Save the Date: Dec 1 - Wind River Range & Gannet Peak - Slideshow and Potluck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailhoover

Reaction score
Thursday, Dec 1, 2011
6:30 Potluck, 7:15 pm Slideshow
AMC Auditorium, 4 Joy St, Boston MA

The Wind River Range is a remote mountain range running along the crest of the Continental Divide in western Wyoming . This climbers' and backpackers' paradise contains dozens of summits over 13,000 feet, many of the largest glaciers in the Rockies, and hundreds of shimmering alpine lakes nestling amid boulder strewn meadows. 13,800 foot high Gannett Peak, the highest summit in the Winds, is also the high-point of the state of Wyoming and is the remotest state high-point in the United States. This summer, Gokul Gopal spent a week in the Winds, with the primary objective of climbing Gannett Peak, but also hoping to experience more of what the Winds have to offer: spectacular backpacking and rock climbing opportunities far from tourist throngs. In this hour-long slideshow, Gokul will share some of his pictures and memories from this trip, along with some useful background information about the Wind River Range. All AMC Boston Chapter slideshows take place at the AMC Auditorium, 4 Joy St, Boston, MA. Doors open @ 6:15pm, potluck @ 6:30pm, slideshow @ 7:15pm. If you plan to attend, please RSVP to Julie at: [email protected]

Click here for directions, more info and photos at our website:http://tinyurl.com/dec1potluck

For those who wish to participate in the potluck at 6:30pm, feel free to use the following guidelines: Last names beginning with K-Z bring a main dish, A-J bring an appetizer or side dish. Homemade dishes are welcome, store bought goodies & takeout are equally welcome:) Plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins and drink pitchers will be supplied. The auditorium has a kitchen if you need to do any re-warming or prep (w/stovetop, oven, microwave, sink & fridge). Please bring your own cooking pots if needed for stovetop.

Subway Directions: Take the Red Line MBTA to Park Street Station. Walk through the Boston Common uphill towards the State House & Beacon St. Continue walking uphill on Joy St, which runs along the left side of the State House at the set of lights. The Auditorium is #4 Joy St (just before the AMC Headquarters Building, on the left side). Map: http://tinyurl.com/2ecg289

In the event of a schedule change or cancellation, an email will be sent out to those who RSVP.

Nice, looks like a nice slideshow..

However, Gannett Peak is the most remotest state high peak in the lower 48.. I think Mt McKinley is more remote as most climbers fly into Kahiltna Glacier to climb it.

Jay

I will have to say that after doing Gannet and Denali I felt that Gannet was harder and more remote. You are rarely alone on Denali and most days there is a beaten path to follow. The pack and sled weights were challenging but not hard. The climb was nothing more than a hike with a ton of weight and several days of acclimating. It was one of the coolest trips of my life but it also felt like Disney land and it was not hard like I expected it to be. I did the west buttress route and wish I did west rib. It was the best 19 days of my life for very personal reasons as I learned who I was and who I wanted to be.
Gannet Peak was a place where I saw one person the whole time. Route finding was challenging, you were dodging rock fall once the sun came out, there was rock and ice climbing (low grade) and you saw no signs of life when you got over Bonney Pass. Titcomb basin is incredible too.
With that being said I thought Gannet was more remote due to fewer crowds and the need to do your own navigation. Denali was a party, a very fun one! :)

Thu, Dec 1 - Slideshow and Potluck: Climbing & Backpacking in the Wind River Range

Slideshow and Potluck: Climbing Gannet Peak in the Wind Range

Thursday, Dec 1, 2011
6:30 Potluck, 7:15 pm Slideshow
AMC Cabot Auditorium, 4 Joy St, Boston MA

The Wind River Range is a remote mountain range running along the
crest of the Continental Divide in western Wyoming. This climbers' and
backpackers' paradise contains dozens of summits over 13,000 feet,
many of the largest glaciers in the Rockies, and hundreds of
shimmering alpine lakes nestling amid boulder strewn meadows.

13,800 foot high Gannett Peak, the highest summit in the Winds, is
also the high-point of the state of Wyoming and is the most remot
state high-point in the United States. This summer, Gokul Gopal spent
a week in the Winds, with the primary objective of climbing Gannett
Peak, but also hoping to experience more of what the Winds have to
offer: spectacular backpacking and rock climbing opportunities far
from tourist throngs. In this hour-long slideshow, Gokul will share
some of his pictures and memories from this trip, along with some
useful background information about the Wind River Range.

See our website for photos:
http://tinyurl.com/dec1potluck

If you plan to attend, please RSVP to Julie at:
[email protected]

Potluck Info:
For those who wish to participate in the potluck at 6:30pm, feel free
to use the following guidelines: Last names beginning with K-Z bring a
main dish, A-J bring an appetizer or side dish. Homemade dishes are
welcome, store bought goodies & takeout are equally welcome:) Plates,
bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins and drink pitchers will be supplied. The
auditorium has a kitchen if you need to do any re-warming or prep (w/
stovetop, oven, microwave, sink & fridge). Please bring your own
cooking pot (if needed) for stovetop reheating.

Subway Directions:
Take the MBTA to Park Street Station. Walk through the Boston Common
uphill towards the State House & Beacon St. To the left of the State
House is Joy St; follow Joy St uphill to #4 Joy St, the AMC Cabot
Auditorium Building (brownstone) on the left hand side of the street.
Map: http://tinyurl.com/4JoyStMap

Join our Google Group Email list!
Receive monthly reminders & updates about our upcoming slideshows:
http://groups.google.com/group/amcbostonslideshows

In the event of a schedule change or cancellation, an email will be
sent out to those who have joined the AMC Boston Slideshow Series
Google Group.

Brought to you by the AMC Boston Chapter Slideshow Series, a Hiking/Backpacking Committee program.

View our slideshow schedule at:
http://www.hbbostonamc.org/slideshowseries