Northville to Duckhole, Sewards, Upperworks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
I'm coming up for a long weekend. Its been months since I have been up there and I currently dont have a feel for how water logged trails/swamps are.

Does anyone see any problems with the following itenerary in terms of trails or roads or camping restrictions post-Irene?

Day 1: Avery road to moose pond.
Day 2: relocate to duckhole, dayhike sewards
Day 3: Hike out to upper works

My thinking is be prepared for lots of water crossings, especially near avery road. Anyone been up that way lately?

I have heard access to upper works is no problem. I know the damn is out at duck hole. My biggest fear is lack of followable trail on the north end of the northville-placid trail coming in from Avery road. Also I have never been into the sewards.

Thanks!
Justin

The herd path over the Sewards from the Ward Brook Truck Trail are easily followed, the climb up to Seward gets steeper as you ascend. Then there is a decent drop between Seward and Donaldson but not to bad, and between Donaldson and Emmons is pretty easy going, some usual ADK style mud in spots that's all.

I don't know about the approach from Avery Road, hopefully someone else will post some updated info. When I hiked the Seward Range I came in from Coreys Road and went up to the ridge from the Calkin's Brook Herd Path, it was pretty strait forward and a very enjoyable hike.

Have a fun hike!

-Chris

Last edited:
The Northville-Placid trail is like a highway through the woods compared to many other trails. Just keep your eyes open and you should have no problems navigating it. There is a swampy section between Wanika Falls and Moose Pond, but it's not too terribly difficult to navigate (although I haven't been there since Irene).

As for camping restrictions, there really aren't any in that area as a result of Irene. There are 2 lean-tos and a designated campsite at Duck Hole, and a lean-to at Moose Pond. This time of year, I bet you'll have both spots to yourself.

I'd be most concerned about your second day. That's a lot of distance to cover... 4 miles from Moose Pond to Duck Hole, 4.5 miles from Duck Hole to the start of the Seward Herd Path, 4 miles to Emmons, 4 miles back to the Truck Trail, and 4.5 miles back to Duck Hole, for a grand total of 21 miles and the summits of 5 high peaks. That might be biting off a bit more than you can chew if it's your first time in the Sewards and you don't know exactly what to expect. The herd path on the Seward Range is pretty easy to follow, but there are a few spots where it heads in counter-intuitive directions. Remember also that the days are shorter now than in summer, and you'll probably need to start hiking in the dark and will end up finishing in the dark as well to complete an itinerary like this.

I'd also be prepared for ice in the Sewards. It always forms early in the season at higher elevations on the north side of Seward, and it's predicted to get pretty chilly this week.

Northville and Sewards

Sounds good.

For the most part I think this plan is a GO. I do remember the swamp being north of wanika falls and like you said a highway after that. I just didnt know if that area was severly damaged because of Irene. I remember the swamp being somewhat tricky to follow back in 2003.

For the sewards: Thanks for the beta and consideration. I thought someone might mention the length of the day.

FWIW, I trail-ran 17 miles in 3 hours three weeks ago, and my standard time for 9 mile runs are now less than an 1.5 hrs. Spent a week climbing at altitude (12-14000+) with some long hiking days (13-15 mi) and had a training day with 23 miles of hiking with 7000ft of elevation gain total and felt pretty good about that. My hiking partner also does his share of running/hiking. So I think we will at least try for the sewards. =)

That being said, there are numerous factors that will play into our success. Adirondack footing, lack of switchbacks, and amount of blowdown will all add to the fun.

Thanks!
Justin

I'm sure you already know this but I'll just throw in my 2 cent question anyway. There are two lean-tos within a half mile or so of the start of the herd path to Seward. Any reason for choosing to return the 4.5 mi to Duck Hole? I've never camped at Duck Hole nor can I fathom the 6mph+ pace - but I'm just sayin...:confused:"

For the most part I think this plan is a GO.

If you're in that kind of shape you'll probably be ok. There is also some flooding east of Duck Hole (between the Cold River and Camp 4 lean-tos, and the Ward Brook Truck Trail does get somewhat overgrown in spots but it's very easy to follow the whole way.

I'd definitely heed the warning about ice, though- it's been spotted (along with snow) in the High Peaks already. I wouldn't attempt this without carrying microspikes.

