Searching for the lost J.R. Persons pill boxes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Comments on a few among the 50 - 60 sub 3K Maine pks climbed in last 3 months

Russell 2402’ : found register placed by JRP in Nov. 2009 #999/1000 . Surely he must have finished by now. When? On which Pk? Does anyone know. Is it the New England 1000 highest list or the Maine 1000 list? Only 1 other entry by Albee in Dec. 2010. BTW last wk saw that Albee also signed in on North Bald Cap jar in NH, saying I believe #279/300. Seems only yesterday when we did our Pemi traverse together.

Attean 2438’ : found JRP pill box placed Aug. 2009 #998/1000. Based on all those pill boxes I have been finding lately he must be quite a sick fellow; but aren’t we all bwkers a little sick upstairs. Wackiosis B viral disease I think it is called, a close relative to the mad cow virus.

Baxter:
Veto N Pk 2840’: no register. Nice open ledge summit
Pogy N Pk 2850’+ Wassataquolk 2981’: no registers. Make sure to check 2 bumps on Wass. Did both pks as a day hike. Very very long day, over 20 miles trail walk + 2 bwks + BSP rules red tape.
Center 2910’: pill box intact
Bald 2817’: JRP pill box cracked & contents completely soaked

Acadia Park:
Cadillac 1528’: In order to avoid hords of tourists on top I climbed pk from east at 05h00 in fog by headlamp with nearby boats blasting their horns away every 3-4 min. as sea regulations oblige in dense fog – a unique experience with sound bouncing off “escarpements” open rocky ledges. Also the fog prevents your light from seeing more than 3-4 ft in front of you “dantesquement dépaysant”. While in the area don’t forget to do Ragged 1310’ just west of Camden, a lovely little Mtn near coast with trail, great views, huge blueberries & most important a warm swim in Hosmer Pond after hike, all for free. Beats the glacial waters of Acadia park where a wet suit is a must in order to swim.

Peaked 2230’: interesting pk, much more than its neighbour Mooseleuk 2449’. Peaked Mtn interests not only ME100 most prominent pkbaggers, but also CHP & geodesic marker chasers (indeed Papa Bear was there in 2010 and yes he found the marker under a few inches of moss).

Blueberry 2962’: near Jackson Mtn. A very very nice open rocky summit with few hundred yards of ledge walk + trail from east (very well kept secret). If you are looking for open pk all to yourself that is the one for you. Ask locals for trail starting point. I bwk from south but returned via trail.

So many interesting pks but also many many boring ones. I will now pass on. Note that while these pks have low elevations, most entail over 1000’ climbs.

Cheers

Last edited:
Surely he must have finished by now.
...Is it the New England 1000 highest list or the Maine 1000 list?
Yes. NE1000 using his own custom list in which Canada has been chopped off at the border as a vertical cliff (which has apparently failed to keep riffraff out :).

This means that at least one spot on the border where the actual summit is in Canada counts on his list.

Peaked Mtn interests not only ME100 most prominent pkbaggers, but also CHP & geodesic marker chasers (indeed Papa Bear was there in 2010 and yes he found the marker under a few inches of moss).
Unlike me, who didn't find it and wondered if I was in the wrong place :-(

Comments on a few among the 50 - 60 sub 3K Maine pks climbed in last 3 months

Russell 2402’ : found register placed by JRP in Nov. 2009 #999/1000 . Surely he must have finished by now. When? On which Pk? Does anyone know. Is it the New England 1000 highest list or the Maine 1000 list?

Hello Pierre

So, you are still out there. Good for you!

JP reported on NEBW that he finished the NEng 1000 list on 10/30/2009 on N Number Sixty Nine Pk (up N of Jackman, ME). The date doesn't fit the register placement you have reported. Another mystery, adding to the B/W lore. It's why we do it, n'est-ce-pas?

Jim

HaH!

Mystery solved. JRP actually signed 9/11/09 on Russell; so must have been 11th sept. instead of 9th nov. as I had thought.

Damned Europeans!

So, I hope you are doing well.

Where are you re the various lists that you are pursuing. We must have this information.

Jim

Where are you re the various lists that you are pursuing. We must have this information.

Jim

Sorry Jim but I prefer to stay low profile. All I can say is that I have now finished playing in Maine.

Register on N. Pogy? Another mystery I guess. Some of those pill boxes put up 5, sometimes more than 10 yrs ago, tend to disappear. I found some under fallen trees, some still attached to tree but under 2 or 3 layers of blowdown. But I am not obsessive to the point of searching hours a flat summit for registers; so it may still be out there...

BTW saw wolf along road to Russell Mtn. a first for me in NEng. They are not uncommon in the Chic-Chocs & Monts Groulx, but in Maine...Have seen in the NEast woods black bears many times, including a small cub who run down a tree faster than a cat(most impressive) but a grey wolf never until now. Has anybody else encountered one in northern Maine.

Last edited: