Work Weekends and Mount Washington Damage from IRENE

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmac

Reaction score
FYI here is a call for volunteer assistance from Chris Joosen, USFS Snow Ranger. Please distribute to any possibly interested parties. The following is an email that was forwarded to me:

Subject: Work Weekends and Mount Washington Damage from IRENE

All, There is a lot to discuss about the upcoming winter and the Snow Ranger Program, but I'll keep it simple and talk about the pressing need for Bridge repair and get to everything else in future emails. Irene effected numerous bridges in the Cutler River Drainage that will not allow Snowcat travel, and in one instance pedestrian load will even be a problem. The most effected is the 1st and 3rd bridge on the Tuck Trail and the worst is the bridge from Hermit Lake over to the Sherburne ski trail. The Sherburne crossing will take the most amount of work, but if not remedied it will not likely last the winter as snow load alone will probably send it into the river. The Ski trail cut off from the Hermit Lake side would be very problematic for skiers through the Winter and especially during spring skiing when water will be high and streams full. In addition to this bridge the 1st bridge on the Tuck trail near Pinkham is the other priority. Abutment work on the Pinkham side is required for safe travel to use the Snowcat, which brings rescuers up the mountain during incidents, brings out hurt mountain travelers, hauls supplies like propane to keep Hermit Lake and the Harvard cabin operational, maintains snow roads to allow quick response and timely avalanche forecasts, etc. Also the First aid cache at the bottom of Hillman's collapsed it's elevated stand during the storm so we'll need to rebuild this as well or it will slide off its base before very long.

So the dates,

Saturday the 22nd will focus on the Cache and any bridge prep/planning and is already the Friends of Tuckerman Ravine scheduled Trail day.

The main days will be Sunday 10/23 and Saturday 10/29. Please bring the appropriate clothing for early winter (Mountains are white this morning), food, water, sturdy boots, leather gloves, some blaze orange to wear, and eye protection. We will have helmets and eye protection if the work you are doing makes them necessary. We'll meet each morning at 8:00am at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center. Once at Pinkham travel to the north end of the lot to the Forest Service garage, we'll be there waiting with open arms.

Please let us know if you are coming ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected]), but of course last minute "I guess I'll go" is welcome too. I will be flying back from a work trip on Saturday the 22nd, but will see you the 23rd and 29th! Thanks so much for your support and PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES. Chris

We like building bridges...

... and I will email my lists for Cardigan Highlanders Vol Trail Crew and for AMC Cardigan Vol Trail Crew. Due to 10/29 being our big weekend at Cardigan Lodge, your only day we might help is 10/23.
Do you have Griphoist and suitable nearby mast/anchors for lifting bridges for abutment repair?
Are materials being brought in or cut nearby?
Can you say specifically what tools are needed? Is the AMC Trail Crew shop at Pinkham available to lend tools for this work?
More generally, is the AMC involved/assisting at all in this project? I think in particular of any help from the Trails Dept, and free lodging at Joe Dodge Lodge or the like. AMC trail adopters have that privilege when working on their trails. Very helpful for people from afar and an 0800h start time.
Is there bare ground transport for our tools and crew or must we lug everything?
How long are these bridges and what are the stringers made of (how much do these bridges weigh?)? What are/were the abutments made of, and to what design (log crib, drystone, concrete; wing walls or not etc)?
Just a few questions that seem relevant. Not that we need answers before we commit to attending, only that they would be helpful.
Yours ay,
Creag nan drochaid

Great time

I joined the Friends of Tuckerman ravine and USFS on Sunday to continue work on bridge & trail repair in Tuckerman Ravine. I led a group in the morning to brush what I gather is a run-out/exit from Hillman's Highway - tho don't quote me. It's a ski trail at any rate. The bucket brigade continued gathering fill for the bridge from Hermit Lake over to the Sherburne ski trail. The 3rd Tuck bridge trail bridge was fixed on Saturday. Work was also made to shore up the Tuck trail as it leaves the open area and skirts the pond. Peeling and notching logs for cribbing to shore up the trail which has become super muddy from the pond overflowing its banks. Also worked on creating a new base for one of the first aid caches by notching freshly cut spruce stringers.

This is on again for Saturday, 10/29 at 8am. Meet at the USFS barn. Contact emails below if you are planning on attending.

Went out again today and caught some real good weather up there. Progress was made on shoring up the bridge to the Sherby Ski trail with log cribbing and backfilling with gravel. I worked on a section of new turnpiking just as you re-enter the trail from the halfway house. Notched, peeled, pinned the log crib and filled turnpikes with rocks, gravel, and dirt. Glad I brought my sharp axe. Also, down low on the Gulf of Slides trail, the remains of a bridge were removed to the parking lot. I believe this one will be rebuilt next year.