Take a Walk on the Sharp Side

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
A glorious day on Katahdin's Knife Edge.

Lower_Knife_Edge.jpg

Lower Knife Edge

Sunny and warm, with wispy clouds breaking over the ridge, and bright colors lighting up the valleys.

View_from_KE.jpg

Basin Ponds from Knife Edge

Hamlin_Peak_and_Northwest_Basin_Panorama_from_Basin_Pond.jpg

Hamlin Peak and Northwest Basin from Basin Pond

Knife_Edge_from_Pamola_Peak.jpg

Knife Edge from Pamola Peak

I was surprised that more people were not ascending the Knife Edge, but this seemed to be the case last time I was here, with most of
the people descending the KE after slogging up the Saddle Trail.

Hikers_Descending_From_Upper_KE.jpg

Hikers Descending From Upper KE

I spent a good 4 hours just hanging out on various "fins" of the KE, taking it all in - it was easily the most inviting day I had ever spent on this ridge, just perfect!

Knife_Edge_and_Fall_Colors.jpg

Knife Edge and Fall Colors

As I neared the section of the KE that widens as it approaches the South Peak, I finally got to see the source of the hooting and hollering that had been echoing across the basins - a naked 60-something year old man screaming at the top of his lungs, elated at his AT finish. He had thought he had the South Peak to himself (well, and his female companion), so he apologized and re-robed quickly. As I rounded the loop later in the afternoon, I could still hear him hooting from each of the points of the KE as he descended. (That little dot at the top of this next pic is him.) Awesome.

Upper_Knife_Edge.jpg

Upper Knife Edge

After conversing with some other somewhat stunned looking AT finishers, I wandered down the tableland to Hamlin. Not a soul in sight.

The_Brickyard.jpg

The Brickyard and Tablelands

Stones_on_the_Plateau.jpg

Stones on the Tableland

Talus_and_KE.jpg

Talus and KE

Descending Hamlin Ridge, I stepped upon a rather large and spherical rock, which instead of being civil and staying underfoot, had the audacity to roll unexpectedly from under my foot, slamming into my shin. This inspired a loud and stern lecture to all the local boulders that this kind of behavior is no way to treat a friendly hiker. Bad words were said in their direction, only to be greeted with a stony silence. Some interesting "marbles" then appeared under my skin where I presume there was formerly a vein carrying some kind of bodily fluid, but I guess somehow the traffic was rerouted as the swelling went down quite a bit by the time I got to the base of the ridge. I apologized to the stones, rocks, and boulders for my outburst, and
everyone had a group hug. Then I went home.

The End.

KE_Late_Afternoon.jpg

KE Late Afternoon

Beautiful shots. Looks like an awesome day. Great luck for you to be there then with such great weather and low crowds. Too bad about that boulder with the 'tude.... Now as Audrey said.....bed time :p

Great shots, I will definitely send a few links.

With regards to ascending instead of descending. I have done it both ways, but when leading groups or new folks I usually descend as the weather in the AM at roaring brook is not neccessarilly inidcative of how its going to be by the time the group gets to Pamola, if its gets windy or rainy, there may have to be a turnaround short of the summit whihc is a disapointment. If I do it during the descent I can take the group up Cathedral if its nice or Saddle if its questionable and then make the call on the knifes edge on the summit. If the weather is nasty, the folks still have summited Katahdin.

The other reason for descending is that those who are short or have low upper body strength, seem to have more issues when climbing out of the chimney than down this section. It is generally easier for me to get them down this section rather than up it.

Last edited:
What is the highest level above "awesome"?? Whatever it might be, your photos are at that highest level.

It's so difficult to choose a favorite, but my eye keeps going back to your second photo (Basin Ponds from Knife Edge). For me, that photo seems to encapsulate New England hiking at its very finest!

Amazing and Stunning just do not do this report justice! Incredible photos, Tim - and what amazing weather conditions! Super-jealous here!! ;)