Duck Hole Dam

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saratogan Filly

Reaction score
Duck Hole Dam (Adirondacks)

I posted a thread on this on another forum and just thought that the more exporsure the better:

My father has been to Duck Hole many times through different ways over the last few years and absolutely loves making it a regular haunt. I finally made my first trek there this Labor Day weekend via Henderson Lake, canoeing and portaging.

Through his interest, I've followed the OSI purchase of the Henderson/Tahawus Tract and the story surrounding. He has talked several times with various park rangers and Adirondack enthusiasts about the condition of the dam at Duck Hole, as did I on this trip when we encountered a ranger on the Henderson portage. The consenus seems to be that the State has no plans of repairing or replacing the dam in its weakening condition, due to the Forever Wild Legislation. If/when this dam goes, it will leave the surrounding area-which is now a breath-taking lake & trail heads leading to many focal destinations- a barren swamp.

Having seen his mesmeration for the location, and now having seen it myself, fully understanding why he has been so captured by it, it blows my mind that the dam would be allowed to go. It seems illogical with the effort that the OSI put into this transaction, and now with the marketing of the Henderson avenue to the location for hiking, canoeing, skiing, etc. that something so fundamental to this end would be allowed to go.

Does anyone have any information on the dam restoration/preservation or who would be the contacts to be a squeaky wheel to to make this happen?

Thank you for your comments and input!

Last edited:
I used to have Kris Alberga's email address but can't locate it. He's the DEC Ranger in charge up in the High Peaks area. Give the DEC office in Ray Brook a call and ask for him and his email address. He is really knowledgeable and if anyone would know, Kris will.
Can you let the Board know so we might assist with the tourniquet?

Thanks

I agree strongly that the Dam should not be allowed to fail. I also frequent Duck Hole.

I think it's unfortunate that the bridge was already allowed to fail. It was very authentic and scenic, reminiscent of times when we knew how to manage wilderness, rather than simply destroy anything manmade.

I read of the bridge being gone on the ADK forum and was pretty surprised about it. That was my absolute favorite place to be in the early/mid 90's.
If that dam goes, will be a marsh and mosquito haven?. Heck I was dismayed when they burned the Ranger Station at Shattucks Clearing.

I recently read another discussion wherein a structure not having been destroyed yet was being used as an excuse not to protect the surrounding land. The land can be protected, regardless of one structure. Holding the protection of an enormous parcel of land hostage, to force the destruction of a relatively tiny artifact, is simply blackmail.

This was the EXACT same argument that the ADK was taking on the Mt Adams tower until some folks here started applying pressure on the club. ADK Executive Director, Neil Woodworth stepped up to the plate and the Mt Adams tower was granted an exception to the plan. I would suspect that the same would be needed here.

Lest you think there is something bad afoot with preservationist viewpoint:
They see any exception chinks in the armor of the Wildness portion of the NYS forever wild as precedents for snowmobiles, ATVs, mountain bikes, etc to futher weaken it. They believe in and have done a great job protecting our wilderness, but sometimes need to leaven their views with some realpolitik.

Thanks Folks

Hi one and all,
We're thinking the only way this problem is going to get fixed is if we all pull together and apply pressure. Here's the link to the thread on the adkforum.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1434

If you could check out the links, and send an email to Commissioner Erin Crotty, and Senator Elizabeth O’C. Little, it would go a long way to keep Duck Hole from disappearing.

Let's make some noise! :p

Thanks!
-Gary-

Peakbagr,

Interestingly, Pete Fish just propounded the same argument ("one exception prevnets the protection of the entire parcel") to advocate the destruction of the Hurricane Fire Tower, in a letter in the recent ADK Mag.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Pete, but I have to disagree here. I enjoy seeing the tower on the skyline of Hurricane, and I enjoy seeing it up close when I'm up there. I don't think it takes anything away from the Wilderness (uh, Primitive Area). It would be a real shame to destroy something like that, just to keep a bunch of lawyers from using it as a precedent. Next, we'll be tearing down the trail markers and signs (it's been proposed...).

My opinion has been that there's plenty of wilderness, or solitude, or whatever it is that the latest person is complaining about, waiting 100 feet off the trail.

I agree. Let's apply some pressure to save Duck Hole!

TCD

Text of email I sent to the Commissioner:

"Dear Commissioner Crotty,

I have read in some web forums recently that there is discussion of letting the Dam which impounds Duck Hole deteriorate, and not replacing it, in the interest of a strict definition of "Wilderness."

Duck Hole, as I'm sure you know, is a scenic and popular pond along the Northville Placid trail, about ten miles South of Lake Placid. The Northville Placid trail and its surrounding network of wilderness trails is a landmark attraction of New York's jewel, the Adirondack Park. This destination, along with others, attracts many visitors from out of State, and is part of what sets our unique wilderness apart from many others in the Northeast.

