Sad Passing of Tuckerman RIP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
20101205-20101205-DSC_2859.jpg

Godspeed Tuck!

Just wanted to pass this along. Our friend Steve (The Feathered Hat) and his family lost one of their dogs, Tuckerman, to an accident this morning. So sad to see him go, he was a great trail dog and will be missed!

KDT

great dog and a great companion to a good friend. Tuck will be missed by all he came in contact with. Liz and I are so sorry Steve.

Good looking Boy. What was he ?

We lost our mutt, Max (registered Maximum Bear Morrison), 2 1/2 years ago and I still expect him to greet me when I get home.

Steve...I extend to you my heartfelt sympathy at this difficult time.

Here is a poem for you. It was "written" by a dog name Quackers to his owner Elaine Seamens.

"As I walk across your heart
and find my place to stay,
nearer to you I will be
and never will go away."

And this one...
"Crushed up stars upon your soul
have divided
amidst fairies and mongrels
until the night
bequeath them home
For love has come to you
undivided."

Remembering Tuckerman.
Peace

Never had the pleasure of meeting Tuck, but I know how much my dogs have meant to me and my heart goes out to his friends and family.

Thank you so much, everyone, for these beautiful posts. These times are very difficult for my wife Cindy and me, but your thoughts greatly help us in the struggle to live past the ache in our hearts. You are very thoughtful, Kevin, to start this topic. Thank you.

Tuckerman was a Plott Hound mix, and a rescue. We got him as a four-month-old puppy in January 2009 after he and his brother were found abandoned in a Virginia forest. He climbed his first NH 4K, North Kinsman, in March of that year, and at the time of his death he had climbed 36 of the 48 peaks. But peaks were never really his thing, frankly. Tuck's idea of the perfect hike involved a trail with as much mud and as many sticks and as much moose poop as possible that led to a nice big pond so he could jump in. We took quite a few of those hikes, too, over the past couple of years.

He died in my arms a half-hour after being struck by a truck in the early-morning darkness. The driver, a local, was as distraught as I was. I'm sorry he has to drive by that same spot every day on his way to work.

We still have beautiful Polly, whom many of you know, our Great Pyr mix (also a rescue). Polly and I will now complete Tuckerman's set of 48 4Ks, either this year or next, to honor him as well as her (she has 33 of the 48 peaks at this writing). In her way, she's as devastated as us at Tuck's sudden, tragic death -- she's a protection dog, and she continues to look for her canine companion; it's heartbreaking. But she will, with a little trail therapy, slowly return to something like normal, as will we. Right now it feels like that's going to take years, and perhaps it will.

Tuckerman was named for Tuckerman's Ravine, as you might've already guessed. (When we named him we thought we were so clever. Turns out Tuckerman and its variants are just about the most popular dog names in New Hampshire.) Now there will be Tuckerman's Farm, which we're naming some acreage that Cindy and I own in Dorchester, NH, and where we'll move from Franconia next summer. Tuck loved roaming that land and forest and jumping in the south branch of the Baker River, which borders the property. We want all our dogs (there will be more, in time) to have a connection, however slight, to our first dog.

Tuckerman lived for hiking in the White Mountains. Snow, ice, frost, rock, biting winds -- he was undaunted by any of them. Somewhat legendarily, on one hike he climbed straight up The Chimney on Mt. Osceola as if it were just another easy scramble, and the only time I ever saw him waver was once on the Dry River Trail when the river was fast, noisy, and waist-deep at an upper crossing. Still, he made it. He was the best dog I ever hiked with, and I still cannot believe that I won't be hiking with him ever again.

Next spring, after the snow melts, we will take some of Tuckerman's ashes and spread them at the summit of North Kinsman. I'll be sure an announcement gets made. Tuck absolutely loved group hikes, and he would want everyone to have a good time together, as many dogs as possible included, as we say farewell to a wonderful, joyous dog.

Cindy and I both take a bit of comfort in the fact that neither of us has a single regret where Tuckerman is concerned, even though he left us so young. We were privileged to rescue him and give him a wonderful dog's life, full of the outdoors and animal and human company. He was funny, mischievous and got into lots of trouble -- he enjoyed life spectacularly. He was boundlessly happy and playful. If he could have, he would have laughed out loud all the time and told a lot of very funny jokes. Polly is a different sort: for her, life is duty, life is a responsibility to protect her family -- in other words, she's a Lutheran dog. Tuck, on the other hand, was a Buddhist, dedicated fully to the present moment. He lived as an example of how we all ought to accept and fulfill our lives -- with joy and happiness, with zest and play, with unconditional love and tenderness for his animal and human companions. Trying to meet Tuckerman's very high bar for life will be the project of Cindy's and my lives for the rest of our days. We dearly, painfully wish he could have spent many more years with us, but the nearly three years we had with him will do. We are better beings for having had Tuckerman in our lives and in our household. Now comes our responsibility to measure up from here on out.

There's a belief that all emotions are mirrors. If that's true, the very deep pain Cindy and I feel now (we're still pretty weepy) reflects the very deep love we had, and still have, for Tuck. But really, it was all his doing. He loved us so unconditionally, so faithfully and loyally, so unabashedly, that we would be guilty of neglect not to give all that love right back to him. Neither of us knew we had it in ourselves, but Tuckerman -- as always, just like on the trail -- was out front, showing us the way.

Thank you for being such wonderful friends -- you and your dogs -- to our Tuckerman during his great, brief life.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Sometimes we find the most eloquent words in the depths of despair. Thank you for these, Steve. I know they come from the heart. We will keep you, Cindy, Polly and Tuck in our thoughts...

KDT

I never met your dog, but from your post he was awsome I can see for sure. I love it when people say they have a rescued dog, like I do. I honestly believe they know you rescued them, my dog has never left my side since the day I got her, she is my first dog and I love her more then anything in the world. You gave your dog a spectaculiar life of love and adventure, cherish the memorys and keep your head held high, my condolances to your family.

That's beautiful, Steve...the dogs of the world are lucky there are those like you and Cindy who so completely love them.

As I wrote to you earlier, I believe the greatest strength our dogs have is their patient acceptance and limitless capacity to love us- and thier greatest gift to give us is to show us how to do just that -- love and accept without judgement...Tuck was a master of this gift, and he had the great honor of giving it to a family who undersands, appreciates, and now honors this gift.

The depth of the connection you share goes beyond words, but you have done it great justice with yours.

Peace and love to you, Cindy, and sweet, steadfast Polly.