Pepper spray?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steward

Reaction score
What are your thoughts for bear spray in the Northeast? I've never thought it was necessary and do not hike w it. If you take the normal precautions, bears are not a problem, humans pose more dangers. Thanks > Doug

You are correct, bear spray is not necessary in the northeast

Only if the bear is competing for goods at Walmart on Black Friday. In that case, you'll want a really big can.

On a more serious note, a good friend of mine was attacked by a pit bull a few months ago. On a hiking trail and the dog's owners were completely oblivious. The dog tore his shirt. A small canister of pepper spray might have come in handy.

In the Catskills the black bear population has been exploding the last 10 years. Another friend had her dog mauled by a bear who feared her cub was in jeopardy. And I know a number of women who carry a small canister since they often hike alone.

I realize the post is not on topic for what the OP was asking, but the spray does have some add'l uses.

Many dealers don't sell "Bear Spray". Smaller sizes sold for personal protection (keychain size) are commonly available. In New York State, no permit is needed to carry pepper spray, but you might need to fill out Federal paperwork to buy it.

just a question: do you need a permit to carry pepper spray?

In NH, no permit is required.
To carry pepper spray in your possession in MA, you must have a Massachusetts FID card issued and approved by your local MA police department.

Bear spray is a weaker version of pepper spray. Pepper spray requires a permit in some jurisdictions. I've gotten across the Canadian border, and back, acknowledging I had bear spray ... pepper spray designed to fend off human attackers would be treated like a weapon subject to similar regulation.

Bear spray is effective on bears, temporarily, because they have such a great sensitivity to smells that this weak dose does the job.

I don't normally carry it in the Northeast unless I'm backpacking or paddle camping. I figure if a bear, even a black bear, decided to acclimate itself to my human presence, it would receive a dose that might prevent it from associating campers with easy food ... perhaps helping to prevent it from becoming a nuisance.

... another reason, when camping once in Maine we heard coyotes within a few hundred feet from our tent. The Eastern Coyote is actually part wolf and larger than its western counterpart. Felt rather helpless unarmed in the tent and coyote attacks do happen, especially when normal prey is hard to come by.

Bear spray is a weaker version of pepper spray.

Yup, bear spray is regulated by the EPA and is 1-2% capsaicin, whereas personal pepper spray products are state-regulated and generally 10% capsaicin.

In Massachusetts, it is illegal for anyone, with or without permit, to use bear spray on a person.

I should also point out that while I'm not a lawyer, it appears that while a MA resident with license to carry pepper spray can take it to NH, a NH resident *cannot* legally carry pepper spray in Massachusetts.

In New York, most of the regulations on pepper spray for personal defense are related to the sale of pepper spray and not possession. Basically, it has to be purchased from a licensed firearms dealer or a pharmacy and you cannot have it mailed into NY from an outside state. Possession is totally legal though (absent circumstances such as mental illness or felony convictions). As for bear spray, the restrictions may be a bit more lax and I think it can be mailed into NY.

As for why it's regulated ... because this is the Northeast and everything is regulated.

Last edited:
Look just for those that are new to hiking in the northeast Ill give you the bottem line as far as wildlife. There is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING in regards to animals, mammals, fish, snakes or anything at all that can hurt you or you should be afraid in the White Mtns. Carrying bear spray in the Whites is not only a waste of time its showing a high degree of ignorance, no matter how light it is. Ive been around and up close to many black bears, Ive chased everyone of them off myself, once even winging a stick at a stubborn bear on the falling waters trail that wouldnt move out of my way, he moved. Now you go out west where the big boys (and big girls) play, then thats a different story.

Look just for those that are new to hiking in the northeast Ill give you the bottem line as far as wildlife. There is NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING in regards to animals, mammals, fish, snakes or anything at all that can hurt you or you should be afraid in the White Mtns.
This is demonstrably wrong. Bears, dogs, coyotes, and human are all more than capable of hurting you and they all respond to pepper spray. There are rattlesnakes in NH. Bees can send me into shock.

While I don't carry bear spray I don't need to dissuade others who have looked at the situation and decided that they feel that pepper spray is a useful tool. The world is rarely black and white, and well-informed people often come to different conclusions from a single set of facts. You might consider couching your proclamations in more nuanced tones.

The thread is about the northeast mtns.
Dave is correct. There are timber rattlesnakes and copperheads in NH, ME, VT and NY.
A rabid raccoon or coyote might be dissuaded from bothering you with spray, and pepper or bear spray is an option for the very unlikely but possible encounter with a black bear of which there are many in the northeast.
The pit bull my friend encountered on the trail may not have torn his shirt off if he'd been carrying a small pepper spray canister.
Bear spray would have probably prevented my friend's dog from the serious bear mauling it took last year in the Catskills. I'm not afraid of bears and love to see them in the wild but but sweeping generalizations shed heat not light.

This is demonstrably wrong. Bears, dogs, coyotes, and human are all more than capable of hurting you and they all respond to pepper spray. There are rattlesnakes in NH. Bees can send me into shock.

While I don't carry bear spray I don't need to dissuade others who have looked at the situation and decided that they feel that pepper spray is a useful tool. The world is rarely black and white, and well-informed people often come to different conclusions from a single set of facts. You might consider couching your proclamations in more nuanced tones.

My opinions are based on 30 years of backcountry time in the Whites and I stand by post. There are exceptions for certain people ie. bee allergys and such and those cases should approached by the individuals themselves. If poeple want to carry pepper spray by all means have at it. If I ran into someone who moved here from out west and he asked me if he should, my above post would be my answer. AS far as "couching my proclamations in a more nuanced tone" I have a right to express myself the way I see fit, I am passionate about what I believe in, people do not have to listen to my ideas, they have every right to discount them and listen to anyone else that see as more "well informed".

Status
Not open for further replies.