New Hampshire Fish and Game Search and Rescue Funding Hearing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps this is why F&G creationed Hikesafe in 2003.

To play the Devil's Advocate (always a real stretch for me), if HikeSafe were truly an effective program, wouldn't we have seen a decrease in hiker-related SAR activity since it's creation?

I think it's a mistake to think of this as a choice between providing SAR the money they obviously need OR some type of ongoing hiker education programs. My take is that we are going to need both.

Glad to see you reference that excellent study, BTW. In light of the findings on cardiac health from that study, it would be nice to see the HikeSafe responsibility code incorporate a little more language about fitness and older hikers - as it is, the closest it comes is this:

Fatigue and unexpected conditions can also affect your hike.

Billy Joel plays piano, and is the Piano Man. So there! :D

The footnote in Craig's chart that shows the SAR costs associated with various types of activities (hiking, boating, hunting, etc.) indicates that the costs are "primarily for personnel and do not include training, equipment or current expenses."

Given that many (most?) of SAR teams are made up of volunteers, and/or may include personnel from other organizations (i.e., state police/sheriff's department/Nat'l Guard/etc.) it makes me wonder what personnel NHF&G is paying for. Is it overtime for F&G employees overseeing/coordinating a rescue after normal business hours? Do they hire the equivalent of temporary workers for each incident to go search the woods?

If you're a F&G officer and one day you're helping bring an injured hiker off Monadnock, say, instead of stocking some lake with fish (or whatever else you'd planned to do that day), aren't you still performing duties for which you are already getting paid?

I guess I'm trying to determine if the $860K number in Craig's chart represents the incremental cost of SAR missions or is just the proportion of F&G's expenses they're allocating to SAR activites, as opposed to fish management activites, wildlife habitat activities, etc. -- i.e., the rest of what F&G does.

F&G is charged by statute with managing inland SAR in the state, so staffing levels for COs have to take that into account. The number of COs and their salary cost is thus determined in part by the anticipated SAR workload. In other words, NH could theoretically employ fewer COs (I'm NOT advocating that, there aren't enough as it is for their other duties), if F&G weren't responsible for SAR (I'm NOT advocating that either). The COs both act as incident commanders and go into the field as responders in addition to the volunteers at many, if not most, SAR missions. There are no temporary workers hired for SAR missions. (There is "some" money $pent for contract helicopter service occasionally ..........)

SAR prevention: YES!

I just skimmed the epidemiological report, the conclusions in Craig's post are but a summary of the report. Relying on that, I have a strong sense of deja vue.
One thing the State of NH does right is providing free maps for hikers at popular trailheads on state land. Not everywhere, only at State Parks, but I have no doubt they help tourists stay found. The Friends of Mt Cardigan State Park restock the map supply in the Clyde Smith Shelter every Friday between Memorial Day and Columbus Day.
Once they are on the trail, both the Cardigan Highlanders VTC and the AMC Cardigan VTC overblaze the trails, especially the tourist loops, compared to the normal guidelines in the manuals. We are trying to help tourists stay found and prevent searches. IMO repainting blazes regularly ranks right after cleaning drains and chopping blowdowns as vital tasks for trailworkers; I put painting blazes ahead of brushing out the trail corridor for keeping hikers on the trail. Certainly the most frequent complaint is "we couldn't find the trail." To which I like to be able to reply with some accuracy "these are the most overblazed trails in NH."
From all I have seen I believe that maps offered free or cheap at trailheads would probably be the single best thing we could do to prevent lost tourists.
Just as short-term SAR insurance cards with HikeSafe posters would focus their minds much better than they are now.

"we couldn't find the trail"...

as in one second we were on it and the next we were not? (lost trail)
as in we made it to our destination and can't find the (start of the) trail back?
as in we couldn't figure out how to get from the parking lot to the destination?

I'm not sure a map helps in the first two cases. A map relies on knowing where you are and where you want to go. Blazing is a big help, followed by obvious trail corridors, but I would think signage would help as much or more.

