Capt. Scott's lost photographs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
As many of us dust off the crampons in preparation for winter, the NYT has published a slide show of thirteen found black and white photographs.

"The whereabouts of most of the photographs Robert Falcon Scott took around the 1910-13 expedition’s winter quarters on Ross Island and while on the journey toward the South Pole were long a mystery. The unpublished photos had apparently languished in a commercial archive for decades. Here are some of the images that the polar historian David M. Wilson has published in “The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott,” along with descriptions of where and when they were taken, as best Mr. Wilson could determine."

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/10/18/science/20111018-pole.html

Brian

Those are wonderful. Thanks for posting them.

That's when men were men.
Use ponies to carry supplies. When their usefulness as packanimals is over you eat them. Efficient. :)

Are you suggesting, in a modern day survival situation, folks that hike with dogs should......
Wow, I bet a thread like that could go a few pages. :D
That is up to you...

I don't hike with a dog so I will take no stand.

(Only a few pages? I'll bet someone will propose a new forum... :) )

Doug

Great images. Thanks for finding this.

That's when men were men.
Use ponies to carry supplies. When their usefulness as packanimals is over you eat them. Efficient. :)

Unfortunately for both Scott's men and the horses, the horses quickly outlasted their usefulness as pack animals as they were ill equipped for the extreme cold and the icy terrain, for the latter in much the same way as the reasons why humans wear snowshoes; in all weather the ponies lacked traction and as the polar summer sun warmed the snow, the ponies foundered hopelessly. They were, however, very good with mustard. :D

JohnL

Yes, neat pics. I think the demotivation of Scott's second place finish to Amundsen may have been part of the cause of their failure to return. A solid tragic story.

From Scott's last diary entry:

"Had we lived, I should have had a tale to tell of the hardihood, endurance, and courage of my companions which would have stirred the heart of every Englishman."