Suggestions for great views, little effort- a Mt. Avalon-ish or Mt. Cascade hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Something like Mt. Cascade in the Adirondacks- great views, well-cut trail, a good beginner's hike perfect for starting a peak-bagging addiction.

I have a friend who is coming up to visit the White Mts. for fall foliage. He has some hiking experience, but at age 50, is not in shape to run a marathon. He still wants to get in some nice images (we're both into photography), though, from altitude.

So I've started off suggesting Mt. Avalon, between Mt. Field and the Highlands Center. At 3,442' elevation and 3.6 miles round-trip from the parking lot, it seems doable.

Any other suggestions?

Mount Major is usually a good introduction to hiking, amazing views, 3 mile loop, 1.1kft in elevation. Quite a bit farther south than the Whites, though. I'm a bit spoiled with this one being 40 minutes away. :D

Mount Crawford I hear has great views. The only time I was there it was completely socked in. 5m loop with ~2k ele.

I have not done the "Sugar Loaves" near North Twin but I hear they are very nice, bare summits with good views. Also not sure on the distances.

Mt Martha/Owl's head, but that's quite a bit more distance than Avalon so maybe out of your suggested range?

I see Mt. Crawford on my 2nd edition Map Adventures White Mountains Trail Map. It looks like it'd have nice views, certainly much better than what we have here in the DC suburbs!

I know where N. Twin is...

Obviously you're not referring to Owl's Head in the Pemi. I did the 48 four k peaks back in 2005, and am only familiar w/ them. Where is this Mt. Martha/Owl's Head?

As for range, they're looking to stay within the White Mts. Not sure where their hotel will be.

Mount Crawford I hear has great views. The only time I was there it was completely socked in. 5m loop with ~2k ele.

I have not done the "Sugar Loaves" near North Twin but I hear they are very nice, bare summits with good views. Also not sure on the distances.

Mt Martha/Owl's head, but that's quite a bit more distance than Avalon so maybe out of your suggested range?

I don't think he's necessarily looking to start on the 48 list- though I'd love to hear about that happening. W/ their work schedule, the loooonnnnngggg commute from here in the DC suburbs, it's not likely.

Where are Welch and Dickey located at?

I'm only familiar w/ the 4k list peaks, and even then, back in 2005. I can see from reading here that Irene has done a little bit of damage...

How about Welch and Dickey for a non-4kr hike.

Jackson for a 4kr hike.

Where are Welch and Dickey located at?
Welch-Dickey is extremely popular with day hikers and is located in Thornton just north of Campton going towards Waterville Valley. Expect to have plenty of company on this one. I like to hike it in late afternoon and have it to myself. Great bang for your buck over 4.4 miles, easily accessed off I-93.

I'll throw Mt. Israel out there, which is off the beaten track down in Sandwich. Great views of the Sandwich Range with two attractive routes. The shorter but steeper is the Wentworth trail from the south and the Guinea Pond/Mead trails from the north. Both are nice, but I like the latter in the fall. The Guinea Pond route is easier than the 6.6 mile round trip may suggest.

Last edited:
easy 4ks I would recomend pierce, oceola and moosilauke. they are all a pretty easy IMHO. Imp face off of 16 in gorham might be a good spot too

52 WAV list is a little outdated, in my opinion. Trees grow... Starr King has no views anymore, except in winter (unless you want to climb the chimney). This map is *slightly* helpful for orienting yourself:

http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/hike/lists/52map.html

Mount Major trail head is off Rt 11 in Alton, NH. Again, a little south of the whites but you get a view of the entire lake Winnipesaukee, Ossipees, Squam range, the Whites (including presidentials and Mt Washington).

The TH for the Sugarloafs is on Zealand Rd in Twin Mountain off 302.

I'll put in a vote for Welch/Dickey too, it's a very nice loop with many view points.

Bald/Artists Bluff from Cannon Mtn parking lot and Mount Pemigewasset (Indian Head) near Flume Gorge in Franconia Notch are very scenic and in the same area if you want something quite short with easy access.

Old Bridal Path / Tuck's Trail

If your friend is coming from DC, a drive thru Franconia Notch is a must.

I like the Old Bridal Path as far as the Walker Ravine views. 1.9 miles to the views, good footing and great ridge views. You can just keep going up the agonies till you get tired. Maybe you'll get to the hut, maybe you won't!

If you're on the N Conway side, Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Hermit Lake is a great fall hike. Again, you can go as far past the hut as time and energy permit. The views just keep getting better.

Have Fun!

52 WAV list is a little outdated, in my opinion.

Outdated?? OTHH has revised it a couple times recently as peaks grow in (Carr, Wolf.)

If they excluded Carr (which has a decent view) then I suspect Starr King can't be far behind. Which I agree, is less of a view than even 5 years ago.