Personally, and your usage may be different, but on any trailed hike, I have only ever used the map for two purposes - identifying other peaks and figuring out the distance for an unplanned side trip.

I'm all for reducing SARs (and I haven't read the report, yet) but when the number of people doing something increases, the number of bad things related to it increases as well. I.e., the number of SARs is increasing, but that may just me because there are more people staycationing and going on inexpensive "hikes".

Tim

"we couldn't find the trail"...

as in one second we were on it and the next we were not? (lost trail)
as in we made it to our destination and can't find the (start of the) trail back?
as in we couldn't figure out how to get from the parking lot to the destination?

I'm not sure a map helps in the first two cases. A map relies on knowing where you are and where you want to go. Blazing is a big help, followed by obvious trail corridors, but I would think signage would help as much or more.

Personally, and your usage may be different, but on any trailed hike, I have only ever used the map for two purposes - identifying other peaks and figuring out the distance for an unplanned side trip.

I'm all for reducing SARs (and I haven't read the report, yet) but when the number of people doing something increases, the number of bad things related to it increases as well. I.e., the number of SARs is increasing, but that may just me because there are more people staycationing and going on inexpensive "hikes".

Tim

I may be a big wimp but if I cannot see a blaze in front of me and behind me...I am out of there. I don't hike on any poorly blazed trail or unblazed trail unless its a jeep road/carriage road.

I like using my compass for the sheer joy of playing with it. Same with my garmin track/track back. It's also good practice in case, God forbid, I should ever really need either one of them.

LOST...been there, done that, saved by the dog.
I try to insure this NEVER happens again. Fortunately "four paws" was smarter than I was. :eek:

At this age, I really don't want to spend the night in the woods, even if I do haul all my "emergency" gear in case of injury.

"Staying found is my only option
Blazes and signage=WAY TO GO!"
:D
Maddy's new quote

SAR needs to be fully funded every year, even if they don't perform a single rescue. Fewer rescues would lower their expenses, but there will always be a supply of poorly prepared 30-40 year old males willing to harm their lower musculoskeletal extremities.

Creag Nan Drochaid said:
From all I have seen I believe that maps offered free or cheap at trailheads would probably be the single best thing we could do to prevent lost tourists.
Just as short-term SAR insurance cards with HikeSafe posters would focus their minds much better than they are now.

Create SAR awareness partnerships with storefront and web based retailers like EMS, LLBean, IME, Wildthings, etc. Web based retailers could target customers based upon IP address.

Create SAR awareness partnerships with GPS and Topo map manufactures to promote awareness directly in their products.

Create a phone app that would list (NH hiking related) POI based upon geographic location of the user. Use that app as an SAR educational tool.

Create SAR awareness partnerships with storefront and web based retailers like EMS, LLBean, IME, Wildthings, etc. Web based retailers could target customers based upon IP address.

Create SAR awareness partnerships with GPS and Topo map manufactures to promote awareness directly in their products.

Create a phone app that would list (NH hiking related) POI based upon geographic location of the user. Use that app as an SAR educational tool.

I'm with ya on the first two; not so much on the third.

IMO, the over-reliance on technology is one of reasons behind the increase in SAR. ("Nah, I don't need a map...if I get lost I'll just call 911 on my iPhone and they'll come get me.") :rolleyes:

What is the hook to get the retailers to promote SAR, or even awareness? On some level, if someone is interested in buying gear to go hiking, and you "scare" them into thinking about SAR, you are (potentially) scaring them away from a sale.

Maybe they could have a 10-essentials package or something?
Includes the HikeSafe pamphlet?

Tim

New EMS Sale "Survive the Holidays Sale!!

Today, one day only, get your full survival package!! No self-respecting outdoorsperson would dare venture into the woods without one of THESE (insert picture of a flashlight)!!

Big savings on all required (insert hikesafe link here) essential survival gear:

20% off on flashlights!
15% on iSPOT locators!!
Buy on-get on half-off on whistles!!!
All compasses, 30% off!!!!
GPS 10% off!!

