Reno, NV and hiking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Going to Reno in 2 weeks for some kind of conference and flying into Reno on the 11th to spend two days in and around Reno, NV. What are great peaks to hike in and around the area. How far is Lake Tahoe from Reno and other things to do (besides gambling which I am not terribly interested in)... I've been to the SierraTradingPost there already :)

Jay

Reno is great! Easy to get around, clean little city.

1 hour or less to Tahoe. Do NOT miss seeing Lake Tahoe. Ski areas wil be gearing up, but there may still be some hiking opportunites at the numerous resorts; some may still be running scenic lift rides that will get you into the Alpine.

3 or so hours south on 395 to the Eastern entrance to Yosemite, Mono Lake, Mount Dana, etc. Mount Dana is a really short hike, and probably has snow and ice already, but you might be able to grab this 13000' peak in a day trip from Reno if you hammer.

Have fun!

Yeah, I did some cursory google searches, it looks like some of the higher peaks already have snow, I checked out Castle Peak (towards Lake Tahoe), not really trying to bring snowshoes or the like. I guess i could probably rent them but rather not rely on not-my gear cause I'll probably be alone. I found a site with a lot of short dayhikes in and around Reno but saturday, i should be free to venture out to Lake Tahoe or wherever, it doesn't look far... There seems to be some nice canyons to go explore as well, I don't need to climb a peak or anything, just something fun.

Jay

There is plenty to explore around Tahoe and up to Donner Pass. As soon as you get to Reno just a get a local guidebook for the area. Im not a expert in that area myself, Id be heading to Lee Vining and Yosemite, ie. Mt Dana, Mt Conness and peaks around Toulome meadows.

If you get a chance the Bucket of Blood Saloon in Virginia City is fun, especially if there's live music.

Great Basin National Park is my favorite destination in that general area. Mt. Whittier is a good hike and there is a Bristlecone grove with trees a few thousand years old just a couple miles hike in. However, this is a destination that cannot be done from Reno in a day ... it is a long lonely trip across the entire state on US-50.

Closer by there is a loop around Lake Tahoe, in the hills, not on the lakefront, on which you could pick a couple interesting and scenic sections. I haven't hiked enough of it to give a specific recommendation but I've seen enough to be teased to come back.

Google "Tahoe Rim Trail" for more on this loop. I haven't been on it, but it looks pretty spectacular.

Ummm:

Reno's ice cream:

Visit Us In the Pike Creek Shopping Center!
4748A Limestone Rd, Wilmington, DE 19808

Wrong coast! :)

Jay

Google "Tahoe Rim Trail" for more on this loop. I haven't been on it, but it looks pretty spectacular.

Bingo, sounds fun, I just booked a hotel in Tahoe Vista, right on the north shore that got good reviews and was fairly cheap.. $79/night, free breakfast, wifi, parking... I plan to check out the trail, mt rose, etc around the area, looks like fun..

Thanks,

Jay

If you're willing to drive around to the southwest side of the lake, the Desolation Wilderness is one of my favorite hiking areas... but it may be too snowy for you. Perhaps the Tahoe Rim Trail would be better.

On second thought, you may need snowshoes anywhere. Here's a paragraph from the NWS discussion for the upcoming weekend in the Tahoe area:

BY SAT...IT LOOKS TO BE A BIT OF A BREAK BEFORE NEXT SYSTEM DROPS SE
FROM THE GULF OF AK. STILL...DUE TO TIMING ISSUES...HAVE LEFT A CHC
OF RAIN/SNOW SINCE ENSEMBLES SHOW THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS SYSTEM
AFFECTING THE AREA BY SAT AFTERNOON. SAT NIGHT AND SUN...BEST CHC OF
SYSTEM AFFECTING THE REGION AND THIS ONE COULD BE THE STRONGEST SO
FAR WITH SNOW AMOUNTS OF OVER ONE FOOT POSSIBLE IN THE SIERRA. THAT
SAID...IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE MORE THAN A `ROUTINE` WINTER STORM IF
IT WERE TO OCCUR IN DEC/JAN/FEB. SNOW LEVELS WOULD START NEAR 5-6000
FEET THEN FALL TO ALL VALLEY FLOORS BEHIND THE COLD FRONT.

