WMNF....little photo quiz for non-experts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Some folks will breeze through this. But the casual part-time hikers (yes, there are lots of us) might find this interesting. All photos taken in White Mountains. What are the photos of and/or where are they taken from?

Small request: If you know most/all of them, please don't post your answers right away. Let people play for a while. Thanks.

Photo #1
IMG0056edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #2
IMG0203edited-2-M.jpg

Photo #3
IMG0300edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #4
IMG0154edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #5
IMG0802edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #6
IMG0790edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #7
IMG4106edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #8
IMG5810edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #9
IMG5857edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #10
IMG5911edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #11
IMG6038edited-1-M.jpg

Photo #12
IMG5997edited-1-M.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, this just makes me realize how little I know of the Whites. I can only make guesses on three of those...

Let's see: Guyot Campsite, Lafayette from somewhere on Bond, and Washington from somewhere on Madison? Did I get any of those right?

Great post! I'm interested in seeing where the rest of these are from. Or if I'm right at all about my three guesses.

Guthook, No...No...and No.

Tim, good point. I added numbers. I assume you meant 1 thru 12, not just some randomly generated numbers :).

Davehiker, No.

Let me know if you want hints. It was tough for me to thread the needle between making them too easy vs too difficult. Obviously looking for a happy medium, like in any other game/quiz.

1. Speck Pond Campsite
2. Hermit Lake Shelter
3. Lonesome Lake from Hi-Cannon Trail
5. Lincoln from Bondcliff

and two guesses:
6. Covered Bridge going to Moats Trailhead
8. Willey from Webster Cliff

#8 is not from Webster cliff as webster cliff is right across the street from Willey my guess for #8 is mt crawford.

#7 - The infamous former suspension bridge over the Pemi East Branch. (Molly's Folly)

#8 - Mt. Willey, Crawford Notch, and Mt. Webster as seen from Mt. Crawford. Frankenstein Cliff in there as well. Great peak (For those hell-bent on the 48, maybe take a break and hike Mt. Crawford. :))

#10 - Mt. Lafayette and Eagle Cliff as seen from Artist's Bluff/Bald Mtn. Probably Artist's Bluff to be exact.

#11 - Mt. Hale and Zealand Hut as seen from the Whitewall Mtn. talus.

Last edited:
Crud, I should have known 11, I have almost the exact same photo... :(

Guthook, No...No...and No.

Doh! I guess I have some learning to do. Those are some great pics, by the way. Once I find out what they all are, I've got some places to visit!

So far, here are the correct answers verbatim (submitted publicly or via PM)...

1-Garfield Shelter water
2-
3-Lonesome Lake from Cannon/Hi-Cannon
4-
5-Lincoln from Bondcliff
6-Covered Bridge going to Moats Trailhead
7-
8-#8 is not from Webster cliff as webster cliff is right across the street from Willey my guess for #8 is mt crawford.
9-"That viewpoint" on 302 near Sawyer River Rd
10-Mt. Lafayette and Eagle Cliff as seen from Artist's Bluff/Bald Mtn. Probably Artist's Bluff to be exact.
11-Mt. Hale and Zealand Hut as seen from the Whitewall Mtn. talus.
12-is #12 the fireplace off sawyer pond rd?

So that leaves 2,4, and 7.

...Once I find out what they all are, I've got some places to visit!

Warning: Hint ahead. Check out your backpack trip in your blog with this title, "White Mountains AT, 7/6 - 7/10/11 ". You hiked right past photo #4. :)

Warning: Hint ahead. Check out your backpack trip in your blog with this title, "White Mountains AT, 7/6 - 7/10/11 ". You hiked right past photo #4. :)

Well then... I'd guess somewhere near Zealand?

Or the bridge that carries the Great Gulf Trail over the Peabody River?

hmmmm those birches look familiar!!!! I am kind of ruling out the suspension bridge over the pemi at Lincoln Woods... I was thinking it could be the Great Gulf bridge, too!!! Regardless, it's one of the biggies!!!!