Boundary Peak (Maine) via Wiggle Brook Road and boundary swath

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
A heads up to those approaching or returning from Boundary Peak via Wiggle Brook Road:

It wasn't very many years ago (probably about 12 years for me) that you could drive all the way to the simple gate at the US-Canada boundary and hike the swath. After 911 our borders supposedly became a bit more secure but this one is unguarded, though I expect there is plenty of electronic surveillance. Now, with the help of nature, this approach to the border is a bit more secure north of Porter Brook.

First, about a half mile from the border beavers have flooded the road. As of this weekend it wasn't too deep to have driven through but on foot we bushwhacked 100 yards or so around it. Funny part was in returning to the road we had to cross a drainage ditch which was also dammed with several cute small mini beaver dams, making the return to the high and dry road a bit more challenging.

Then, at the north end of Cupsuptic Pond the road has been allowed to return to a more natural state. A path still remains and I expect that between hunters, hikers and fishermen, it will long be easy to follow. The alders that once caressed the car now lunge for the pedestrian.

Just be prepared to add a mile or so each way to your hike and to search carefully for "Wiggle Brook Path" on the way back. Even the "stop" sign on the old gate about 10 yards from the swath into Canada is barely visible through the brush.