"The Grid" has replaced "The List"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I think those who have done the grid are pretty hardcore hikers and I tip my hat to them. For me its to late, I have only worked on 2 list in my life, the 4k's, then the 14ers (still working on those). I have climbed alot of 4k's, but to be honest I have no idea how many, I ditched my log book in a fit of rage years ago and swore never to be list driven again, I broke my word when I met a 14er. The reason the 4k's and the 14ers to me are worthy list is that is brings you to all locations in the region your in, its builds a sense of home as you learn and become very familier with your mountains. The grid does not appeal to me because I have no idea where I stand now, lets just say I can name 10 peaks with over 50 ascents I know off at least, also I have a list (in my head) of peaks with only one ascent to date and that will proboly stay that way, maybe. Truth is, I climb stricly because I love to hike and there are some mountains in the Whites that I just love to death and never get tired of being on them. I have no desire to do Owls head 12 times, or Tecumseh, or The kinsmans, or Galehead, or a few others. Nine out of ten times I drive to the mountains I dont know where Im hiking until I get to about Lincoln, Im a scatter brain who hates commitment, planning and being tied down to anything. Those of you who seek the grid, go and be one with your dreams, keep the wind at your back and the sun in your face, me Im just waundering around hanging out wherever the wind blows, but always on one of the peaks I love and consider home away from home.

I think it's true. People are just looking for new challenges after doing the 4K,s, and most don't like bushwhacks enough to get into 3K's. Fine with me.

As for me, I don't think I'll complete the grid one day, unless I live in the Whites, and I had finish the 3K's lists, and the Trailwrights, and that I'm done with red lining.

OH, and all Views & Brews lists needs to be done too, 'cuz that's waaaay more fun than doing the grid !! My 2 cents :D

An interesting discussion but hardly anything to argue about...
We're all here because we love the Whites and love hiking in them.
Who cares if somebody just climbs the same peak that they love over and over again, or if somebody else wants to red line each trail, or hike The Grid or hit waterfalls, or whatever?
I say bravo to anybody who loves the Whites in any way and wants to enjoy them.
Personally, there's a lot of mountains out there I'd love to climb, and some of them I will. But the White are my backyard and since I'm not going to be moving to Colorado anytime in the near future, I figure why not plan my White Mountain hiking around The Grid? It doesn't mean I'll turn down a chance to summit Jefferson with a buddy just because I already "have" that one during a given month? The Grid just gives me a nice lifetime goal to keep track of as I get older and get more familiar with the mountains I love. :)

I'm not even going to think about trying to get every peak in every ski season month.

Nor April.
My least months are April/May, traditional whitewater season

In a boat, not on the trails :)

Beyond the Grid... there are a whole lot of mountains out there!!

While there's a lot of effort involved in even one grid, much less 4 or 5, there's a lot of repetition - it's more of an athletic feat than a mountain adventure. I'm more impressed by the people who have done ~3000 or more different peaks, a level I'll never reach. This numbers are for 300' prominence which would exclude many NH4k much less the 20' bumps some people are logging on Peakbagger.

There are plenty of quality peaks here too - Bob Martin has done something like the Colo 2000 highest which includes peaks like Lizard Head and he didn't start until age 40 or so. Bob Packard's numbers are low because these are only US peaks and don't include his ascents in places like Iran and South Africa.

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Content/totalpeaks.php?Year=Career
Career - Total Peaks (300'+ Rise) Leaders - no repeats
Rank Member # Peaks
1 Bob Martin 5517
2 BobPackard 4237
3 Mike Garratt 3661
4 MarkNichols 2930

Who cares if somebody just climbs the same peak that they love over and over again, or if somebody else wants to red line each trail, or hike The Grid or hit waterfalls, or whatever?
I say bravo to anybody who loves the Whites in any way and wants to enjoy them. It doesn't mean I'll turn down a chance to summit Jefferson with a buddy just because I already "have" that one during a given month? :)

Agreed...nothing wrong with keeping track of lists or hiking in the rain...By working on a friends list or your own there is always a peak to seek.Sometimes you follow the sun.. Hey..we did Adams/Madison and beyond weekly in July...you have to love those presi days..and that being said, while we ended the days on the same peaks every hike was in fact different due to trails, temps, moose sightings, or whatever..its all good. I enjoy the exercise part of it greatly and look forward to hiking days whenever they fall..weather doesn't really matter..sometimes you do TFW..The good friendships made along the way are priceless and I have been personally fortunate to meet up with a group with similar philosophies. As a working person I don't get to choose hiking days ..if its tuesday..well you gotta hike..

