Dry River Campground

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerbrian

Reaction score
Anyone know how difficult it is to get a spot at Dry River campground this time of year? They don't take reservations and I would be arriving late-ish next Friday night. Thanks!

The likeliest result of your scenario is that the odds are against you: it's popular, has hot showers, not too many spaces, and is on a main road right in the middle of things. I've been there at such a time and felt lucky to have my spot. In reality, it'll be totally hit-or-miss, so I'd plan a back-up alternative. Good luck!

I highly recommend that you call them. They took a lot of damage from Irene including washing out the access driveway, and I thought I read somewhere (back then) that they wouldn't be reopening this season, so they may be operating on a modified schedule this year.

If they are first-come-first-serve for Columbus Day weekend (!) then I agree, it's a good place to stay and likely to be very popular.

Last edited:
Anyone know how difficult it is to get a spot at Dry River campground this time of year? They don't take reservations and I would be arriving late-ish next Friday night. Thanks!

You could always try Tarry Ho in Twin Mountain.

Thanks all, I did call the Crawford Notch ranger station, and Dry River campground is definitely open through October (Which is not what their website says - and also not what Reserve America said - but I'm inclined to believe the human being that I talked with on the phone). However it wasn't clear if it fills up on an off-season weekend (not Columbus day weekend, the following weekend). I know there are other options in the area, just wanted to understand the POS for this one. Thanks again. Oh and, Dry River Trail is still closed with heavy damage, that may be what you're thinking of (@MichaelJ).

Last edited:
@MichaelJ-
Thanks for digging up those photos, I hadn't seen those particular shots. I can confirm, however, that the campground is definitely open now, through the end of October, with full services (but first-come, first-served after this weekend), then open weather permitting until December. Still not sure if it's a good bet for showing up late on a Friday though...

I stayed there last weekend, and I got reservations I think about a week and a half before the plan. As far as I can tell, it's completely open, the bathrooms and showers were all functional and no problems getting there from 302 and Twin Mtn. The road right in front of the campground was down to the underasphalt but it was open...

The campground was almost full but still had spots left when I booked it.

jay

So.. before I call, does anybody know if Dry River campground is indeed still open this weekend???

Jay