Schunemunt mtn, Hudson Highlands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Quick info... The ADK Long Island chapter's trip to Devil'sPath was cxled Fri night because of driving conditions.. I was bummed out. Instead we went to the Western side of the Hudson Highlands. It was lot's of fun once we got there. The trip was shortened because on the way there the Pallisades Turnpike was closed because of a bad accident and we were stuck in traffic for a while. Didn't start hiking until 11:30. The views from the ridge were really nice. The leader set a quick pace and I would have wished for more site seeing, but because of time he kept us moving (I understand). At a certain point the group voted to cxl the second climb due to darkness and on the way out we spotted 2 deer hopping over the railroad tracks going uphill. It was a very nice trip and the company was enjoyable. I was told to bring 4 or 6 point crampons if needed. We had to use them but for a very brief time. We mostly hiked in 2-3 inches of snow. The crampons were tough to put on and I did practice doing that at home. I still had to take my gloves off doing it. Wished I found an easier pair but that's what Campmor had to offer. Couldn't decide what to wear and it ended up that all i wore was a pollypro long shirt and a very light shell. I carried a fleece and heavier shell just in case. I was experimenting with clothes. The weather was in mid 30's and it was windy sometimes... First hike since the vfft summer gathering after doing Marcy... nice to be out again!..David

Schunemunk mtn is a nice place to hike, the Megaliths on the Jessup Trail and the huge RR tressle for Metro North(?). I believe it also contains the highest point in Orange County though not being a county highpointer, I don't keep track of these things... :D

Lots of nice views around with views towards Storm King and the lower Hudson valley.

Glad you had a nice trip, a bunch of that land there is privately owned by some company but allows hikers access to it.

Jay

Jay your right, I saw private property signs and deer tree stands, few yards later it was state property, saw the rr arch, can't comment on the views because we sort of kept going. I would have liked someone to point out the sights. It was very clear and you could see parts of the catskills. It was a few miles off exit 16 near woodbury commons shopping mall.

I went on a hike there with a friend of mine. We parked off on a trailhead about 100 yards after going underneath the RR tressle. I believe going north on the NYS Thruway, right across from Schunemunk on the north bound side is a giant warehouse with 4 stars on the side. Very obvious driving north on the thruway. I believe that company owns the land on the east face of Schunemunk. There are different trailheads but there is a huge sign where we hiked from indicating the rules and regulations being on private land.

A few years ago, somebody was killed on those rocks from a falling rock... :(

Another nice hiking for you is breakneck ridge, although now I would worry a bit about the ice/snow. Parts of hiking breakneck ridge can involve rock scrambles!

Jay

Much of the mountain is now in the Schunemunk Mountain State Park. There are photos (including the railroad trestle) on that web link. You will find a lot about the mountain on the internet via your favorite search engine e.g. google. There is one county high point report from a VFTT member.

The New York Walk Book published by the New York New Jersey Trail Conference has a good chapter on the geology and descriptions of the many trails. Maps are in the West Hudson Trails map set. I have always been partial to the Western Ridge trail, the Megaliths, and the late afternoon views on the Dark Hollow Trail. There are also several small waterfalls scattered around the mountain.

Funny, something told me to buy the West Hudson map set while I was at the Mohonk Preserve Visitors Center the other day. I guess I was looking for some variety to add to the Catskills, which I've been hiking a great deal, and the 'Gunks, which are 15 minutes from my home. Now I'm definitely inspired to make the drive to Schunemunk one of these days.

Matt

Schunemunk Mt

I live 6.5 mins from there. Hike it all the time (am before work).

Summit is Orange County high point.

Saw your tracks yesterday. The posted signs are bogus right there by the tree stands on Long Path.
Views are great.

Remeber when you go to Schunnemunk - say HI to your toll taker at Harriman Toll Station #16 and tell them to say HI to askus3 (Aaron), cuz if I am not there, I might be out on the trail. On Saturday, I was in the toll office bldg. Sunday, was a beautiful day and I was down in Rockland climbing High Tor.