Stanton, Pickering and Cave Mountain: Things to look for!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find some time this weekend to head up north to hike up Mount Stanton and Mount Pickering. If I have time, I'll swing over to Cave Mountain as well.

I'm wondering if there are any cool landmarks to look for on these hikes, as I'm not familiar with these particular mountains? Are there any USGS or NGS Benchmarks to keep an eye out for? Are there any ledges or views just off the trail that I should try to explore?

I'm asking because I always seem to see stuff I miss on other trip reports after the fact. For instance...I've missed Benchmarks on Osceola, Moosilauke, Chocorua, Cardigan...and the list goes on!!!

Looking for some helpful information if you have any. Thanks!

Karl

Cave mtn has overhang under it thats pretty cool, you could stay dry under thier on the worst of days. There is a rock climb that goes right under the overhang that I spent a whole weekend once trying to free climb to no avail.

I like the PUDS (pointless ups and downs) of the Crippies. The views on either side of the ridge, especially at this time of year are nice. In early May there are many Trailing Arbutus (mayflower).

The trip from Covered Bridge Lane side to Pickering and the "Crippies" may take longer than expected..lots of ledge and a few steep spots..plus spending a lot of time looking at views (Iron Mt really nice!!)..Cave Mt. side had some logging done recently but maybe past it?? Can't remember but did it earlier this year..we divided this trip into sections: did Pickering from CBL early and then to Pickering from Langdon/Stanton later over Crippies..Parker also a very nice hike and view..enjoy! Lefty E

I'll swing over to Cave Mountain as well.

Hey Karl, just a heads up...

The terrain around Cave Mountain has been heavily logged and the trail obscured. When Rob and I were in the area last month we encountered a red liner who could not find the trail for the life of him!

If you do venture up there, please be sure to post some pictures of what you find. We weren't looking for the trail to Cave Mountain at the time, but the information may be of interest to red liners who read the forums.

Thanks for the help everyone! I did end up hitting Stanton and Pickering and headed down to the beginning of the Crippies, but did not traverse. The terrain was really tough through the hardwood as the leaves made the trail difficult to make out, and made the descents on the steep section very tricky and slow. Great views of Iron Mountain, as people said.

I never made it over to Cave Mountain, so wasn't able to take photos of the logging mess. I was pretty much the only person on the ridge, which was nice, except for one hunter, that went in on the trail at the same time I did. Definitely good to keep your orange with you around this time of year!

Thanks again everyone. I should have a trip report out this week!

Karl