One Savage Peak 9-21-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
Hufflepuff and I had heard some nasty reports about Savage Mt. and TR's from last May confirmed our fears. A chance meeting with Ethan on West Peak recently gave us some hope and encouragement. We took the main logging road leading away from the end of Lamms Trail for a while and jogged north to get closer to the stream which we knew we had to cross. We were not really sure where to leave the logging roads to head for the ridge, but we knew that is what we wanted to do. We left the logging roads at about 2500 feet and headed north up a very steep slope to reach the ridge. The spruce was about as thick as I have ever seen, but we could tell that if we pushed through we would reach the ridge.

Since it had rained quite a bit recently the woods were wet. I have no idea why thick spruce is so d....ned dirty but dead spruce is really pretty disgusting. While it took a while to get through the spruce the elevation was only a little more than 100 feet. Once on the ridge the going was easier. While there were still some places where we had to put our heads down and just plow through, and over and under, there were also some absolutely lovely parts along the ridge with tall pines and open woods. The ascent along the ridge was fairly gentle and steady. We took our time.

The summit of Savage is rather broad and flat. We had to work our way to the far NE corner to find the sign. I think we spent 45 minutes at the top laughing about the foolish and addictive passion of bushwacking! Thanks, Ethan, for the beta on heading up the ridge to Savage!

Other than some torn hiking pants, scratches on every part of exposed skin, hands that are still pockmarked with spruce punctures, we survived Savage unscathed.

Lost and Found: a gallon size plastic bag with several, very wet, Delorme maps with extraordinary detail, and a Teapot/Goback TR dated March, 2008 from NEBW.

#92 for Hufflepuff and Jabberwalk

"... hands that are still pockmarked with spruce punctures,..."

I don't know how much bushwhacking you've been exposed to over the years, but it sounds like you had a "Savage experience" that you won't soon forget, Jabberwalk. I also think you'll be protecting all exposed skin going forward. Good report!

My friend Mike (Salty) was telling me today about reading this TR. Brought back some (not so fond) memories of when we did Savage. We stood on the summit when we heard this rumble. We hoped it was an 18 wheeler or plane to our South. Nope. Big thunderstorm moved in right on top of us, and we stumbled through a massive blow down field in a drenching rain, the water moving th salty sweat of the day onto our glasse making us effectively blind. We both lost some gear that day also...water bottles, trekking poles and a poncho (though the poncho was later recovered in a return trip :D ) Teapot, on the other hand, was a joyous trip. Keith D'Alessandro's then girlfriend (now wife) finished her NH200 and 3K's on Teapot. It was nice to be in a group with a few of th "who's-who" of the whacking community that day. Gorgeous woods, nice weather....a stark contrast to the Savage trip. :cool:

Brian

Brian,

I am glad we didn't have to contend with weather, too, although it had rained the day before and so we were absolutely drenched after an hour. Your TR from 2010 - Savage Spruce on Teapot and no time to Goback! really made us concerned about Savage.

Just glad that one is over and done!

Betsy

I feel a bit distressed. I thought you said Scaur Ridge was the worst.

Sounds like you are having trouble staying between the lines and on a trail.

Now that I have heckled you a bit, sounds like an exciting adventure.