Following Atticus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Dub

Reaction score
Guess what I saw today on the "New Arrivals" display at my local BN...?

109264593.JPG

Looks like the first item to put on my Christmas 2011 wish list. :D

Already read it, and can say I was quire pleased. But then again I am biased. I know Tom and Atti (well, I would not presume to say in a very friendly way, but we have in the past exchanged a number of cordial messages as well we occasionally run into the two on the trails) and think very highly of them. But if you have read his trip reports on here over the years and liked them then you will enjoy his book. :cool:

Brian

Guess what I saw today on the "New Arrivals" display at my local BN...?

109264593.JPG

Looks like the first item to put on my Christmas 2011 wish list. :D

It's nice to see that the book is getting into places beyond where we would expect to see it. Think I'll go to my local BN and hang around the shelves, speaking praise if it looks welcome. I purchased my first copy at Mountain Wanderer, and when I choose who else I want to gift them to, I'll go the same route.

It's nice to see that the book is getting into places beyond where we would expect to see it.

According to a relative of mine, the book has been on pretty much every "new arrivals" list in public libraries across the country -- it's definitely out there in places beyond this area.

I just got a copy on CD from the library. I lucked out, I got the very first one. I also have the book which arrived today. I am really loving it. Very well written.

The first night I read three chapters, and then stopped. I realized I wanted to savor Tom's words, take them in slowly like a good hike, enjoying each moment. I must say it's a great journey. Hat's off to the distinguised Mr. Finch to inspire those fortunate enough to have followed him through the woods.

What a Wonderful Book

I just finished reading Following Atticus last night...

My hat is off to both man and dog. What a delightful, sweet, and inspiring book. It is a hiking story, a dog story, a story of friendship, and one of love.

Thank you Tom, for sharing so much of yourself with us.

Our local (Northfield, NH) library just got a copy. I happened to see it on the "New Books" shelf today and checked it out. My daughter is interested in reading it, too, so she's claimed it first.

Listened to it x2 while driving and really loved it.
Atti reminds me sooo much of my first dog Ben, who they told me was a beagle/schnauzer mix, about 30 lbs. He was the toughest dog I have ever hiked with in the mountains and had energy that defied description.
In fact he is the one who "found me " twice when I got lost on the trails and he led me out safely.

This book was a wonderful story of the bond that can form between dog and man. I had read Tom's trip reports but it was great listening to the story in sequence in it's entirety. What a fantastic adventure. and great read.
Thanks for writing and sharing it Tom. You did good and of course so did your little mate, Atti the GREAT!:)

Last edited:
While I picked up my first print copy at the Mountain Wanderer, I purchased the audio version of iTunes. I love listening to it and using the book to look again at various passages. If you have a chance, look at my review on iTunes. The page said they don't have enough praise for the book to rate it yet. That's just wrong.

I finished reading the book earlier this week and loved it. Michael and I have the audio version and will finish it tonight. Tom did a wonderful job reading the book and hearing his voice adds to much. We've also been talking it up here in Baltimore with friends and relatives. Our local Barnes and Nobel recently sold out and had to reorder additional copies.

Donna:)

Last edited:
I could borrow this book but think I am going to get it for my Kindle. It will be nice to have handy for nights in the tent. Carried the Kindle up to Owls Head a few weeks ago and read aloud a ghost story. Still don't understand why I have 35 plus books and the Kindle doesn't get any heavier. Anyway this seems the perfect book to carry along. By the way Erugs review on itunes is everything a review should be...but then I am prejudiced.

review

Just finished the book in two days. I laughed, I cried and enjoyed every page of Tom and Atticus'adventures.

I got this book as an Xmas present, from some dear friends who live down south. It's nice that some people still give such good old-fashioned paper, ink and pasteboard artifacts as books. Some nice pix too - cute little dog.

White Birch in North Conway keeps selling out, and Tom and Atti autograph and pawtograph new batches every few weeks or so. The store is doing whopping business of late on orders to the store and out to international buyers who want the insribed copies specifically. Nice for both Tom (and Atti :D) and a local independent bookstore as well. A win - win, not to mention lots of happy readers this holiday season.