Favorite Ponds in the White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . . My favorites, Shoal pond, Ethan pond, and not mentioned yet, Ammonousic lake ( I know I botched that spelling) behind the highland center.
The spelling doesn't matter . . . I totally agree . . . Ammonoosuc Lake is a beautiful spot!

No self-respecting great pond thread could be complete without a nod to Sawyer Pond. Shoal Pond was a peaceful spot. Others mentioned could be in my top 5 on any day.

Great ones I've paddled (drive-up) are Long Pond, Lake Tarleton, and Elbow Pond.

Last edited:
There are over 80 ponds and lakes of the White Mountains listed in Steven Smith's book ... 68 chapters with some covering two or more bodies of water and, hey, there are three ponds at Three Ponds, two at Tunnel Brook, two at Greeley etc. I've checked off about 2/3. Love 'em all with the possible exception of the roadside locations.

I enjoy them especially in winter on snowshoes or xc skis.

Black Pond has a nice sunny rock at the north end to enjoy lunch ... the snow melts off it pretty fast and is a rare dry spot.

Elbow Pond is a pretty pond but shares a snowmobile route in winter.

Church Ponds and the nearby wetlands are only a short distance from the Kanc but offer good moose stalking.

For some reason East Pond is very attractive on a foggy/drizzly day.

Nancy Pond has a cold refreshing swimming hole under the falls.

I saw a bald eagle at Cherry Ponds, but no cherries.

Mountain Pond shares a snowmobile trail but it's a nice ski.

Has anyone been lost at Lost Pond?

Long may the loons live on Long Pond.

Is it futile to fish at No-Ketchum Pond?

Carrigain Pond....cliffs and active beavers

"pond" in lost pass - great place to sit on the shores in the tall grass and soak up the sun

I was surprised to see that two of my favorites have not been listed yet:

Kilback Pond, along the Kilkenny Ridge Trail

6422044971_423eac67cb_z.jpg

Harrington Pond, along the Kinsman Ridge Trail south of South Kinsman

6422044861_2e33ea0321_z.jpg

I have photos somewhere and I'll try to find and post them here later. The settings in which both of these ponds are located are fantastic.

JohnL

Last edited:
Looks to me like there is demand for an official White Mountain Ponds List and of course then there has to be the winter White Mountain Ponds List and then the of course the White Mountain Ponds grid.

Looks to me like there is demand for an official White Mountain Ponds List and of course then there has to be the winter White Mountain Ponds List and then the of course the White Mountain Ponds grid.
Yes, I'm currently compiling a list of the 100 deepest swamps in the Whites. Who's in ?

Two other ponds that I have visited and would put high on my list:

Wachipauka Pond and the view from Webster Slide Mt. It is nice that the trail to the pond is unsigned - only the left when heading south on the AT going up Webester Slide. So alot of thru AT hikers just zoom right by. great campsite in the pines.

Also, Province Pond. I went there from the north end on a trail that isn't there anymore in 1990 from a dirt road off 113. It was a rainy day with my daughter (age 8 at the time) and there was a rowboat at shore when I was there. We took it out for a ride and with visibility nill and the dead trees sticking out it was quite eerie out there.

Also, Province Pond. I went there from the north end on a trail that isn't there anymore in 1990 from a dirt road off 113. It was a rainy day with my daughter (age 8 at the time) and there was a rowboat at shore when I was there. We took it out for a ride and with visibility nill and the dead trees sticking out it was quite eerie out there.
I've been to a number of remote ponds in Maine where there were a variety of row boats and canoes stowed, in most cases unsecured and complete with oars (can't remember seeing any paddles stored). Undoubtedly they belong to fishermen and I respected them as private property ... except once ... which had some rather sad lifejackets ... which I borrowed for a couple hours, keeping my fingers crossed that its owner would not decide to come fishing that day and salving my conscience by leaving a six pack behind ...