Tour du Mont Blanc Trip Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next time we go in that area, we will do Chamonix to the Matterhorn or Tour of the Matterhorn.
Yvon,

If you plan on doing the Haute Route to Zermatt I would suggest that you do not start in Chamonix as you have already done the Chamonix to Champex section as part of the Tour du Mont Blanc. With the days you have saved you can do a much more interesting traverse than the standard one, check my page on Choosing a Route.

Note: Something weird has happened to the maps on that page since I last looked at them; I hope to be able to correct them soon.

Incredible trip report, RR. A friend of mine just returned to the US after living in Lyon for a year; I think I missed a great opportunity to visit! Just out of curiousity, to what city did you fly? A cursory look at a travel website indicates that it's no more expensive to fly to Zurich than it is to Vancouver.

Hmmmmm...

How far is it to Chamonix from Paris?? My brother and his family live in Paris, and if I ever make it to Paris to visit this will definitely be on my to do list!! Maybe not the whole trek, although I wish, but at least a trip to Chamonix and some sort of hiking.

i wish

Summer flight prices are much higher.

Incredible trip report, RR. A friend of mine just returned to the US after living in Lyon for a year; I think I missed a great opportunity to visit! Just out of curiousity, to what city did you fly? A cursory look at a travel website indicates that it's no more expensive to fly to Zurich than it is to Vancouver.

Hmmmmm...

Hmmmmm...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We flew into Geneva and then made reservations with Mountain Drop-Offs to pick us up at the Airport and drive us to Chamonix. It's about an hour drive from Geneva to Chamonix.

Thank you for the very nice slide show. :) Quels beaux souvenirs!

Your trip remind me our trip 2 years ago. We went almost the same places and we stopped at several of the hut you stop. Annie and I love that Tour du Mont Blanc. Next time we go in that area, we will do Chamonix to the Matterhorn or Tour of the Matterhorn.

I would like to publicly thank Yvon for his help. I contacted him via PM for his advice. He has a great site regarding the TMB. Thankfully I can 'sort of' read French.

How far is it to Chamonix from Paris?? My brother and his family live in Paris, and if I ever make it to Paris to visit this will definitely be on my to do list!! Maybe not the whole trek, although I wish, but at least a trip to Chamonix and some sort of hiking.

You should definetely add this on your to do list! After the trek, a few of us actually took a train from Chamonix to Paris. We spent four nights in Paris and absolutely loved it. By train it took us about 8 hours to arrive in Paris and that included using high speed rail from Lyon to Paris. The cost was quite reasonable ~ I think around $80 Euro. You could spend time in Chamonix and use the cable cars to get up high and then hike from there. It's well worth spending the a couple nights at the Refuge du Lac Blanc and explore the area.