Oops, I forget to mention.

Perhaps everyone with a hiking related website, blog or facebook page, that feels this issue is important, could put their message, front and center on their site.

Add to the list of "Cute but probably unworkable or ineffective ideas":

At major trailheads, some type of very simple armored LED pinch-light vending/pickup/return(?) box dispenser thing, with a simple sign on top "Do you have a light? If not, take/buy one of these for $1". Sponsored by Petzl or Black Diamond with tiny permanent advert?

What is the hook to get the retailers to promote SAR, or even awareness? On some level, if someone is interested in buying gear to go hiking, and you "scare" them into thinking about SAR, you are (potentially) scaring them away from a sale.

I'm not sure it's a hard sell to the retailers, or that you have to scare people into buying them in that context. REI stores in Mass sell WMNF parking passes (or at least they did), I don't think a SAR card is that much of a jump from there.

Then to sell them, appeal to the buyer's desire to support Search and Rescue rather then their fear they might NEED search and rescue. And you can sell them to non-hikers too: people make donations to organizations all the time as gifts to their friends and family. This is a similar pitch. "What do you get the hiker who has everything? Support the hiking community they love/Support the critical services that serve them."

Craig,

Maybe you could be more specific when you say "Create SAR awareness partnerships". What exactly are the retailers selling or promoting here?

I can see the retailers promoting safer hiking, better gear, how-to-use-it (the last being a bit more difficult to justify during the holiday frenzy, I think, with seasonal help and packed stores.)

I can see them handing out Hike-Safe cards as promotions, with their name or a coupon or something on the card.

I am not sure I see them increasing funding for SAR, or support for funding for SAR. Selling cards, t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc., perhaps, but I'm still not buying one myself as I don't see myself as a negligent hiker.

Some of the marketing ideas have potential, and thank you for replying. Keep the ideas coming. Maybe a reader is in a corporate position has a socially responsibility directive and can make something happen.

Here's another marketing idea - like the MWO has EMS as a corporate clothing sponsor, maybe F&G / SAR could get some outdoor gear sponsors? Govt. may not be ready for corporate sponsorship, however.

Tim

IMO, the over-reliance on technology is one of reasons behind the increase in SAR. ("Nah, I don't need a map...if I get lost I'll just call 911 on my iPhone and they'll come get me.") :rolleyes:
We should also note that boots, shoes, and clothing are technology. As are maps, compasses, electronic widgits and all sorts of other stuff that we bring along on hikes.

Without boots, I'd never have any need for SAR in the NE. My feet are too tender to hike without...

Doug

Another idea - Maybe EMS or REI or whoever sells the SAR card for $20 which gives SAR $20 and gives you $20 of a $100 or more purchase. Or some variation thereof. That way, everyone gets something concrete.

I'm not sure any of these ideas target the recreational tourist who is already "well equipped" with their tools of clothing, shoes and cell phones.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim,

I'm exploring ways to lower SAR incidences through educational opportunities that reach the largest target demographic, as economical as possible.
I believe there is an, indeterminable, financial benefit in lowering SAR incidences.

I am not exploring combining revenue generation with educational opportunities.......yet.

Here's another idea. When I raced (bicycles), my club was considered a "development club" in that we had a large membership and worked to recruit new racers which we hoped would do well and move on to teams.

One very popular event was an annual spring racing clinic. We used this to attract strong, recreational riders, or non-cycling athletes and teach them racing skills and etiquette necessary to keep them upright and minimize crashes and injuries. Through a partnership with our sponsoring bike shop, we put 30-40 new racers through the program every spring, giving us new members, our sponsors new customers, race organizers and promoters new "customer", and other racers new competitors. Ours was not the only developmental club.

I'm not an AMC member, but it seems that they are the equivalent of the bicycle club. What (more) can they do? And what sponsorship can they derive, if any? (without losing their tax-exempt status)

I'm thinking though that this still won't target the majority of the "hikers" that need rescue.