Though I am full in October...what do ya need?

REAL hikers Grid the Trailwright 72 (with the x12 on the 72 hours of trailwork as well)

Doubtful. (not that you're seriously implying that it is). 864 individual hikes vs. probably 200-300 individual hikes to complete the grid.

HE is no doubt well under 200 hikes from completing, as he has the regular 48 well under control from 4 grids plus at least a couple known rounds of the rest of the 72. He will likely do that many hikes in the next couple years, and many of the extras can be combined with more rounds of the regular grid. As to whether he will actually do it, ask him.

Some of the trailwork is required to be done on Trailwrights trips and they don't traditionally do trailwork in the winter. But I'll bet they'd run some special trips if necessary - it's a good time to prune overhanging branches :)

Nor April.
:)

April is for hiking in MA and Southern NH! My traditional "Monorail avoidance" month. Alas that is why I will never do the grid....spring 4K hiking. :D OK, I am lying, there are way more important reason why I would never do the grid.....mostly along the lines of Stev-O's. If someone told me I had to do Hale, Waumbek, Tecumseh, Cabot (long drive little reward) and Zealand in every month I would go bonkers. It is bad enough I have done Hale 4 times. To each their own, but I would rather get shredded, poked, bruised and bleed profusely from multiple scratches doing whacks on the 3K list than do the grid (which is to say that is EXACTLY what I am doing. :D )

Brian

If someone told me I had to do Hale, Waumbek, Tecumseh, Cabot (long drive little reward) and Zealand in every month I would go bonkers.

Hey now, Zealand is a *great* hike! 9 times so far, and only 6 different months. :D

I say bravo to anybody who loves the Whites in any way and wants to enjoy them.
Personally, there's a lot of mountains out there I'd love to climb, and some of them I will. But the White are my backyard and since I'm not going to be moving to Colorado anytime in the near future, I figure why not plan my White Mountain hiking around The Grid? It doesn't mean I'll turn down a chance to summit Jefferson with a buddy just because I already "have" that one during a given month? The Grid just gives me a nice lifetime goal to keep track of as I get older and get more familiar with the mountains I love. :)

Sounds to me like you have the best of both worlds, working a list and a goal, yet not a slave to it.

Hey now, Zealand is a *great* hike! 9 times so far, and only 6 different months. :D

I'm a big fan of Zealand myself. I enjoyed that summit more than a few times when it became the high point of multiple failed winter attempts at West Bond. It might also be my favorite summit sign in the Whites.

When I started putting grid dates in a few years ago, I realized I had hiked Passaconaway three times...all in March. :eek:

"and you don't have to be Ed Hawkins or Sue Johnston or Cath Goodwin to do it in a few years"

I started hiking NH 4k's in 1987, and finished the Grid in 2003, so that is not exactly completing the Grid in a few years :rolleyes:

Working in Waterville Valley and Lincoln during the 80's & 90's, I would routinely hike Tecumseh - Osceola (main peak) - Cannon - Moosilauke as an afterwork hike. I enjoyed hiking one of those mountains (along with Sandwich - Snow's - Welch & Dickey) instead of running, and then after each of the multiple knee surgeries it was more comfortable to hike than run.
I enjoy the physical exercise, so living here amongst the hills & mountains is perfect.

Tecumseh is a favorite of mine. Ascending & descending via the ski trails I have frequently seen wildlife (listening to the Moose bellow over near Green Mtn is always wicked cool) ~ and the views are far & wide. The fall foliage scenery is absolutely fantastic. You've gotta find the love for Tecumser Wu!

Completing the Grid, or any other list, doesn't mean a thing, other than the person was having FUN in their own personal way.

Last edited:
Oh man, I've been hiking for more than "a few years" and I've never completed any list whatsoever. I feel like such a failure. And now I learn the bar to success is so much higher? I don't know if I can take it...

I am surprised no one has mentioned redlining the WMG handbook as a list/goal. Rather than repeating many hikes, for me, I'd rather go and explore new places and trails I've never done. Trails exist for a reason: they go somewhere. I'd like to see where all the trails go to instead of always seeing the same thing. I think there is too much focus on hikes being "peak-oriented" and not just getting out there and exploring.

Cath said:
Completing the Grid, or any other list, doesn't mean a thing, other than the person was having FUN in their own personal way.
Thanks for that lovely post, Cath, and the specific words of wisdom that I quoted above. The rest of your post, the way that it was worded, tells a lot about your specific reasons for completing the grid - reasons that I very much respect and appreciate (in spite of my general disdain for lists). Bravo!