Speckled Mountain (Evans Notch, WMNF, Maine)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I’ve suspended hiking in NH for the next few weeks and gone back to work on some out-of-state redlining projects. Today I returned to Speckled Mountain in the Evans Notch. I’d already hiked the Bickford Brook/Blueberry Ridge and the Cold Brook Trail approaches to Speckled so this time I went in from the west on the Spruce Hill Trail. Spruce Hill is a relatively “new” trail in the WMNF. After the CCC extended the old logging road that became Rt 113 north to Rt 2 in the 1930s, this trail was cut around 1935 as the most direct approach to Speckled. At that time, Speckled had a cabin near the top for a “USFS lookout man.” By the mid-1940s the cabin had been upgraded into a fire tower, which stood until sometime in the 1980s. Now the whole area is designated as the Caribou-Speckled Mountain Wilderness, and the fire tower has been dismantled. The view from the top of Speckled is no longer 360*, but it’s easily 270* to the west-north-east, with no southern exposure remaining. The view is spectacular. The N and NNE views take in the Mahoosucs and Grafton Notch mountains. I’m still trying to figure out, though, which mountains in the Presidential range to the NNW I was seeing today. This is an easy-moderate hike with about 2000' net elevation gain and RT distance of 6.2 miles. The footing is very mellow. In the last quarter mile approaching the summit are a few mini-ice flows in the trail but it’s still bare-bootable. Snow patches above 2500'.The wind on top this morning was fierce, probably gusting to 60 mph or at least enough to make me brace while I tried to stay upright to take some pics. Temps in the 20s on top. Great hike with a fantastic view for relatively little effort. I saw no one else all day (Appalachia had only 6 parked cars on the way home across NH). This would be a good snowshoe hike although 113 will be gated for winter.

That's Washington front and center, with the lawn and summit cone rising above the headwall of Huntington Ravine. Moving right, the snowy "peak" contiguous with Washington is likely Clay, rising above the Great Gulf (not clearly visible). The thin line of white above the Carters would be Jefferson.

Great pics on your webshots site, btw!

Thanks, I was guessing Huntington Ravine hence Washington-Clay-Jeff although my compass reading didn't seem exactly accurate for that. But the wind was gusting so high that I didn't spend a lot of time fiddling with it. I snapped a bunch of other photos yesterday that I haven't had time to look at carefully yet but I'll see if they yield anything more.

Waumbek: I have not done any hiking on that side of Evans Notch. You say you've done Speckled Mt. from three routes now. Would you recommend one over another.

Also, does anyone know where the road is gated at the southern end?

Carole--they're all good in one way or another. The advantage of Spruce Hill right now is that there are no water crossings, i.e., no ice. There is a little ice higher up in the trail but nothing that required traction on Sunday. Spruce Hill is also the shortest trail and you can do the hike itself in a 1/2 day easily plus travel time, a factor (for me) with the shorter day light right now. The view is worth seeing so save it for a clear day. You are not exposed to the wind until the very top. I doubt that the lower part of 113 is gated as there is no snow below 2500'. If you get up there, please let me know if you see Old Speck to the NNE.

The Spruce Hill Trail, which comes in from the west, ends at the Bickford Brook Trail, so it's technically on the latter (the old tractor road, I think), which comes up from the south, that I approached the summit last weekend. The Bickford approach is sheltered right to the summit (see pic), which I greatly appreciated in Sunday's windy conditions. There are very limited views from Spruce Hill Tr, just a few glimpses of the Royces through the trees on the lower part, and a view or two back over your shoulder to the Presidentials higher up.

Gate on Rt. 113

The gate is just south of Brickett Place, an old brick homestead. Rt. 113 still open for now, otherwise, to access Speckled Mtn, you'd have to take Bickford or Blueberry trails. Gate on the north end of rt. 113 is before the Roost.