Dix from south, gate and parking lot at Elk Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leduc

Reaction score
Hello,
does anyone knows if it is currently possible to drive up to the (summer) parking lot near Elk Lake.
In Winter, there is a gate at Clear pond, and hikers have to walk a couple extra miles.

Is the gate closed now ?
At which approximate date do they close it ?

I have already been up Dix from Round Pond. I am going there this week end with friends who have never been to Dix. Is the approach from the south as enjoyable as the one from north ? Is it worth driving the extra miles (coming from north) to try the south approach ?

Thx,

Charles

elk lake area is closed during hunting season. After hunting season one can park at clear pond and hike the area.

Been there today

We drove there this morning, to be told that the TRAILS, not only the gate, were closed. Trails are closed during the big game hunting, from Oct 22 to Dec 5.
After Dec 5, the gate remains closed, but the trails re-open.

It was not clear if it was because the land owners are hunters who do not like hikers, or hikers who do not like hunters, but the end result is the same.

We went to the trailhead near Round Pond, and hiked Dix from there. I am about to submit a trail conditions report.

Charles

The land owners are hunters who like hikers, and allow us to hike on their beautiful trails. They just do not want to accidentally shoot hikers.

What the guy at the gate told us

The guy at the gate told us that the land owners do not hunt, they just want to preserve their deer population, and prevent hunters that fake to be hikers to get there.

So they may be hunters who like hikers and hunters, but who like the deers too.

Anyway...

When I say that "the end result is the same", I meant "hikers please stay out of there", and not "ah these xyz land owners!". I have a great respect their rights over this land. Sincerely, I think that we all must recognize them as "enablers" of our access to these enjoyable areas.

Anyone have a wonderful day.

PS: the avatar is not actually me, i took it anywhere on the web. many people like it, but once the joke is made, at some point i think i will update it with a real picture of me !!!