Battery Charger - It's Hiking Related

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I've been able to generally standardize on size AA batteries; camera, headlights, etc. My current battery charger has some problems and is reaching the end of its useful life.

Now, I'm looking at purchasing a new battery charger.

A unit I'm interested in is a Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer.

Does anybody have experience with this model or other Maha units? It looks like this does much more than simply putting a charge into dead batteries.

I'd appreciate any information. Good or bad war stories would be helpful.

Thanks.

:)

Now, I'm looking at purchasing a new battery charger.

A unit I'm interested in is a Maha MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer.

Does anybody have experience with this model or other Maha units? It looks like this does much more than simply putting a charge into dead batteries.

I'd appreciate any information. Good or bad war stories would be helpful.
I have a similar charger from another manufacturer. It can measure the capacity of a cell (charge, then discharge while measuring the capacity) or discharge/charge cycle the cell as well as just charge it. Most of the time, just charging the cell is all one wants to do. However, once or twice a year, I measure my cells capacity to check their health and to see if it is time to retire any of them.

A friend has one, but I haven't borrowed it to check it out. It seems to have a good reputation.

I have several other Maha chargers--all work well.

Doug

I have a similar charger from another manufacturer. It can measure the capacity of a cell (charge, then discharge while measuring the capacity) or discharge/charge cycle the cell as well as just charge it. Most of the time, just charging the cell is all one wants to do. However, once or twice a year, I measure my cells capacity to check their health and to see if it is time to retire any of them.

A friend has one, but I haven't borrowed it to check it out. It seems to have a good reputation.

I have several other Maha chargers--all work well.

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I have been reading up on the unit and it seems that each charging position can be configured independent of the others. This suggests cells of different capacity ratings can be charged at the same time. If this can be done then perhaps it’s possible to mix normal cells with LSD cells.

The ability to rehabilitate cells or to identify cells that have reached the end of their useful life are also a couple interesting features.

I didn’t realize there was such an affordable and capable unit available. At this point I’m planning to move my old standby Duracell charger into standby as soon as I can.

Which similar charger do you use?

Thanks Doug.

I have been reading up on the unit and it seems that each charging position can be configured independent of the others. This suggests cells of different capacity ratings can be charged at the same time. If this can be done then perhaps it’s possible to mix normal cells with LSD cells.
This charger has 4 independent charging circuits. (I recommend against any charger that doesn't have independent charging circuits.) You set the charging current and the charger determines when to terminate the charge individually so mismatched or differing cells are not a problem. While I can set the charging currents individually, I have never needed to do so.

The ability to rehabilitate cells or to identify cells that have reached the end of their useful life are also a couple interesting features.
The testing feature also rehabilitates. I run the tests 2 or more times in succession until the capacity stabilizes. If the capacity is low or there is difficulty charging, I consider retiring the cells in question. I do this twice a year or so. (It is worth measuring and recording the capacity of the cells when new. This both forms the cell and gives you an idea of the full capacity of the cells. It can also locate defective cells...)

I didn’t realize there was such an affordable and capable unit available. At this point I’m planning to move my old standby Duracell charger into standby as soon as I can.
Good chargers at reasonable prices have been around for a while now.

Which similar charger do you use?
I have 3 La Crosse BC-900* for capacity testing and a Maha MH-C401FS for charging only. Most of the time I use the MH-C401FS to charge small groups of cells.

* There have been some reports of BC-900s overheating. I've never had any problems, but for this reason I recommend the similar MH-C9000.

I have several other Maha chargers, but if you are looking for a new one, I recommend the MH-C9000 and the MH-C401FS.

You can get 12V cords for most chargers so you can use them in the car.

http://thomas-distributing.com is a good source for NiMH batteries (recommend Eneloop slow discharge) and chargers. (Usual caveat: I'm only a customer.)

Other threads worth reading:
What's the Best Battery Charger? http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34896
NIMH rechargeable battery question http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35919

Doug