Maybe Saturday would give your best shot at a snow-free hike, but I think they have already seen a snowfall or two. Enjoy, in any case... this time of year you may have the place to yourself!

This is the store I would check out for rentals and ask for advise on what would meet your needs:

http://www.thebackcountry.net/

At the bottom of the page is a forums link which will be good info on conditions.

It will be winter like up in the Sierras.

If you're willing to drive around to the southwest side of the lake, the Desolation Wilderness is one of my favorite hiking areas... but it may be too snowy for you. Perhaps the Tahoe Rim Trail would be better.

On second thought, you may need snowshoes anywhere. Here's a paragraph from the NWS discussion for the upcoming weekend in the Tahoe area:

BY SAT...IT LOOKS TO BE A BIT OF A BREAK BEFORE NEXT SYSTEM DROPS SE
FROM THE GULF OF AK. STILL...DUE TO TIMING ISSUES...HAVE LEFT A CHC
OF RAIN/SNOW SINCE ENSEMBLES SHOW THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS SYSTEM
AFFECTING THE AREA BY SAT AFTERNOON. SAT NIGHT AND SUN...BEST CHC OF
SYSTEM AFFECTING THE REGION AND THIS ONE COULD BE THE STRONGEST SO
FAR WITH SNOW AMOUNTS OF OVER ONE FOOT POSSIBLE IN THE SIERRA. THAT
SAID...IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE MORE THAN A `ROUTINE` WINTER STORM IF
IT WERE TO OCCUR IN DEC/JAN/FEB. SNOW LEVELS WOULD START NEAR 5-6000
FEET THEN FALL TO ALL VALLEY FLOORS BEHIND THE COLD FRONT.

Maybe Saturday would give your best shot at a snow-free hike, but I think they have already seen a snowfall or two. Enjoy, in any case... this time of year you may have the place to yourself!

I think you also need a pass for the desolation wilderness, even for a dayhike.

Found a place that rents snowshoes, I don't think my Northern Lights will fit.. unless I wear them on the plane. Do you think TSA would mind? :)

jay

Mount Rose

Jay,
Here's a link to a real gem of a hike to Mount Rose, not far at all from Reno.
We did this hike with relatives a few years ago. It's an easy hike, compared to the 4000 footers in the White Mountains, with views that will take your breath away. We took the #2 route.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-rose-nevada/150662

We've also hiked around Lake Tahoe and made an attempt at Mt. Tallac. We reached the point where you start to gain elevation and had to turn back since we didn't have snowshoes with us.

Donna :)

ps-Check out Virginia City, it's a lot of fun too.

I think you also need a pass for the desolation wilderness, even for a dayhike.

It's been a few years since I've been there but at the time you only needed one for camping.

Found a place that rents snowshoes, I don't think my Northern Lights will fit.. unless I wear them on the plane. Do you think TSA would mind? :)

jay

That would be a fantastic test! "But sir, I'm really afraid of slipping and falling and these are my everyday footwear. And the cleats are already dull because I wear them on mixed terrain." Clomp clomp clomp....

Besides, snowshoes aren't on the prohibited list. Then again, neither are crampons. Yeah, yeah, I know it "isn't all inclusive" but would almost be worth it just to see the reaction. Heck, here at DIA people carry ski boots onto planes all the time!

Thanks for all the advice, I wound up climbing Mt Rose today from 431, started at 7:30am, only car in the lot and broke tracks to the summit. Had the summit to myself for almost an hour until the first small group of locals showed up. Then I whacked over to church peak which is like 10,6XXft and literally a hop skip across from Mt Rose before heading back down. Never needed snowshoes but there was 3-4" of snow in spots and taller drifts. Basically barebooted it today. I hiked Martis firetower on saturday from the TRT from Rt 267 which was also nice but sat was a little overcast with threatening flurries/showers...

I have pictures but I forgot my data cable and my work laptop doesn't have a card reader..

Jay

Couldn't, since the microspikes were checked in with my baggage!

I'm not pushing either!

Jay