hale, zealand, west bond, south twin, north twin 10/10/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 10/10/11

trails: north twin trail, herd path, firewardens trail, lend a hand trail, twinway, bondcliff trail, west bond spur, north twin spur

conditions: all trails in good shape. removed a few blowdowns along the route and it's pretty much clear now. mud was generally minimal. biggest thing i noted all day was that the blazing on the west bond spur has been scraped off the trees still leaving very clear scraped blazes (in some cases pretty ugly) in their wake. i always used to joke that it was the best blazed piece of trail in the wilderness, but not anymore. something for people heading up there this winter to keep in mind with regards to route finding.
water crossings were all ok. the upper (3rd) crossing of the little river was interesting. as noted in other posts i found the easiest place to cross to be just up stream of a large blowdown laying across the now single main channel of the river. i bypassed the 2 lower crossings with the herd path, but they certainly could be crossed most likely with wet boots.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: great day for this loop. winds kept temps pretty cool and made for good hiking. this was my first time on the firewardens trail and i really enjoyed it. some beautiful woods in there. nice day to be out.

bryan

[email protected]