a nice early autumn hike to Square Ledge, Sandwich Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
An early morning detour from the Oliverian Brook Trail to an old burn field to check for moose...

There was a young mating pair grazing around the feild. I let them know of my presence, and after a little while they came closer to check me out...

IMG_0361aaa.jpg

IMG_0382aaa.jpg

This is a nice sign of early autumn...

IMG_0374aaa.jpg

IMG_0371aaa.jpg

shedding his velvet...

IMG_0392aaa.jpg

I left the love birds alone and headed back to the trail. That was a nice way to start a hike.

Oliverian Brook Trail...

IMG_0406aaa.jpg

IMG_0400aaa.jpg

early autumn signs everywhere...

IMG_0413aaa.jpg

Along the Square Ledge Branch Trail I was quietly going along, enjoying it all when I heard the barking grunts of a bull moose, not far into the woods. There were very fresh tracks heading up the trail. I started doing some cow moose calls and listening. Then I heard a cow moose just ahead of me doing a similar call. The bull did a few more grunts and came crashing toward me to within maybe 50'. I did a few more calls trying to get him to the trail. I went up the trail a few more steps, camera ready, when I saw the cow through some branches. As soon as she saw me she crashed into the woods and the bull took off in another direction. That was awesome!!!!

hardwood slopes starting to turn...

IMG_0415aaa.jpg

view from Square Ledge, featuring The Captain, I believe...

IMG_0428aaa.jpg

a backlit autumn hobblebush leaf...

IMG_0433aaa.jpg

happy autumn :)

Last edited:
Regarding your next to last photo . . . yup that would be The Captain there in the background along with Green's Cliff in the foreground . . . quite a scenic pair!

And speaking of pairs, your "moose deuce" photos are terrific!:)

Another great trip. It must be cool to see the bull shedding velvet.

Your pictures of autumn look great too. Especially the hobblebush leaf! I'm a big fan of hobblebush pictures!

I think if I had that moose encounter on the trail, with them crashing away, my heart probably would have jumped out of my chest. I'm sure it wasn't the case for you since you see moose so often. I just wonder...who made the more realistic moose call...you or the cow? ;)

As always, great stuff!
Karl

Great! I admire your ability to locate and get close to the critters. Very nice pics!

If I heard a bull moose grunting and crashing up ahead, I doubt I would be issuing a cow moose call! You are gutsy or else a lot bigger than me!