almost time to contemplate ascents where one might keep swapping snowshoes, stabilizers, crampons, or bare boots. I have read that attaching snowshoes on the back of a pack (such as in a shovel pocket) is not as wise as along the sides due to weight distribution outward. In all cases with severe temps, dealing with compression straps, bungees, etc. is not that easy with gloves on.

What winter daypacks do you recommend (around 2000ci) that easily haul your snowshoes and are easy to store or attach them? I am currently using a Marmot Eiger that has side compression straps but they just barely fit one snowshoe per side and it is a real struggle with my MSRs. I do not like bungeeing them to the back as it does seem to pull you.

I strap them to the back of my 40L Osprey Stratos like so:

IMG_6304.JPG

I generally find I am wearing them so I don't worry too much about carrying them, nor do I feel like they are really unbalancing me when I do.

Tim

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20156&highlight=snowshoe+osprey+attach

If you can use something like the above (most packs can cause you can attach the webbing to side compession straps or to loops and run the webbing on the back of the pack and carry snowshoes easily like that. I do that with my Osprey Talon 22 in winter and it works great.. In essense, making my (lighter Talon) similar in functionality to a more purposebuilt Osprey stratos...

Jay

Osprey Talon 22 and Gregory Jade 28 both for my MSR Denali Evo 22's in the front shovel pocket. I stabilize the top of the load by stretching the elastic pole holders across the snowshoe bundle and connect the ends with a carabiner.

Works for me!

I have read that attaching snowshoes on the back of a pack (such as in a shovel pocket) is not as wise as along the sides due to weight distribution outward.

Don't believe everything you read. That sounds like something someone who spends more time thinking about hiking than actually hiking would say :D

I typically lash them to the back with a really old webbing belt that doesn't fit anymore :eek:

On the few occasions when I've attached them to the sides, I've found they get in the way of swinging arms. That being said, try it both ways and see what you like better. There are no rules!

The person who attached them to the sides has probably not walked down a narrow trail between fir trees either!

Good point. The Z-rest strapped to the side there gets pretty beat up from rubbing against the firs. It is always full of snow and needles as a result. I probably should put it in the shovel pocket if I know I will be wearing snowshoes for the entire day. It's one of those things that I never use in the course of regular circumstances. Well, maybe once or twice I've taken an extended sit-down break on it. If I could fit it inside, I probably would.

Tim

I strap them to the back like bikehikeskifish with a pack that has those wings for snowshoes or snowboards, or to the back with extra straps like Jay H described. How you face the shoes now is important (if we're drilling down to the minutiae). Ergonomically, or whatever the right word is, the shoes may fit better stacked one on the other, but then one shoes cleats are pressed against the others binding and then that shoes crampon is against the pack or facing out against the straps, which I don't like. I prefer to pack shoes crampon to crampon, tips up (since I have tear-drop shaped shoes). The issue then is the opposing tips create a pocket where snow and twigs can accumulate, but I don't care much about that.

But you should be wearing your shoes in the Dacks anyway ;).

adkayaker said:
What winter daypacks do you recommend (around 2000ci) that easily haul your snowshoes and are easy to store or attach them?

HA ! We're not answering the question. If you're buying a winter specific pack, try to get one, like the ospreys, that have the wings for snowshoes or snowboards. Otherwise you can attach shoes with extra straps, as long as they have side straps you can loop through.

Last edited:
Good point. The Z-rest strapped to the side there gets pretty beat up from rubbing against the firs. It is always full of snow and needles as a result. I probably should put it in the shovel pocket if I know I will be wearing snowshoes for the entire day. It's one of those things that I never use in the course of regular circumstances. Well, maybe once or twice I've taken an extended sit-down break on it. If I could fit it inside, I probably would.

Tim

A little OT but I've found that a Z-rest fits nicely in the nylon bag from an old Thermarest. Adds only a few ounces but it stays much cleaner/drier and doesn't get beat up.

