energy sheets

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
How about those energy sheets that Labron james is advertizing on TV.
Sounds like something I would purchase. Injesting things like this gets to the muscles faster. Anyone see any problems with these?

3/4 of the way up is where I would probably use it. I would not use any product like this until I was running on empty. When I used to bike, and I felt my legs getting tired, a soda would always pick me up. so I started carrying packettes of sugar in case of emergency. I still carry packetes of sugar in my pack just in case I need a final boost to get me home. Luckily I havent ever needed to use these packs but at least I know they are there.I think I will get a box of these and throw a couple in my pack just "in case". They also make vitamin sheets like this. Thanks for the input.

3/4 of the way up is where I would probably use it. I would not use any product like this until I was running on empty. When I used to bike, and I felt my legs getting tired, a soda would always pick me up. so I started carrying packettes of sugar in case of emergency. I still carry packetes of sugar in my pack just in case I need a final boost to get me home. Luckily I havent ever needed to use these packs but at least I know they are there.I think I will get a box of these and throw a couple in my pack just "in case". They also make vitamin sheets like this. Thanks for the input.
You don't need to eat sugar packets, just eat a good breakfast, like oatmeal, and then snack every hour or so on your way up.

As Mr. Metsky is fond of saying, 'Everything in moderation'. :D

Everything has its place. Caffeine is certainly not the worst thing you can put in your body when you need the boost. This subject has come up on this board before - the latest research suggests that caffeine has a positive effect on performance in endurance sports without diuresis or other "harmful changes in fluid balance that would negatively affect performance" (from here). That link is a PubMed abstract, but you can get the full paper from the linked site - worth a read, if you're interested. For example, The paper (and references within) suggest that caffeine plays a role in "enhancing lipolysis and decreasing reliance on glycogen utilization" - you burn fat more effectively and rely less on glycogen for energy after consuming caffeine. So you don't use up all of your glycogen at the beginning of your activity. So actually, this outcome:
ColdRiverRun said:
I think the problem would be that for about 3/4 the way up you'd be fine..then you would fall apart in the final quarter to the summit.
is not supported by the lit.

Lots of other useful stuff, but I won't bore you all with the details.

I don't think there is any substitute for proper nutrition. But as a 2 a.m. pick-me-up during a Rainier bid or during Reach the Beach, sure, why not.

And you're right, calling them "energy strips" is misleading since they don't actually contain very much energy, but if they help mobilize other sources of energy, perhaps it's not quite so much of a misnomer.

Neil gave me this idea a few years and I didn't like it until I tried it, chocolate covered coffee beans. Late in the day it works for me. I used to carry a classic coke but these are small and do the job real well. :) I may try caffeine pills some day.

Being a cyclist, I've used all sorts of legal energy products.

One that I found worked for my hiking was GU packets. I keep a few for the hike and a few more stashed for emergency.

I like to take a final dose right before the drive home to sharpen up a tired brain.