Just another $0.02 ;)

Tim

I read the Epidemiology... study cited previously, and will include some snippets which caught my eye from participating in this thread. Stuff in italics is copied-and-pasted.

At the time of the incident, 57.3% of the subjects were hiking. Injuries precipitated 39.3% of the rescues, whereas lost and missing persons accounted for 41.4%. Fractures accounted for 33.7% of the reported injuries; 49.7% of the injuries were to the lower extremities.

According to the National Survey on Recreation and the Environment, the number of Americans who hike increased 46% between 1994 and 2002 from 47.8 million to 69.7 million.

The state of New Hampshire, which includes the largest portion of White Mountain National Forest, was chosen as the study area for this project because it contains a number of easily accessible, heavily visited wilderness areas used by a broad cross section of the population. With 2.7 million visits during 2000, White Mountain National Forest is one of the most heavily visited wilderness areas in the United States, similar to Yosemite National Park (3.4 million visits) and Yellowstone National Park (2.8 million visits).

* Hiking is the most frequent activity associated with search and rescue.
* The most common injuries are musculoskeletal injuries to the extremities.

Search-and-rescue incidents that met the criteria for inclusion in the study involved people who were intentionally engaged in one of the following wilderness activities: hiking, walking, climbing, cross-country skiing, backcountry downhill skiing, hunting, snowmobiling, all-terrain vehicle use, boating, canoeing, or fishing.

Hiking was by far the most common activity (57.3%), involving 5 times as many subjects as the next most common activity, operation of an off-highway recreational vehicle such as a snowmobile or an all-terrain
vehicle (11.5%).

The most common environmental factor reported as contributing to the need for search and rescue was darkness, which was cited in 26.8% of the cases. The next most common element was inclement weather, which was cited in 11.2% of the cases. The 2 most common human factors contributing to the need for search and rescue were fall/injury (30.1%) and poor judgment (19.9%). Intoxication/drugs were believed to have contributed to 4.5% of the incidents.

(October, from a chart, is the month recording the most SARs out of the higher-than-the-rest-of-the-year span from June through November, I attribute this to foliage visitors, and widely fluctuating conditions at this time of year... i.e., it can be winter in the mountains and beautiful in your backyard.)

Cell phone use was not systematically recorded, but in 15.6% of the cases, the narrative specifically noted that the subject, the subject’s party, or a passerby used a cell phone to request assistance.

The gender breakdown observed in this study, 64.5% men and 35.4% women, is very similar to the gender breakdown in the National Visitor Use Monitoring Results: White Mountain National Forest study, which found that 65% of the visitors to the White Mountains were men and that 35% were woman.12 The proportion of men and women requiring search and rescue in New Hampshire appears to reflect the overall population visiting New Hampshire wilderness areas, the largest of which is White Mountain National Forest.

Given that most people requiring search and rescue live in or near New Hampshire, perhaps education and prevention efforts should be concentrated on local populations.

The largest proportion of search and rescue was initiated for lost or missing persons. These rescues are potentially preventable if wilderness users plan ahead and use detailed maps. Education on wilderness preparedness
and map use may be a means of preventing 42% of search and rescue.

Hikers may be a difficult population to reach, however, as no opportunity to uniformly reach hikers exists. In contrast, many of the other activities included in this study—such as boating, snowmobiling, hunting, and fishing—require a license or permit, which represents a distinct opportunity when safety information may be conveyed or safety courses encouraged.

The peak in search and rescue from June to October likely reflects an increase in overall visitors to New Hampshire wilderness areas during these months. The afternoon peak in incidents may be partially attributable to fatigue later in the day, which may make people more prone to injuring themselves. People also may not consider themselves lost until the afternoon
or evening when daylight begins to fade.

I am surprised there is no mention of descending being more challenging than ascending, in terms of falling. I am always more likely to turn an ankle or trip while descending.

What caught my eye most was:

Hikers may be a difficult population to reach, however, as no opportunity to uniformly reach hikers exists.

Perhaps this is something we can address in our continuing conversation.

Tim