Who's going for the 4,000 -footer winter record this year?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Seems like it would be easy to break assuming it doesn't snow much between now and the first day of winter! Anybody planning on starting it December 22nd?

Last edited:
Im to old, but I heard my dog mention she was thinking of going for it this year, but to be honest I think she was just trying to impress the boxer that just moved in down the steet.;)

Seems like it would be easy to break assuming it doesn't snow much between now and the first day of winter! Anybody planning on starting it December 21st?

Not me...but while we're on the subject, I do enjoy following someone's speed record attempt, but I'd like to hear some new ones too...

I'm not in a position to go after many records, but will work on my own personal goals....but how about:

-total summits in single winter, or single winter month, or single winter day...

-slowest successful summit of a 4,000 footer (faster is sometimes easier)...

-Maybe a single season W48 with only bag nights allowed (been done?)

-how about climbing Adams (from a TH) 3 times in one day by three routes? or twice for that matter.

-jumping from Madison's summit to Jefferson's without touching Adams... :)

I'm going to have to wait until next winter to finish the Winter48 (I have Franconia Ridge plus Adams and a few random summits left), what with going back to school in January. Doesn't everyone need 2 Masters degrees??? :confused: As it stands, next winter I'll have to do it on breaks from student teaching .... Friends and relatives thought I was nuts for winter hiking .... Another year plus of school really does make me crazy! :rolleyes:

Still, if the weather continues this way, I may not be able to help myself. :p
As for records, I'm just hoping to finish the winter list in one piece. I don't need to be a hero!

Alex says she wants to finish the winter 4Ks this season. If she does, that may make her one of the youngest to finish the winter list (I don't know who the youngest was or how old that person happened to be). She doesn't care about breaking any records, though, she just wants to finish that particular list already, since this will be her fourth season winter hiking and it's kind of bugging her that she hasn't finished it yet. If at some point she changes her mind and wants to finish next year instead, then of course that's what we'll do.

If she finishes this year she and Sage will get their awards together :)

On the same day, anyway. Sage needs her moment alone in the sun, without her sister. She has that now, by knocking Alex off the second-youngest girl spot. I think she wants to be called up alone, without Alex...which is what would happen even if Alex finished the winter list, yes? Those names are called later, after the other lists have been read, is that correct?

They fully support each other, don't get me wrong. The little sister just needs her own time to shine, her own minute to walk up by herself and get her certificate, without Alex standing beside her. ;)

If I climb a NH 4k this winter that will be 39 years in a row with at least one, is that a record?

I'm pretty sure the puppy will finish her winter 48 long before I do, and she won't be hiking most of this winter, either.

whoever attempts it, please don't hike fast.....i read somewhere that hiking fast shows disrespect for the mountains

Sooo... it seems current conditions in the Whites would be favorable for a winter record pursuer, no? Really? No one is going to try for sub 7 days this winter???

:D:confused::cool:

Sooo... it seems current conditions in the Whites would be favorable for a winter record pursuer, no? Really? No one is going to try for sub 7 days this winter???

That's what I'm saying! Of course anyone that does it may feel like their record has an asterix* next to it because the conditions were so generous.

That's what I'm saying! Of course anyone that does it may feel like their record has an asterix* next to it because the conditions were so generous.
Ascents and following trails > easier and much easier, rock exposed trails and flowing ice descents > brutal on long days and at times down right dangerous.

The best conditions may have been similiar to what the boys had two years ago, stable weather pattern, broken yet not rock hardened snow for soft fast descents. If Ryan, had had those conditions early last year it would seem obvious he could of taken atleast a day if not two off his own record; considering what he had done over the first few days with worst conditions.

whoever attempts it, please don't hike fast.....i read somewhere that hiking fast shows disrespect for the mountains
There is a rule to internet hiking: do whatever hike you want..just don't do it faster than the person reading..or you aren't doing it right or having a good time.

I personally have avoided the Whites this winter because all the ice will make it more dangerous and less fun as CRR says

And some people report their record attempts only after they are over, presumably to avoid embarassment if something goes sour - so somebody could be trying for a record right now and we wouldn't know it

Last edited:
And some people report their record attempts only after they are over, presumably to avoid embarassment if something goes sour

It's funny how many shine a negative view on it no matter what. If you announce your intentions you are a showoff looking for attention; if you announce it after you were just trying to save face incase of failure.

I believe there is a saying that applies here, "You're F'ed if you do and F'ed if you don't".

Unless you have some type of sponsorship with requirements I can't see how telling anyone besides the standing "record" holder out of courtesy should be a requirement.