Taking time to smell the foliage: Pictures from Osceola’s and Greeley Ponds 10/8/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
IMG_3901.JPG

The decision of what to hike: What could be said about the forecast for this past Columbus day weekend other than, holy crap! Zero percent chance of precipitation, abundant sunshine, and record high temps. Wow, that must mean that I have to hike both days. I should do an overnight into the Pemi to bag the Bonds and Twins for October or bag some of the Presi’s. What a great opportunity…another October weekend like this might not come along for years. That’s the kind of stuff I thought at first.
Wait. Since when do I “have” to do anything when hiking? The only thing I “have” to do is make it out safely. Other than that, isn’t it about having fun and enjoying wild places?

So I went for a hike that better fit what I really wanted to accomplish this weekend.

The hike: East Osceola 4156’, Mount Osceola 4340’, Upper Greeley Pond, Lower Greeley Pond

1 Tackle Steep Climbing
The trail up is persistent and rocky, you use your hands a bit.
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG

The chimney is a 40 foot high wall/crack that is fun and intense. It’s 80 degrees in some places I swear, but has awesome holds.

2 See foliage
IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

3 Get summit views
IMG_3643.JPG

This one is 100% unedited--the sky was that blue (though I did use a polarizing filter on the camera)
IMG_3644.JPG

4 Lounge at peaceful backcountry ponds in the last warmth before winter
IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

Somehow, I was the only one at lower Greeley pond. I sat and thought and even took a nap. I enjoyed the warm breeze laced with downed leaves and the sound of the gentle waves. I stared up at the cliffs of East Osceola and Mt. Kancamangus. I felt small and in the presence of something big.

5 Save Sunday for the family, share this beautiful place in gorgeous weather with them..
IMG_3811.JPG

In the end, this last goal was the most important and fulfilling. In the end, I was happy with the decisions I made and goals I pursued. In the end, on my deathbed, God won’t care if I finished my big hiking lists. Neither will I.

IMG_3862.JPG

Last edited:
John, your "5" scored a "10" with me!
Beautiful photos and trip report. Sounds to me like you have your priorities set properly!

IMG_3901.JPG

The decision of what to hike: What could be said about the forecast for this past Columbus day weekend other than, holy crap! Zero percent chance of precipitation, abundant sunshine, and record high temps. [/IMG]

What else is there to say? How about "holy crap, I have to friggin' work!!!"

NICE photos! I'm thoroughly discouraged now! Back under my rock and feeling sorry for myself!! :D:D:D:D

Thanks all for the kind words.

Una Dogger and The Unstrung Harp--sorry you had to miss out on hiking because of less than desireable reasons--working and injury. Hopefully you both get to enjoy the foliage this year somehow, its been pretty good.

John - Wow, great colors. I like your angle on the chimney too. The deep blue sky is really cool as well. And...I really like the hobblebush leaf that is half changed to red...I suppose I like them all. Very nice!

Karl

All I can say is "Wow"...and people wonder WHY would you want to go up just to have to go back down.

Some people just don't/won't get it...