More Dog Stuff

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golden retriever story

golden retriever op-ed

another op-ed

Letters and another op-ed

No one seems to be considering the implications of this NH Fish & Game hunting "advice" concerning state land on Joe English reservation (whether or not it is state-owned):

13. Are there any special recreation precautions or hunter safety regulations on state-owned forest lands?
Hunting is not appropriate near hiking trails, campgrounds, and other developed recreation facilities. Hunters are advised not to discharge firearms within 150 feet of trails or within 300 feet of any developed recreation area. For example, much of Monadnock State Park is inappropriate for hunting because of the preponderance of recreation trails in the park.

Last edited:
This is so sad. It breaks you heart!
I am very afraid to go into the woods at this time of year.
The decision is made! Perhaps it's overkill but I'm not going on any hiking or wooded trials at Stowe on my first "04" camping trip next week. The Catamount is OUT! I am car camping at Goldbrook, will be there only two nights, and will walk on the bike path. It's just not worth it.
My Akita weighs 100lbs and is fawn colored. I cannot imagine losing her to a bullet. She will be wearing her safety vest at all times.
This could have easily been someone's child.

OK, now I started this and was just looking for information. I am in no way saying that you are guaranteed to be shot at during the fall. I am not bashing hunters, this situation, or anything else.

However, knowing the area I do know that there is hunting there. I believe it's safe to say that unless it's marked "No Hunting" or the like, you can hunt there. NH law, perhaps?

I certainly don't want to kick someone when they are down, but I do hope the owner took the proper precautions. I've hiked with a black lab quite often, and now have a redbone coonhound. As you can see from the shot of herhead, she has deer coloring. Trust me...her body looks like a 60 lb. deer. I never go out in the woods at this time of the year without her orange vest and collar with a bell on it. I do still go out, however.

Last edited:
Absolutely tragic. I won't bash hunters in general, since there are good and bad hunters, just as there are good and bad hikers or dog handlers.

I still go out too, with dog and without. I try to avoid areas that I know are hunted. I wear lots of orange and/or other obnoxious non-natural colors, and the tie bells to my dog's collar as well as my shoes or pack, the dog typically stays on leash, and I try to make more noise. I take these precautions in areas posted no hunting as well, since a sign isn't always enough to dissuade the irresponsible.

On a happier note, gotta love the occasional stories where the hunter's dog shoots the hunter!
http://waterandwoods.net/news.php?item.212

In the fall, I do not go on a hike w/o an orange vest and my dog does not go on a hike without his orange vest and his bell. He and I feel it is better safe then sorry. I would have thought the owner of that poor dog would have had a basic notion of hunting season and taken some precautions. Oh and that hunter is a piece of doo doo, he made a mistake... and should have owned up to it, instead of taking off.

This thread hits home in a lot of areas. I hike a lot, have had dogs my whole life, love Goldens, and do a little hunting. Can't imagine how painful that must have been for the dog and owner.

That said, this is the kind of thread where emotions can get out of hand. Its good that no one has taken out the whupping stick on account of one bad "sportsman".

From the NH Fish and Game Website:

"Based on long-standing tradition, nearly all lands in the state of New Hampshire are open to hunting. The "rule of thumb" in New Hampshire is: all state, federal, municipal, county and private land is open to hunting unless it is posted against hunting. However, hunting is a privilege granted by the landowner -- not a right granted to the hunter."

Here is the link:

NH Fish and Game

Maddy, by "The Catamount is OUT!" do you mean the mountain lion or...?

Andrew (the dog owner) is an old friend of mine from when I worked in Nashua. This one is pretty close to home, I'll have to drop him a line and send my condolences.

-dave-

Maddy, by "The Catamount is OUT!" do you mean the mountain lion or...?[/QUOTE]
No...not the mountain lion. The Catamount Trail in VT.
It's nice for skiing, snowshoeing, hiking and runs 300miles through the State of VT.

I know that guy....

We went skiing in Utah last year. He was a friend of a friend of a friend. He never stopped talking about his dog while we were there. Damn shame.

Mike

to be sure.....

.... the rules of hunting are simple.... "KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT"!

This guy didn't follow the rules, and it could easily have been a person.

Mike

I agree, don't shoot until you see the white of their eyes! you see this every year. You know your cousin is to the left of you, you hear a noise to the left and turn and fire. The guy kills his cousin becouse he thought a deer wears a orange vest? Guns don't kill dogs, people do. Funny, the guy with the gun turns out to be the cowand and runs away. I hope the catch him.

Very sad indeed. Damn shame..... :(
I love dogs (I have 3 golden retrivers) and have had dogs all my life. I have hiked with them (and yes they are leashed), take them camping and taken them just about everywhere else with me. They are the best companions you could ever ask for. My thoughts and sympathies go out to the Duane family.

I sure hope they catch the guy that did this :mad:

sad

I got my first dog 3 yrs ago, rescued from a pound in Colorado. She is a Keeshound and goes with me everywhere, I cannot imagine losing her in such a way, she is literaly my bestfriend. I send my deepest condolances to the owner who lost his dog, I thought I was tough but this story made me very sad. :(