Bushwhacker News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimC

Reaction score
There is a new addition to the NEng 3k Finisher list!

Carl Cressey finished the NEng 3ks on Goshen (VT) on SUN, 16 OCT.

Congratulations to Carl.

Bushwhacking is still allowed on this Forum, right?

The drive, determination, talent and experience that it takes to complete these large lists, safely, is truly inspirational.

Congratulation.

How many peaks on the NEng 3K list?

NEng 3k List

How many peaks on the NEng 3K list?

Craig

My 3k List has 451.

I believe Carl's 3k List was 453.

Most Finishers do many more, by design or otherwise. For example, there is a List of the Delisted peaks (peaks that were once on the List and then removed for lack of quals).

And then ... well, you know where this is going.

Jim

There is a new addition to the NEng 3k Finisher list!

Carl Cressey finished the NEng 3ks on Goshen (VT) on SUN, 16 OCT.

Congratulations to Carl.

Bushwhacking is still allowed on this Forum, right?

WOW!!!!! Congrats to Carl!!!! He's contributed in MANY ways to b/w's!!!! :)

ummmmm bushwhacking discussion is allowed in this forum as long as the details are sketchy and no specific information is provided ;)

Carl finished not only the "451" last weekend, but the Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine 200 highest at the same time. He must have writer's cramp from signing into so many jars and canisters! Speaking of which, the canisters you find on the trailless New Hampshire 3ks are Carl's creations.
Jim - how many 451 finishers now?

Last edited:
Becca, I dont' think anyone has ever said bushwhacking details are discouraged as a matter of policy here. There are some, like in any area of endeavor, who feel things should be kept to the very few, I don't share the view and while I don't want to speak for the other moderators, I don't think they do either. There are some who may disagree, but that will be their own personal opinions, not that of VFTT. Post away.

Personally, I spend 80% of my hiking time off trail.

There are some, like in any area of endeavor, who feel things should be kept to the very few, I don't share the view and while I don't want to speak for the other moderators, I don't think they do either.
Yeah, we should be encouraging people to whack more on PP by publishing guidebooks.

Why ? I'm just curious.

Congrats to Carl. Are those canisters still hanging well ?

why...... let me count the ways....... publicizing things "out there" tends to lead those who remove them to remove them.... :(

Plus, I purposefully don't do ANY google searching on bushwhacks any more before I set out. I want to be surprised!!!! That's the fun of the adventure. I mean, any of the NH-NEHH "trail-less" peaks I've hiked had HORRIBLE herd paths that ruin it for me. I prefer "other" b/w's for that reason. I never look up anyone's GPS track either. YMMV!!!!

Last edited:
I mean, any of the NH-NEHH "trail-less" peaks I've hiked had HORRIBLE herd paths that ruin it for me. I prefer "other" b/w's for that reason.

I hate flagging for the same reasons.

I agree about herd paths, but what about moose paths ? I personnaly enjoy them while bushwhacking. The ''Peakbagging Moose'' is my friend, he always knows the best way to the summit :)

Thanks for the congrats! It was quite an undertaking but provided me with a lot of personal, physical, mental, and spiritual growth along the way. As an added bonus, it was fun too!

This endeavor required a fair amount of sacrifice in terms of:

Time - Nearly as much time planning as executing. If had to pay by the minute for Acme Mapper and Google Earth, I'd be broke right now!

Personal Relationships - Does my family even remember what I look like? :eek:

Dollars - Thousands of dollars in gas and motel fees. I should have used a credit card that earned me points for gas and motels. I'd be able to do Round Two for free...

Auto - I put over 100k miles on my poor Avalon in three years, many of them on logging roads and worse. It's a wonder she still runs and drives. Ava's getting some pampering now though; new struts, wheel bearings, and sneakers. She's going to the spa next week for a complete detail.

Eyesight - Three lacerated corneas along the way. I found it's not enough to carry safety glasses in your pack. You actually have to wear them to be effective. :rolleyes:

Physical - I collected bruises and scares like some people collect coins or stamps. Also, glucosamine chondroitin is a permanent part of my diet. I somehow managed to avoid any broken bones, though.

Vacuum Cleaner Bags - I don't know how many pounds of spruce needles I've vacuumed up off the carpet and out of the car but it's a bunch. My vacuum cleaner emits a nice Christmassy scent every time I use it! :D

Each person that tackles one of these big lists does so for their own reasons and I had mine. Surprisingly, it never felt like a chore or burden. Sure, there were some days that I wondered what the heck I was doing in the middle of the woods, climbing to another viewless summit to find nothing but more woods. For the most part though, those days were few and far between. I couldn't wait for every weekend to come so I could get back to the woods.

I appreciate all those that joined me on various hikes; especially Van Pol who was with me on hundreds of summits. A lot of great people gave me lots of good advice along the way and without them I probably would not have been successful.

Looking ahead, I'll continue to pursue lists but will do so in moderation. I'm not really worried about running out of new peaks to climb; it's more about how far I'll have to drive to get to them!

Carl,

It's a pleasure to 'meet you' here on the board and put a face and words alongside all of the stories I've heard about you and your exploits.

Congratulations !

Alan

Right on Carl! It was a pleasure to meet you on Marc's finish, and you have become a local "legend" in at least New Hampshire thanks to the efforts you put into your....err....PVC beauties! :D You handiwork has been a sheer joy at the midpoint of all whacks, easy and difficult alike. Some may find a few dollars worth of plastic a pretty poor reward for suck energy expended, but plenty of us spruce eaters do. :cool:

Brian