Which trail are you taking out to Upper Works? The dam being out doesn't affect the Preston Ponds trail. Nor does it affect the Bradley Pond trail, since that trail has used a portage below the dam for quite some time now. With all the rain we've gotten this past weekend, plus what we're expected to get this week, the streams could be pretty high- the only major bridgeless crossing on the Preston Ponds trail is right at the north end of Duck Hole. The Bradley Pond trail crosses a decent sized stream several times though.

I'm sure you already know this but I'll just throw in my 2 cent question anyway. There are two lean-tos within a half mile or so of the start of the herd path to Seward. Any reason for choosing to return the 4.5 mi to Duck Hole? I've never camped at Duck Hole nor can I fathom the 6mph+ pace - but I'm just sayin...:confused:"

Well if I start before dark and assume I can maintain 6+ mph in the daks for the duration of the trip why stop at the lean-to, right? I could be back at duckhole for lunch! =)

Not quite. There are three of us. Two will try for sewards and return to the third that night at duckhole. We will have a turn around time so as to make sure we are back in camp with him by a reasonable time. I'd be really happy with a 2 mph average overall (that practically means trail running anything thats not climbing sewards or traversing them). We are dropping our sleeping gear at duckhole, except for emergency bivies and extra food.

Thanks for the heads up on the leanto!

Last edited:
If you're in that kind of shape you'll probably be ok. There is also some flooding east of Duck Hole (between the Cold River and Camp 4 lean-tos, and the Ward Brook Truck Trail does get somewhat overgrown in spots but it's very easy to follow the whole way.

I'd definitely heed the warning about ice, though- it's been spotted (along with snow) in the High Peaks already. I wouldn't attempt this without carrying microspikes.

Which trail are you taking out to Upper Works? The dam being out doesn't affect the Preston Ponds trail. Nor does it affect the Bradley Pond trail, since that trail has used a portage below the dam for quite some time now. With all the rain we've gotten this past weekend, plus what we're expected to get this week, the streams could be pretty high- the only major bridgeless crossing on the Preston Ponds trail is right at the north end of Duck Hole. The Bradley Pond trail crosses a decent sized stream several times though.

Good advice, thanks!

I wasnt too worried about ice, since I have done numerous trips to eastern high peaks later than this and found minimal ice. But thanks for the heads up. I will have my ankle gaiters/microspikes with me. If you do the math
(-3.6 degrees for every 1000 ft elevation gain in dry air), night time temps at elevation should be in the 20s.

We were going to cut over by preston ponds. I remember that crossing on the north end of duck hole being the largest and most interesting as well.

As long as I am not waist deep in 40 degree rushing water, We should be okay. We got ourselves up into the Dix wilderness SW of Boquet river and near East Dix and had to come out after a long cold december rain that raised the water levels significantly and nullified any chance of using our previous crossing. I'll have my gerber hatchet as well (warmth as an emergency, not to build a stream crossing). But not much more gear or these 21 miles will start to seem exhaustive =)

I appreciate the heads up on the conditions. Unless someone was there recently and said it was completely impassable or very difficult and time consuming, I think we'll give it a shot.

Choices where to go, what to do...

This trip did not happen out of maturity and practicality speaking.

I believe they were calling for more rain after about 4-5 days of rain to begin with. My last trip to the dacks in November was a completely drenched assault on the santanonis which we successfully completed but came off the mountain soaked to the bone in sub fourty degree weather. It was like being on mount washington in full conditions. In order to stay warm, you couldnt stop moving and had to keep eating little snacks as often as possible. Fortunately we had completely dry clothes in a dry sack waiting at our leanto.

The alternative plan was to spend the three day weekend mountain biking and playing disc golf on some of the best trails and courses in western, new york. This plan was also accompanied by dry weather, peak fall conditions, and great rochester food/beer.

Saturday: Played Disc Golf at Parma, then MTB at Tryon
Sunday: MTBed the 25 mile finger lakes trail in Letchworth Park
Monday: Played Disc Golf at Chili

To all, thanks for the information on this. I will be back to do the planned hike. And thanks also for the inquiry to follow-up.

Last edited:
Good to know disc golf is still being played - you have courses where you are? Great stuff!

Sounds like a good weekend despite not making it to the Adirondacks!

blacklab2020 said:
Favorites include: Mckeldin area of Patapsco state Park (MD), Seneca Creek State Park (MD), Codorus St. Park (PA)

I've been to Codorus many times as a kid....my dad grew up in Hanover, PA.