A Great North Woods Trifecta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflea

Reaction score
Sept. 18-20... A rather serendipitous 3 days of late summer fun in the North Country.

Day 1: Kilkenny Ridge traverse
Day 2: Mahoosuc traverse
Day 3: Grafton Loop

93 miles of sublime views, mud, wet rocks, slimy roots, blowdowns, bog bridges, moose droppings, quiet solitude, birch forests, spongy pine needles, hooting owls, happy thru-hikers, and mountains I hadn't climbed in years.

It was a blast. :)

Report here: http://runsuerun.blogspot.com/2011/09/great-north-woods-trifecta.html

Wow - Very nice! So many miles in only 3 days! Looks like some nice trails up there. I like the "register samplings" too.

Thanks for a great blog post!

Karl

Now that is some hiking! Isn't SRW one of the best peaks around? Very cool mountain.

Thanks for the great report!
When did you traverse the Killkenny Ridge in the 90's?
It's a stretch but you may be able to help me anwser a question I have had since I climbed Waumbek in 1995.

Agree - Sunday River Whitecap was really, really nice! And the day I did it, there was a thick undercast - I was "above the clouds" and the only one on the mountain... and trail for that matter!

I liked climbing Old Speck from the Grafton Loop Trail because it was way more gradual and "spongy" as compared to the AT from Grafton Notch. The glacial erratic about a mile below East Baldpate was cool, too. That's one big rock. :eek:

Forgot to mention that there is a new, 1.8 mile loop - the Woodsum Spur Trail - off/around the summit of Puzzle Mountain that looked interesting. It just opened this year.

Lots of good info at the MATC site: http://www.matc.org/GraftonLoopTrail.htm

Yogi, my last full Kilkenny traverse was probably in 1997 (?), but I have been up there many times doing Waumbek and Cabot (for the GRID and just because) as well as the NE & NH 100 Highest peaks. Have we crossed paths?

Hey, almost was there!

LG4 and I hiked into Unknown Pond Sunday evening so we got sorta close to seeing you. That would have been funny! All we did was the Horn Monday but he is only 3 and on his 2nd backcountry camping trip. We had a blast. Cool TR and nice to see what you are up to.

Lloyd

trifecta?

u betcha! I've hiked just about all those trails piecemeal, hard to wrap my brain around doing all 93 miles in 3 days!! so... what did u do on the 4th day?

LG3, So bummed to have missed you and LG4 after being SO close. :( How did the little feller enjoy his night at Unknown Pond? Must have been a really cool experience with him. If he walked all the way to the pond on his own, then we are impressed!

so... what did u do on the 4th day?

The obvious: slept in and had a large breakfast. :)

We didn't start up till after 5 so I hauled him although he was game. He did walk from the campsite to the horn except the last bit. We camped there a couple of nights cause he is way into fire. I'll send you a pic.

Really enjoyed this. I like your blog to. Can't wait to read more of it. :cool: