Favorite Ponds in the White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
What are everyone's favorite backcountry ponds in the White Mountains? There are so many great ones and I've only visited a few of them.

My favorites so far...
~ Lonesome Lake
~ East Pond (between Tripoli & Kanc Hwy)
~ Greeley Ponds
~ Lakes of the Clouds
~ Star Lake

I visited Falls Pond near Rocky Gorge last weekend but that wasn't really an impressive one. Kinsman Pond and Ethan Pond were both nice but not favorites. I'm assuming Flat Mountain Pond, Unknown Pond, and Mountain Pond will all be awesome.

What are your favorites?

Last edited:
Unknown, Shoal, and Garfield Ponds.

Last edited:
Not backcountry, but Perch Pond is one of my favorite spots to hang out (small, quiet and peaceful). I also liked Gordon pond, it felt fairly remote. I've yet to see one that I didn't enjoy.

Dream Lake, Gentian Pond and Mascot Pond in the Mahoosucs are all nice. I really like the view down from the ledges out over Mascot Pond and its hard to beat the waterfall right next to Gentian and the view out over the valley. Dream Lake has a surpising view of the presidentials, unfortunately no camping there.

Love Zealcliff Pond for it's location - high up a ridge and settled into a small basin.

Greeley and Gentian are also fave's

Last edited:
Flat Mountain Pond
dcp_0091.jpg

Norcross Pond
img_0595.jpg

Nancy Pond
IMG_5225.jpg

Speck Pond
mahoosuc_079.jpg

Dream Lake
img_0660.jpg

Garfield Pond
IMG_6431.jpg

Ethan Pond
IMG_0764.jpg

One of the Zealand Notch beaver ponds
IMG_4778.jpg

Check out Smith's "Ponds and Lakes of the White Mountains" and make another list to do and check off each!! For some reason I like cliffs near ponds so I go for Echo Lake (N Conway), Carter Ponds, and Basin Pond (tried to give answers not given).

Hmm, Shoal Pond, Ethan Pond, Zeacliff Pond, Little East Pond, the main pond of the Three Ponds...

and from what I've seen, I think I would love Flat Mtn Pond, Unknown Pond, Garfield Pond, among others. I need to get there. I love water.

EDIT: Kinsman Pond, completely forgot. THat is right up there in my top 5, interchanges places according to my mood.

The Pond of Safety is nice.

The view shown below (taken in April) involves a short bushwhack off the north end of the Four Soldiers Path.

100_1534.JPG
- - - - - - - - - - -
Both of the ponds listed below involve longer bushwhacks, but they are also picturesque ponds.

Duck Pond (a tiny pond located sort of due south of Norcross Pond)
Westward_Vu_Toward_Lowell_Anderson_Col.JPG

Moose Pond (another tiny pond, which is located a bit north of Blue Mountain in the vicinity of Mt Chocorua)
P1010460.JPG
- - - - - - - - - - -
Another nice pond experience which does NOT involve a bushwhack is Church Pond.
Potash_Passaconaway_1.JPG

Last edited:
I think Star Lake is awesome! That may be more of a tarn though...

It's down there frozen if you look carefully...

AdamsSummit.jpg

Last edited:
Shoal Pond was nice.

Dream Lake (despite no views the day I was there) also made a nice impression.

Greeley Ponds always are a beauty, wether seen birds-eye from the slide heading up Osceola trail or from shore line level.

Carter Lakes.

Kinsman Pond.

Norcross Pond.

Unknown Pond.

And so far my favorite "you can only get there by whacking to it" ponds is Long Mountain Pond in Nash Stream forest. According to Steve Smith's book there is supposed to be logging camp remains up there, but of course we did not know this at the time. No biggie....we have already agreed we will return some day. :D

Brian

*EDIT* Oops, how could I possibly have forgotten Lonesome Lake with the eternal classic view of Franconia Ridge from it's Western shore!?!?

Last edited:
For the remotest, Carrigain pond, combined with a bushwhack up the Captain.

Not in the mountains, but with a great view of them: Forest Lake off 142 on the Bethlehem/Littleton/Whitefield line is a great place
for a quick dip on the way home or for a picnic with the family. This is as many people as I've seen there:

IMG_7219.JPG

Not in the mountains, but with a great view of them: Forest Lake off 142 on the Bethlehem/Littleton/Whitefield line is a great place
for a quick dip on the way home or for a picnic with the family.

Forest Lake is really cool. Have been there twice and never saw a single person. The first time we went, the gate was open but the place was eerily empty. Saw some bear prints on the beach. The last time the gate was closed so we walked in and again had the place to ourselves.

Jericho Lake was nice also. I like the drive in.

What a cool thread, cool pictures of ponds I havent seen in awhile, (frieghttrain that star lake photo is freaking beautifull). My favorites, Shoal pond, Ethan pond, and not mentioned yet, Ammonousic lake ( I know I botched that spelling) behind the highland center.

There are some plans in place to install a camp ground at Jericho Lake in Berlin with a satellite campground nearby that will only be reached by ATV. Berlin signed the area over to the state ATV park. There were discussions that the state was going out for proposals to private developers but I havent heard anything solid. Perhaps AndyB would know more.

It is a very nice lake but for years it was neglected by Berlin and had a rough crowd that hung out there and left a fair share of glass behind them. If they did put in long term camper spots and some services I expect it would be a good hiking base, although the signficant ATV usage may temper the experience.