Oldies Picture, AMC Camp, Six Husbands Trail...Pretty Cool

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My Dad shops in antique stores a lot and knows I love hiking. He picked up this cool picture of a guy on the Six Husbands Trail, near an old AMC Camp. It says Circa 1920's on the back of it. It doesn't seem like an original, probably a reprint, but very cool nonetheless. I thought some on VFTT may like to take a look at it, so here it is. If anyone else has any information on it (time period, the camp, the trail during this time), I would love to hear about it. Also, take notice of his clothes. Leather knapsack, leather gloves, a tie...pretty cool stuff!

Enjoy!
Karl

Six+Husbands+Trail+Image.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool old photo. I like the precision used on the sign: 1 7/8 miles to the Guldside, 2 1/4 miles to Jefferson. I wonder when they switched to decimal.

Must have been a little chilly that day: collar is up, thin gloves on his hands. Are those buttons on the front of his shirt?

Are those buttons on the front of his shirt?

No, I think he's wearing a thin necktie. I think the three lighter sections are just a design on the tie.

Karl

Warren Hart

Thanks for sharing! Waterman's Forest & Crag (p293) states Six Husbands Trail was was built by Warren Hart's trail crews in 1909 the same summer they built the Adams Slide Trail (now abandoned). Trail builder Warren Hart was known for his audacious routes as contrasted with Raynor Edmands who was building trails around the same era, but was known for his more mild-mannered trails. In June 1908 Hart and 2 friends descended Jeffersons Knee for the first time and were enthralled with the views. They immediately began planning trails into the region. The same year his volunteer trail crews also built the Buttress Trail in Great Gulf. During following summer crews built the Wamsutta Trail. "Breath-taking pace"... "Trail building Spree" are words Waterman uses to descibe this project. The AMC camp is most likely the old AMC Great Gulf Shelter located near start of the Six Husbands Trail.

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I noticed the gloves right away. The overall style and hat say 1920's-40's to me, but I'm better at picking out dates for vintage women's clothes than men's clothes due to other hobbies.