I have visited Duck Hole often, reaching it by the 7 mile hike from the nearest trailhead. I thought it was unfortunate when the bridge at Duck Hole was destroyed, turning what once was a scenic historical artifact into a hollow shell. If the Dam is allowed to be destroyed also, the result will be very unattractive. A once scenic pond will be turned into a stinking, mosquito ridden mud flat. Needless to say, this would not be a welcoming site for our State's visitors.

I understand that one factor in this decision is the "purist" approach to wilderness. Another factor is the fear that the presence of any manmade artifact, no matter how rustic, can be used by devious lawyers and courts to erode the protection of the wilderness. The first argument is specious at best, and probably elitist. There is ample wilderness between the trails. Trying to force "wilderness" at a scenic and popular destination is absurd. The second argument is more problematic, given the unfortunate litigious nature of our society. However, I maintain that there must be alternate ways defend the land against damage, without resorting to destroying much of what makes it attractive in the first place.

Please consider this, and other opinions which I'm sure you will receive on the subject, in any decision regarding the fate of the Duck Hole Dam. Thank you.

Tom DuBois"

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the cost is to the DEC to maintain the dam? Or what it would cost to maintain the status quo at Duck Hole? The high peaks area is in real need of additional funding for trail maintenance, I'm not sure where I would want to see funds go, more Rangers to enforce the upcoming bear can rule (though in high use areas current coverage appears to be good) or to improving the current trails. If maintaining a dam at Duck Hole means building a new one that's pricey.

I looked into the accessibility of paddling to Duck Hole last summer up Cold River. The impression from the guide book was that low water and blowdown made it an impossible trip. Has anyone looked at how the lack of the dam would change Cold River in this regard?

A quick search of the High Peaks management plan does slate the Duck hole dam for a study to determine de-watering it or improving it's current condition. The report also mentions the choice to de-water Flowed Lands. That happened before my time in the High Peaks, can anyone chime in as to how Flowed Lands changed after the dam was de-watered?

I'm very curious if the recommended study was ever done and what effect restoring wetlands would have on wildlife in the area.

Thank you everyone for the comments, interest and contacts! I'll be sending some letters and will keep you all posted on responses and such.

One thing that comes to mind is the Mt. Marcy dam replacement:

http://alavigne.homeip.net/newHomePage/Outdoors/FeatureReports/Adirondacks/MarcyDam/index.jsp

I would think that this would be of similar circumstances, it falls under "forever wild", if it were allowed to go without being replaced would have similar consequenses to what we're discussing with Duck Hole and is just as traffic heavy. Why one and not the other?

I got the same letter. Apparently, it's a form letter.

I realize I'm chiming in rather late on this subject, but to maybe reinforce or echo what some others have said -- when the Duck Hole dam eventually is breached is that necessarily a bad thing ?

No dam at Duck Hole would result in the following:
Higher water level in the Cold River -- could I canoe up the Cold River further than I can today ? Possibly. In my mind that's a good thing.

Return the water flow in the Adk drainage to it's natural state(pre-dam). Nationwide there is a movement to remove dams from many reservoirs/rivers -- I can't say how the creation of the Duck Hole dam affected native species, but there could be benefits to returning to it's natural setting.

Will changing the appearance of Duck Hole to something maybe similar to Flowed Lands be a bad thing ? I have stayed at the Flowed Lands lean-to many times looking out over Flowed Lands with Mt Colden in the background and have a hard time thinking of a more beautiful setting.

I've been to Duck Hole many times and find it a wonderful place, when the dam is breached and there's a lower water level, that won't change for me.

Mother nature does nice work.

While I would like to see the dam preserved I think it is counterproductive to argue that Nature cannot reclaim and make the area beautiful again. Any arguments that are weak, or subjective (e.g. Swamps are ugly) are a step back after two steps foreword.

Mike

rondak46 said:
While I would like to see the dam preserved I think it is counterproductive to argue that Nature cannot reclaim and make the area beautiful again. Any arguments that are weak, or subjective (e.g. Swamps are ugly) are a step back after two steps foreword.

I pretty much agree with that. It seems to me that one of the better arguments for preserving the Duck Hole dam (and its bridge) is that the structure is a real, authentic part of the Adirondack Region's history. It has, in truth, become a part of the "natural" scene and scheme in that particular spot. Such things are worth preserving, not willy-nilly but on a selective basis, and this is a prime candidate for such selective treatment.

G.

I've only camped there in the winter, but its a great spot. I can only imagine how nice it must be there in the fall.
Yes, letting nature reclaim itself is usually a good idea. There are special spots, though, where a combination of history and man's hand have created something unique.
A breached dam still leaves it a nice spot. But then it wouldn't it look like so many other places similar to it in the Adirondacks? Boggy, like some of the beaver-dammed flows that come and go with the breaching of beaverdams?
The loons would surely disappear as would their haunting sounds. So would the reflection of the peaks or autumn leaves in the the pond.

Like the tower on Mt Adams, Duck Hole is unique for its natural history and beauty. And also like Mt Adams, just a few voices publicizing the issue can turn things around and save it.
Just my thoughts.

PB

Last edited: