Lodging in Gorham

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srombach

Reaction score
I am coming from Delaware and am looking for a place to stay for weekends this winter. I am familiar with the area, but have always stayed in Lincoln(the river bank motel). Are there places to stay near Gorham that offer kitchenettes and inexpensive lodging? Thanks.

Steve

I'm not sure if they offer kitchenettes, but we have stayed many times at the Mt Madison Motel in Gorham and they are clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and well run.

Hope this helps
:)

The Mt Madison's website says they're closed for the winter, reopening March/April.

I'm surprised, we've stayed there in the winter before and they always seemed to have plenty of guest with snowmobile trailers parked there as well as Wildcat skiers and other climbers and hikers. Could be related to their announcement of purchasing a campground 1/2 hour north of Gorham that they're running this winter for snowmobilers?

They didn't have any kitchenettes anyway. The little cabins at Johnson's in Twin Mountain do, but that's a solid half-hour drive from Gorham.

Most hotels in Gorham are closed in the winter, which doesn't make much sense. The only place I've stayed at in Gorham in the winter time was the Royalty Inn.

Its a shame, really.. The main street area has alot of potential, but North Conway sucks all the tourism up.

The "Town and Country" just down the road from Gorham is O.K. And the hot tub feels great after a cold hike.

There really isnt a low cost housekeeping lodging option in Gorham that I am aware of. Town and Country in Shelburne has some efficiency rooms with some kitchen equipment but they tend to rent them out for longer term business renters. I talked to a construction worker on the wind farm that got a $150 per week rate for a room at T&C.

Royalty also has some efficiency units, but they to tend to be booked by long term renters and the hotel is the most expensive in town. There is one more motel next to the chinese restaurant (Gorham Motor Inn?) that advertises fridges in some rooms.

The reason many motels close in Gorham in the winter is that there isnt enough demand and the cost of heating rooms that are inevitably poorly insulated is a big cost. The Mt Madison is a special case, it has been for sale for a couple of years and I think the owners are looking for some time off.

There is another small motel in Shelburne NH on RT 2, I expect if you talk to the owners you can work out a deal as they live next door and dont seem to be real busy. Even if you have to buy a microwave and a dorm fridge at walmart, if you can leave it there during the week it may be worth it as if they are paying off loans, it would be steady income.

An off the wall suggestion is the Philbrook Farm Inn, no efficiency units but it may be worth giving them a call and working out a deal as its their slow season and its hard to beat the history of the place. The owners live in the Inn and you cant beat the view.

It is true the Mt. Madison is closed this winter and also the Gorham Motor Inn...both had been open in winter..bad year I guess..also saw no vacancy on Jefferson Notch Motel so will be checking out that soon, and will try to see what info i can come up with for the Shelburne one..that seemed to be busy this summer with motorcycles..Royalty, T and C, and Hiker's Paradise only ones open in winter in Gorham that I know of..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they offer kitchenettes, but we have stayed many times at the Mt Madison Motel in Gorham and they are clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, and well run.

My room had a fridge, coffeemaker, and I think it had a microwave.

Too bad they are closed.

The small motel in Shelburne, now known as Birch Bend, is closed for the winter according their marquee sign.

Breeze

There is one more motel next to the chinese restaurant (Gorham Motor Inn?) that advertises fridges in some rooms.

I stayed there once in summer. Crappy bed, annoying springs, loud bikers and someone else's food was left in the dorm-sized fridge. They mention snowmobiling as a pastime and I vaguely recall questioning their cheapest rate which they mentioned was only available weekdays in winter.

http://gorhaminn.com/

Tim

As Lefty mentioned, Gorham Motor Inn appears closed for the winter. Then again November/early December is regarded as the equivalent of "mud season" in the spring. Many businesses close down for vacation and reopen later in the winter when there is snow on the ground and the ski areas are open.

21 bucks at Hiker's Paradise for the hostel which has kitchen facility and bunkroom...no one around at Jefferson Notch Motel today will keep an "eye" on it and update when driving by and see someone there..Breeze is correct about Birch Bend..

AMC's Joe Dodge Lodge is also an option, if it's not too far for a particular hike, and it includes breakfast and dinner. They often run deals, and rates are discounted for members. Outside of Hiker's Paradise, it's probably the best deal in the area.

The trick is never to admit you've stayed there on this BB, as you run the risk of get red-squared and bombarded with verbal abuse! ;)

Town and Country for the last few years goes for the group and tour business. It can get a bit noisy on weekends with groups hanging out in the halls with coolers and kids playing hockey.

As peakbagger reported earlier, some motels close for the "fall mud season" and Jefferson Notch Motel is one..stopped in today and they will be open for winter..only one cottage with kitchen is open and the motel rooms do not have kitchens and only 1/2 the rooms come with a fridge..hope this info is helpful!