I have an ospery kode38 liter pack for winter. It is designed with backcountry riding in mind so its frame is not very beefy it has a dry and wet storage compartments and they make it in a 22L and 30L as well. it carrys snowshoes very well along with skis and snowboards
166841_1559603955788_1405955038_31211127_7930814_n.jpg

168435_1559605035815_1405955038_31211134_6830189_n.jpg

I love Osprey packs, but in the Winter I prefer to use a ski pack. They are designed to carry multiple skis, pole, and snowshoes on the outside. Loads of strips and anchor points. The packs are very rugged and will not rip from the aggressive cramp-on on my Tubbs. The pack is waterproof and can be dropped into a stream, and can handle a blizzard. Probably not a good solution for many people, but it works for me.

I love Osprey packs, but in the Winter I prefer to use a ski pack. They are designed to carry multiple skis, pole, and snowshoes on the outside. Loads of strips and anchor points. The packs are very rugged and will not rip from the aggressive cramp-on on my Tubbs. The pack is waterproof and can be dropped into a stream, and can handle a blizzard. Probably not a good solution for many people, but it works for me.

That ospery is a Ski pack it does all that you speak of I just wish it was bigger for overnight spitboard touring its hard to fit a lot of stuff in it

After many years of trying just about everything 2 years ago I came up with an easy system I love. I fixed a piece of cord to my axe loops in the form of a circle that stays there all the time. I slide my shoes into the cord, then use a simple 12 inch piece of webbing with one of those buckles that makes it a loop that I fix to the loop on the pack for hanging it. I then thread this webbing through the top of both shoes and fix it to the loop for hanging your pack. Takes about 15 seconds to remove or refix to the pack. And yes it keeps them on the back of the pack not the sides which is the way to go for sure.

That ospery is a Ski pack it does all that you speak of I just wish it was bigger for overnight spitboard touring its hard to fit a lot of stuff in it

Like I said previous, I like Osprey a lot. The pack you speak of is a good ski pack, but not for hard-core skiers. It can hold one pair of skis OR one snowboard, a pair of poles, and an ice ax. If you have a snowboard on back, it is very difficult to get to the ice ax. If you are doing a steep downhill run, you don't want that ice ax where Osprey put it.

For hard-core and rugged skiing the pack needs to be able to hold two or more pairs of skis, poles, snowshoes all at the same time. Also need to hold ice ax, ropes, etc off the back of the pack. For that you need many straps and options. The Osprey doesn't have those kinds of options. Additionally, the material on the Osprey is not rugged enough for hard-core skiing. It is too easy to rip. I prefer material that is virtually indestructible and waterproof.

As for hiking and/or backcountry skiing I like the ski packs with many straps and options, so that I can strap anything anywhere I want it. Just my personal preference. I am sure the Osprey ski pack works for many people. Just not for me.

I generally attach mine to the back/sides (i.e., next to each other centered on the back of the pack) with a couple of straps. Works fine. My wife likes to put hers on top of the pack under the top flap/pocked (sideways). Hers are easier to get on and off but stick out to the sides a bit too much and sometimes get hung up in narrow sections. Different strokes...

Like I said previous, I like Osprey a lot. The pack you speak of is a good ski pack, but not for hard-core skiers. It can hold one pair of skis OR one snowboard, a pair of poles, and an ice ax. If you have a snowboard on back, it is very difficult to get to the ice ax. If you are doing a steep downhill run, you don't want that ice ax where Osprey put it.

For hard-core and rugged skiing the pack needs to be able to hold two or more pairs of skis, poles, snowshoes all at the same time. Also need to hold ice ax, ropes, etc off the back of the pack. For that you need many straps and options. The Osprey doesn't have those kinds of options. Additionally, the material on the Osprey is not rugged enough for hard-core skiing. It is too easy to rip. I prefer material that is virtually indestructible and waterproof.

As for hiking and/or backcountry skiing I like the ski packs with many straps and options, so that I can strap anything anywhere I want it. Just my personal preference. I am sure the Osprey ski pack works for many people. Just not for me.

What do you use for ski mountaineering? you have me curious I love this pack I just cant fit an axe,prob, beacon, shovel, bivy, sleep bag and other gear in the one i have now

On this pack, I tie a nylon cord between the lowest loops of the daisy chains and a shock cord between the top loops. Then, place both shoes toe down and crampons away from the pack into the lower loop (adjusted to the right length so the crampons catch on the loop). Stretch the shock cord over the tails and release. It takes just a few seconds and removing mittens is not necessary.