Jefferson Notch Road conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maynewoods

Reaction score
The state website says the road is closed. I understand that the gates are locked. But what about by bicycle?

I am organizing 115 mile loop bike ride from Conway over Evans Notch, Jefferson Notch and bear Notch. We've done this ride before, so I'm not too worried about bicycling up a steep gravel road but if we're looking at open trenches as road crews replace culverts then, it might be more than will be ready for.

Has anyone seen the condition of the road?
Have they started work?

Thanks in advance
Maynewoods:confused:

A friend was on it a couple weeks ago and said it was in rough shape. They had not started working on it yet at that time (I believe he said) and honestly I think it is a low priority as they are still trying to sort out all the other roads. I gather from what he described to me that if you are planning on doing this on a mountain bike you might be OK. I don't think your going to be in luck if you are on a road bike though.

Brian

Personally, if I were organizing for a group, I would not take the chance. If crews do happen to be in there on ride day, the group will likely get turned back. Why take the chance…

I'm impressed that you do 115 miles on the type of heavy bicycles necessary to ride Jefferson Notch Road!

More importantly, if someone get injured, the lack of access is going to seriously complicate response.

I havent been up there post storm, but I would expect the section north of the notch will have a series of long ditches running down the road caused by runoff going down the road and some ditches perpedicular to the road where culverts have failed.

I expect the state current approach is wait until spring. Of greater concern is that with the DOT's ever tighter budgets, that at some point they may elect to close the road as its only significant use is to access one trailhead.

We will be on lightweight road bikes. We've done the same route before, Jefferson Notch is challenging on a road bike but doable. That is, without the irene factor.

Thanks for your advice.

I havent been up there post storm, but I would expect the section north of the notch will have a series of long ditches running down the road caused by runoff going down the road and some ditches perpedicular to the road where culverts have failed.

I will repost here since the question was re-asked here. Some people from my bike club rode it (on cross bikes) and blogged about it here: http://couchingtiger.blogspot.com/2011/09/jefferson-notch.html - It sounds like the north side is fine, and the south side is a mess (if I am reading this right... I've never ridden it myself and never been further than the Caps Ridge trail head.)

The climb up was actually better than I'd ever seen as the gravel road surface was smooth and packed solid. Typically when we do this ride it is early in the season, just before the road opens and often just after it has been graded meaning it is loose gravel. The climb itself is fairly short, less than 6 miles from the base at Valley Road to the summit, but has some really steep sustained grunts that can hurt like crazy. This time wasn't too bad and we made it over in fine shape. There was evidence of the storm on the way up but it wasn't terribly pronounced. The descent however was a different story. We soon discovered why the road was closed as there were major sections of the roadway scooped out or just plain missing. Multiple culverts had been literally extricated and deposited in the woods downstream. I'm guessing that it may be some time before the road can reopen.

Tim

for what it's worth i hiked part of jefferson notch road today, from the notch to the boundary line trail, and damage was mostly limited to washouts along the edge of the road (some of which were marked with info. for repair). word is that the big problem is down closer to the cog base road and the d.o.t is actively working on it. i have no idea what it is like heading towards jefferson (the town of). i would suggest making a call to the nhdot and simply ask about your planned bike route.

bryan