Eisenhower by Edmands Path 10/2/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
I needed to go hiking for my sanity so even though the forcast called for rain I decided that I would hike Edmands Path. I'd summitted Eisenhower a few times before but it had always been as a traverse across the ridge. I wanted to give the Edmands Path a try.
Edmands Path was fairly moderate the entire way to the intersection with the Eisenhower Loop trail. There were no blow downs. On this very rainy day there was a lot of water running on the trail and some puddles. Eventually my gore-tex lined boots wetted out but my wool socks and liner socks kept my feet comfortable. I put shell pants on once I got near the tree line and the wind hit me. Also pulled by softshell jacket out of the pack and put it on under my rain shell for a bit more warmth due to the 40+ mph winds (Winds on Mount Washington at the time were between 50 and 75 mph according to the MWO). Once I broke out of the trees the wind was really driving the rain hard and I tried to keep my face away from the direction of the wind. Heading back down from the summit I kept my face down a bit so the brim of my baseball cap worn under my shell hood took most of the driving rain. When I got back down to the tree line I was protected from the wind driven pellets of rain but it was still coming down pretty steadily. I kept the shell pants and jacket on the entire way to the parking lot. I was glad to have brought dry cloths with me and I changed in the car at the trailhead so I had a nice dry drive home.
Met another hiker by the name of Dave in the parking lot and hiked almost to treeline with him when he decided to turn around. Nice guy. Hope to see him on VFTT.

glad you got out, woody! by the way, i still have your red #1 cam.. :D