New Slide on Colden

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to express how sad I am about the BU student who died up there. Its such a sad thing. We all know how easy it is for things to happen in the mountains. I'm also from Binghamton. Although I didn't know him the fact he loved the mountains speaks volumes. Such a terrible loss.

The main reason for this post is I noticed the new slide on Colden. I was thinking of heading there sometime this month (if its dry enough) to do the Trap Dike but I haven't been there in a few years. It now looks like you have to cross through the new slide to get to the main classic slide.

Does anybody know how this section is for crossing?

Thanks
Mike

I haven't been there yet (post-Irene, that is), but looking at all the photos, it's not clear to me that you have to cross the new slide to access the old one. The new slide appears to be just above and parallel to the old one, so it might be possible to use the old exit point and traverse directly to the old slide. Of course, with the landscape so changed in there, I don't know if I could easily locate the old exit point, but it was generally between 3,600 and 3,700 feet of elevation.

Last edited:
The access to the 'old' slide is still there;
IMG_0109.JPG

No need to get onto the new slide, if that's the way you're going.

We were warned by a group in front of us not to try the steep headwall, so I bushwacked right, from the headwall to the old slide. A matter of 100 feet at most, but it was very thick! The two slides are parallel the whole way up, about that 100 feet apart.
IMG_0132.JPG

thin path

Does anyone remember when this, now new slide, was a very thin path that led you to a miserable cripplebush chocked bushwack? :eek:

Last edited: